“don't go!!”

Oban Inn, Spa and Restaurant
Pittsburgh, PA
“don't go!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2008

The OBAN inn was our choice of hotels in Niagara on the Lake for more than 10 years. It was charming, comfortable and had a knowledgeable staff. We were shocked to check in in 2006 to see that this traditional old hotel had, for some inexplicable reason, been transformed into a spa of some sort with water falls dripping down the wall. The quaint rooms were now all done in a more modern tone -- black furniture, etc. The staff was COMPLETELY inept!!! It's not even worth my time to go into the gory details but suffice to say we will never be back! From check in to check out, the staff was unaccomodating and basically rude. We will never be back. The once cozy bar area, with red plaid carpet, now is set up as some fancy upscale restaurant. So sad to see a landmark hotel in Niagara go through such a metamorphis. My only hope is that they go out of business and someone restores the Oban to its original grandeur.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the unaccommodating staff and the change in ambiance
  • Stayed October 2006
2 Thank Lois F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2008

Would not stay there again. The price and cleanliness do not match. The inn itself is quite nice, with a beautiful new spa, however the room was shabby with stained carpets, a cracked bathroom sink and a shower that would back up.
The continental breakfast was good, but was not enjoyable because the coffee cups and dishes were soiled.

Overall, the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I would expect this kind of shabbiness from a $60.00/night motel, but not for the price I spent. I would recommend trying one of the many bed and breakfasts in the area but not the Oban Inn and Spa.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ontariotraveltrip
birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2008

WHat a wonderful hotel. How can anyone complain?

It was simple wonderful. On arrival we did have to wait for our room butwhile we waited we went to the virually deserted peaceful pool. When we got to our room it was just beautiful,

We had a full body massage and just relaxed.

We ate in the hotel restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it.

When we got back to our room there was a rose laid on the bed.

I truly loved it here.

1 Thank vicbirmingham
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

We live in Toronto, and took a 2 day vacation in NOTL to visit wineries, relax, spa and unwind.

Looked at the Oban Inn website and I was impressed. Great location, looked clean and modern, spa and outdoor pool. We booked two nights and were very pleased with this choice. Hotel is very well kept, clean, great location. Spa is nice, but small (not really full service). We booked a couples massage and we both enjoyed our massages.

Rooms are small, but very comfortable. Turn down service every evening.

Saltwater pool is very nice, unfortunately the weather was rainy during our stay, and we didn't have an opportunity to take full advantage.

Complementary breakfast every morning was excellent, although I was a little disappointed that latte or cappucino were extra ($5).

Ate dinner one night at Tony De Luca's restaurant in the hotel and it was amazing. Paired with an excellent Niagara Dry Riesling.

Would definately stay again and would highly recommend hotel over some of the larger properties. Oban is more intimate.

• Liked — Confortable rooms and restaurants
  • Disliked — Small Rooms with thin walls
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2008

Not worth the money. There are plenty of really nice B&Bs in NOTL at less cost. The pool area is really old. The pictures on line make it look better than it is. The heated outside spa is warm at best and out of 10 jets only 2 were working mildly. Not a spa at all! The towels are at best Fairfield Inn quality...thin and small...and they dole them out like they are gold. Twice we had to ask for another set of towels. I had their $80 pedicure which was OK until the point of the polishing. I brought my own nail polish...which the gal used....but she must have not wiped my nails clean of oils before polishing because when I got outside I noticed the polish was runny and the color had gone from my coral polish to some deep pink color..I noticed the top coat she used had a redish/pink color..not clear..must have used it on a red polish which then when applied to my nails turned my polish redish pink..she must have noticed it.as the runny affect of the polish was obvious..but she never said a word. Not the spa quality hotel or spa area I am used to. And as a previous reviewer had warned..the garden rooms (we had room 305) are OK..but butt up to a major air conditioning unit and you hear the drone of the unit all night and day. Also I expected to be able to be in my room with the door open to the lovely gardens...you can't..there are no screen doors , so you are sealed in the room with the air conditioner droning on and can't appreciate the gardens.. Not what I wanted...the whole experience cost us $708 for 2 nights...not worth it.

• Liked — high ceilings, Bose Radio
  • Disliked — Small bathroom, no screen doors to enjoy the gardens from inside the room
1 Thank RovingNomad
paris, ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

We stayed at the Oban Inn June 13 for our 10th anniversary. This was the first time we stayed since the changes from the old English style to the new contemporary style. Our room was kind of small, had one Queen bed was tastefully decorated, cozy and very clean. The bed was sooo comfortable. Most memorable was our couples massage which was very relaxing and the best I have ever had. The front desk staff were very friendly and helped with our winery tour and dinner arrangements. They helped my husband suprise me with a horse drawn carriage ride through town. Wish we could spend more than one night! Definitely a special treat.

• Liked — Clean, Comfortable Bed, Great Spa
  • Disliked — Small Rooms
Worcester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2008

We booked in on a package deal which was for one night ,a bottle of wine in the afternoon a three course meal in the evening and breakfast.This cost nearly 350 dollars.So we expected something fantastic,how wrong we were.The wine did not arrive till 6.30,just before we were going for our meal.So we thought under the circumstances we would take the wine with us to enjoy with the meal.We first spoke to a very unfriendly lady restaurant manager who informed us that if we wanted this wine with our meal it would be 25 dollars corkage.I said I am not prepared to pay any more money as it was there fault the wine arrived late.She insisted that if we did not pay we could not drink it,so the wine was sent back to our room.On sitting down the first thing they gave us was the wine list,which I rejected,so we had water with the meal.The portions of the meals are so small they would not feed a mouse.Dont stay here if you like to eat.The waitress was o.k. so we gave her a tip in cash,only to find on the bill at checkout another tip of 10 dollars was added.

• Liked — The Room.
  • Disliked — The Restaurant.
1 Thank p1nty