“Argus House”

Argus House
Buffalo, New York
“Argus House”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Argus House was my first stay at a B&B. I've been reluctant to book a stay at a B&B because my idea of a vacation is solitude, but I've heard good things about B&Bs in general so I thought I'd give it a try. Thankfully it was a great experience! Jim, the owner, made a delicious breakfast each morning that always included a good portion of fresh fruits, often locally grown. He is very knowledgable on local outdoor activities, especially kayaking and biking, and gave my fiancé and I directions to a great hike down in the gorge of the falls where we enjoyed a memorable picnic at the water's edge. Jim was pleasant but not overwhelming, which was a relief to me! Looking forward to another trip to NOTL and a stay at Argus House in the near future!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Niagara Room which was spacious and had a great bathroom! No complaints!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jared248

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Hubby booked at Argus several weeks ago. Full discussion of our needs specifically Internet as we are working while on the road We arrived mid afternoon Innkeeper not home. We found printed instructions for Internet access but could not connect and my computer utility indicated no Internet access. We found phone number for "Jim" the Innkeeper,reached him. "Oh, yeah, my Internet is down,..I've been trying to get it restored" The indication was this was not a new,sudden problem We felt we should have been made aware.
We informed Jim we were leaving and left.

Room Tip: Reserve but in case of specific needs wise to check again shortly before arrival.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bobbsie

Travellers are raving about these Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We book this on line and ignored some of the comments, they were often unjustified. We found Jim an amiable host who left you to your own devices without crowding you with conversation. The rooms were clean and well presented and showed remarkable value for the area. We would book this again, thank you Jim

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian Y
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My husband and I recently returned home after spending a couple of pleasant nights at Argus House. This was our third stay at the B&B and we appreciate the simplicity of the decor, the quietness of the place, and the owner, Jim, who is usually only around at breakfast time -- which is fine with us. We have stayed in other B&Bs, in Niagara-on-the-Lake and elsewhere, where the rooms are stuffed with antiques and pot-pourri, the host/hostess seems to need to entertain us, and the house is busy and noisy. We prefer quiet and privacy. Our breakfasts at Argus House have always been fine; Jim takes into account our dietary requests and still produces food we like and enjoy -- and not so much as to be stuffed and uncomfortable or feel sorry to leave food behind, as has happened in other places where the owner then berated us for not eating enough!

Room Tip: We usually stay in the Niagara Room but next time we have decided to book the suite since it is larg...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zoomer013
Ontario
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I wish I had read reviews of this establishment before booking- it is definitely not a good example of what B&B's are all about. Our room was superficially clean, a closer inspection showed a coffee table gritty with dirt! The linens and towels were of a very good quality. Breakfast was very much IHOP- packaged waffle, processed whipped cream product, tiny fruit garnish. The host was clearly not interested in his guests- interactions were very uncomfortable.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank voyagebeaucoup
New Hartford, NY
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was not the usual B & B. It was sparsely furnished and wasn't welcoming. The host wasn't there when we arrived and we never saw him until the next morning for breakfast. He barely spoke. When he did it was as if we were an intrusion.

Room Tip: Room was clean, but shower curtain was moldy.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Linspj
Oshawa, Ontario
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We have been in B&B's in Stratford, Ottawa, Cobourg and Niagara-on-the-Lake. They have all been comfortable and welcoming. The owners have been friendly and caring. In our search for a new experience while seeing two plays in Niagara-on-the-Lake, we came across Argus House(it was listed in the "A's in the NOTL B&B listings). It appeared to be what we needed - close to the theatres, at a good price. No reviews were available, but we reserved anyway. When we arrived, the owner was not there, but had left details on a sign at the door. We got to our room(The Niagara) and unpacked. It was a fairly large room with hardwood floors, a "king" bed(two twins bolted together) and an ensuite bath. The linens were first-rate. We did notice, however, that there was not a radio or TV(not a BIG problem, but ...). Some cobwebs were present above the bathroom sink(I'm picking at nits, but the place could have been cleaner!). I had a bit of a cold, but saw that there was no kleenex present(I used one of the many toilet paper rolls). The owner had since arrived, so we decided to ask him for ice to add to our celebratory drink(welcome back to Niagara-on-the-Lake). When asked if he had any ice, he replied, "Sure - for ME!". "Just a few cubes for our drink," said my wife. "I don't promote drunkenness here", said the owner. "You're not going to 'hang around' here, are you?", he said. "I don't want 'loiterers' ". There was no living room area in which to "loiter", anyway! We ended up getting ice from the Sunoco station on the corner. The owner later said that he would have to charge us extra if ice was available. "You won't find a better place at this price", he stated. The first morning, we heard people talking in the dining area, so we went down to meet them. Two smiling girls sat eating their breakfast, so we sat with them and started talking. The owner came in and said, "Breakfast is at 9:00(it was 8:20 at the time). This is a special for these girls so they can get to an appointment". My wife said, "Sorry - we didn't realize the situation". "Didn't you read the SIGN?", he snipped. The reservation system states that 10 days MUST be given when cancelling a stay. Given the opportunity, we would have, but we couldn't without being charged. Truth be told, the breakfasts were tasty and hot, and the people we met were friendly(Americans from upper New York and Pennsylvania). Our friends stayed in the newly-renovated "Canadiana suite downstairs. It was very large(a little more expensive) with a sitting area, bar fridge and an area carpet surrounded by hardwood(under the carpet was underlay on top of the basement floor - no hardwood). The owner could have done much more to make his clients" stay cosy and home-like(as we have experienced in ALL the other B&B's we have stayed in). The first thing the owner said to me was - "I've got a deal in the works to divide this lot into 3 or 4 lots and get out of this business. A developer has already shown interest". Maybe that would be a good idea.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends