“Still dreaming if my lunch!”
Review of Trius Winery

and up
Niagara Falls and Winery Helicopter Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Trius Winery is a Niagara winemaking pioneer. For more than 30 years, we have been crafting fine VQA wines from premium grapes grown in the four appellations of Niagara-on-the-Lake. Nestled between the Niagara escarpment and Lake Ontario, we have made our home in a wine growing region that provides the diversity to grow a number of varietals in unique growing conditions. Our winery provides both a wine and culinary journey like no other. A visit to Trius Winery is an unrushed sensory experience, a time out that lets you taste, feel and discover. Our wines and menus are inspired by the seasonal evolution of the vines that surround us, and the local produce that grows beside them. Our wines, our dining, and our daily events for the wine lover and Wine Club members make Trius Winery the perfect destination for your wine country visit.
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Still dreaming if my lunch!”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I went to Trius Winery at Hillebrand last week with a group of friends for Fabulicious. It was my first time at the restaurant and I couldn't have had a better experience. The wait staff was extremely attentive and prompt. They took the time to explain each course, even when all four of us had different dishes.
The meal was outstanding! The chicken liver parfait was the best parfait/pate I've ever had in my life and I've eaten at Alinea and other world-renowned restaurants. My burger was to die for with the homemade ketchup; better than Heinz. The pear dessert was an excellent course to end the meal. Thank you to the dining room staff for ensuring such an enjoyable visit. Can't wait to go again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Falling Waters, West Virginia
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Best wine tasting and staff”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I got a certificate for wine tasting at Hillebrand and three other places. This is, by far, the location the has the best tasting wines. The employees are totally fine with you admitting that you may not know as much about wine as you would like, and they are completely open to educating you. if you so please. Their wines are by far the best I'd tasted between the four that we had tasted, and I hope to go back soon to replenish our wine cabinet.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Rachel N
Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Rude, rude, rude!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stopped by this winery on the way back home, as this was 1 out of 4 wineries we had a free tasting voucher for. This was the last winery we stopped at with the vouchers and I'm glad it was because we probably would have just continued home and not even bothered! Upon our arrival we went up to the bar and it took at least five minutes for anyone to even acknowledge we were there. We tried to say hi and smile but nothing was reciprocated back and they were hardly busy.Finally the young gal working rudely placed 3 glasses in front of each of us and gave us a menu. We then showed her the vouchers and it was like we were showing her a skinned cat or something that was how disgusting the look on her face was. She then gave us another menu and told us we had to choose off of a completely different menu. The "voucher" menu only consisted of merlot, chard, a harvest wine and something else- not sure and really don't care . Ok I was already upset at the lack of hospitality we had received at this winery and this just put me over the edge. If you want to offer a different menu for those who have vouchers that's fine. A tasting is only a mere $7 for 3 wines off of their full menu and we would have had no problem paying as it's only $7 for God's sake! However the overall rudeness of everyone there just make we want to get the H$LL out of there! In regards to the other wineries we visited- they were unbelievably friendly and very hospitable.

In retrospect I wish I would have taken time to speak to someone about the girls redic behavior but I was so appalled by her I had to leave. I have no idea her name (why would she be polite and introduce herself?) She was working at the tasting table around 1 pm on Saturday, November 9th. She needs a serious talking to about the way she carries herself, because perhaps she is a schizophrenic and didn't take her meds that day.....we even caught her making snide faces towards the other guests as they looked away- who does that?? We will never return- DO NOT waste your time.

5 Thank melissamac80
Ohio
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Pretty Winery”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stopped at Trius as part of a package we purchased on Groupon. We're not from the area & didn't know what to expect on a chilly Friday afternoon. The winery wasn't very busy, when we arrived we weren't sure where to go for a tasting, initially we went to the restaurant where they directed us to the wine shop. It was very nice & spacious inside the wine shop, with lots to look at and lots of things to purchase. We went up to the tasting bar & Amanda came over to help us. She was very informative & friendly! We each had 3 tastings, I had sweet, lighter wines.. my husband had drier, crisper wines. We both enjoyed them all. The only thing I was surprised about was at this winery (and several others we came to find out) you aren't able to purchase a glass of wine. You could do tastings & purchase bottles to take home.. but you couldn't actually buy a glass of wine & sit down to drink it. We're from Northeast Ohio where there are many wineries, so we were expecting to be able to get a glass and sit down at the winery, this wasn't the case. We were pretty bummed about that, Amanda said it was because of their licensing.. she was able to recommend some other wineries were you were able to purchase wine by the glass. Overall we enjoyed out time here, I wish it would have been a nice day and we could of walked around the grounds a bit.

Maryland
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“One of the Best Winery Tours I Ever Had”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We came to Trius as our first stop on a winery tour, and this was a great place to stop. I'd seen this winery and restaurant featured on 'Culinary Travels with Bob Eckhart' and it was great to see this winery in person. Our guide was very thorough and taught us a lot about the history of the wine industry in Ontario and specifically Niagara on the Lake, and also the history of the winery. We saw their cellars including a very special tasting room surrounded by casks of wine, and had a tasting of 4 wines - white, red, rose and ice wine. The gift shop is lovely but pricey. I would love to return and go to their restaurant!

Visited November 2013
Ciara M, Public Relations Manager at Trius Winery, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank your for sharing your review! We are delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit. We would love for you to join us again, Chef Frank Dodd's lunch and dinner menus are phenomenal! Cheers,