“Loved every detail of our stay at this beautiful and cozy B & B”
Review of Merlot House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Merlot House
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Had such a fabulous time at Merlot House during our girls' mini-getaway. Michael and Shirley were most gracious and thoughtful in every way. Their attention to detail in their furnishings, decor, treats, yummy soaps, home baked goods and stocked pantry was much appreciated.
I would bring my friends back to enjoy this beautiful experience.
Thank you for a wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: Every room was exquisite!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband enjoys planning "mystery destination" trips for us and I never know where we are going until we arrive. We left our home in West Virginia on Friday, July 6th, having no clue where we were headed. Imagine my surprise when we arrive at the Canadian border and he pulled out our passports. When the border agent asked where we were going, he handed her some papers and told her our destination was a surprise for me. She smiled and said nothing about our destination. Once we crossed the border, the road took us through vineyards on either side of the road for as far as we could see. I still had no clue where we were headed until we arrived in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario. When we pulled into the driveway of the Merlot House, I was taken by the beauty of the home with its bright blue front door and small fountain by the front stairs. Our innkeepers, Mike and Shirley, met us at the front door and gave us a tour of the downstairs dining room and sitting room, complete with a laptop for the guests' use as well as access to a phone. We did not have an international calling plan for our cellphones so we couldn't use them while we were there so being able to call home was greatly appreciated.

Shirley then took us upstairs to our room. It was beautifully decorated and spacious. I was particularly happy that it was very cool since it was in the 90's outside. There was also a ceiling fan as well. The ensuite bathroom was lovely with a jacuzzi bathtub which came in handy after long walks. After getting settled in, my husband informed me that he had another surprise in store for the evening. He had secured front row seats to "Ragtime" which was being performed that evening as a part of the Shaw Festival. We decided to walk from the B&B into the main part of town (it was a short 5-6 blocks and was especially enjoyable because of the tree-lined sidewalks and the lovely flowers in front yards along the walk.) We had dinner at the Grill on King restaurant and the food was delicious. After dinner we walked through a few shops before heading over to the Shaw Theatre for the show. If you have never seen "Ragtime" and have the opportunity, it is not to be missed. After the show, we walked leisurely back to the Merlot House and turned in for the evening.

Saturday morning's breakfast was scheduled for 9 a.m. (which I greatly appreciated since I actually slept in that morning). We were greated with fresh fruit and scones which was then followed by the main course. Sunday and Monday mornings' breakfast were just as delicious and inviting.

We again walked to town and spent most of the day visiting all of the shops and boutiques on the main street. Richard is not much of a shopper but he enjoyed sitting on the many benches available outside of the shops and people watching. We again attended a show on Saturday and Sunday nights which was wonderful.

It was so nice to come back to the Merlot House knowing how lovely and how comfortable everything was there. Shirley was so very helpful in directing us to available activities, such as winery tours, which we took advantage of on Sunday afternoon. It was so nice to have her recommend different places we could visit during our stay.

I told my husband before we left on Monday that I wanted to come back as soon as possible because I now had a new "favorite place" to visit. I highly recommend the Merlot House for many different reasons, some of which I have already covered. Mike and Shirley were such gracious hosts and it felt more like visiting family than staying in a B&B. If you have the chance to go to NOTL, make it a point to stay at the Merlot House. I know you'll love it as much as we did!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We spent the second half of our "theatrical" honeymoon at NOTL to take in the shows of the Shaw Festival. My wife wanted to stay in a B&B, and since I had never been in one, I consulted Trip Advisor. The Merlot House was highly recommended, and we found it to live up to every review. Michael and Shirley were exceptionally gracious hosts. The Chardonnay Room was a cozy fit for newlyweds, with bird and golf decor. The breakfasts were practically worth the price of the room for they were exquisite, featuring locally-grown fruits. We thoroughly enjoyed dining with the other guests as we were served in high style. While neither my wife or I had any dietary concerns, another guest was served a separate vegan meal that was as beautifully presented and prepared as the rest (we had smoked salmon and eggs one day, Belgian waffles the next). Not only that, but the hosts presented us with a wonderful wedding gift! If we had to name a drawback, it would only be that summer time temps made the distance to town a little far for walking, though the drive was only about 3 minutes.

We were just so pleased to be able to call this B&B our home for the weekend, and that is just how it felt. Thank you for the memories!

Room Tip: The Merlot Room is the largest one.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you very much for your great review. We are glad you spent your honeymoon with us and hopefully you will return to our B&B. Maybe for an anniversary.
Regards

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We found Merlot House surfing the web and checked out their website. The B&B looked wonderful and the breakfasts sounded good too. AND IT WAS ALL TRUE! Michael and Shirley are warm and friendly hosts who made us feel welcome. The breakfasts were delicious. The ambiance warm and inviting. We will be back!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you very much for your great review. Hopefully we will see you again in the not too distant future.
Warm Regards

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Staying at Merlot House is as comfortable and cozy as being at home - with lots more thoughtful attention! Breakfasts are delicious and satisfying enough to allow you to skip lunch if you'd like to see a play or do more shopping or sightseeing. A truly beautiful place to stay with the nicest hosts imaginable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Merlot House offered everything my husband and I were looking for: a beautiful, pristine, charming, comfortable place to stay. Our suite and bath appointments left nothing wanting. And, oh, the breakfasts - absolutely delicious. Our hosts, Mike and Shirley, were warm and great to chat with. And,they are devoted to the comfort and pleasure of their guests.
We highly recommend Merlot House!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Michael and Shirley made our 25'th anniversary a vacation to remember. Their thoughtfullness and hospitality exceeded our expectations. The B&B was immaculate and its furnishings delightful. Breakfast each day was a treat and we never had the same meal twice. Their knowledge of the area and their dining and excursion tips were greatly appreciated. We are not one to repeat a vacation but the experience we had at the MERLOT HOUSE is one that we would readily duplicate. Thank You Mike and Shirley.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Merlothouse, Owner at Merlot House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2012

Hello again
Thank you very much for your kind review. We hope you had an enjoyable trip back to St. Louis and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Your hosts