“Looks better online. Adequate”
Review of Shaw Club Hotel

Shaw Club Hotel
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Spent $208 for one night, and that was a sale, glad it wasn't any more.

Hotel interior looks better and more modern online then in real life, Overall clean, nice welcoming brownie, small property as with most NOTL properties and is very well situated in the main strip. Not sure if there are better options in similar price points.

Don't try to sleep on the pull out couch, worse mattress ever. Not sure why they clutter front lobby with throws and room items you can bu. Not sure why they offer this stuff, who wants to buy a plastic fish soap dish you can get anywhere? For me it cheapens the whole feel but that's me being pick and I did think from the photos online that I was staying in a more modern styled hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lilyTO w
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for your comments. We do not have feather top mattresses on our pull out sofas, however it should still be very comfortable to sleep on. I will be going through all of our deluxe king rooms that have a pull out sofa to ensure they are comfortable for our future guests. I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused, we would have welcomed the opportunity to move you to a different room. We created our retail area based on the demand from our guests wanting to know where we get all of the items we place in our rooms (I'm surprised you say you can get the fish bone soap holders anywhere as they are our top seller and most guests comment on how unique they are). We have added a few lamps in the lobby but otherwise, our pictures online were taken onsite and are exactly as the property is currently presented. We do hope you will give Shaw Club another try some time so that we can have the opportunity to provide you with the experience that we have become known for.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Our stay at the Shaw Club was a wedding gift from friends who bought it for us because they loved their stay there a couple of years ago so much.

When I called to make our reservation, the person I spoke to was very friendly and helpful. They explained that as it was relatively short notice the only rooms they could offer us were in their annex. It was explained that this was just a short walk across their parking lot. OK, so you have to go up a less than glamorous looking staircase to get to the annex rooms but compared to the rest of our experience of the Shaw Club, it didn't matter to us at all.

The room was a good size, well maintained, modern in style, with a huge and very comfortable king size bed. The large jacuzzi bath in the corner of the room may not be to everyone's taste but I certainly enjoyed relaxing amongst the bubbles with a glass of something bubbly from a local winery. The ensuite bathroom had a fantastic walk-in shower with a rain head, just the thing to wake you up in the morning.

The real highlights though were the dinner and breakfast experience at Zees (the Shaw Club's restaurant). The food was out of this world, simply fantastic, but what really made it for us was the service. Our server for dinner was John, friendly and attentive without being in any way intrusive and he knew the menu backwards. His recommendations were superb. The staff at breakfast were great too but John deserves a special mention.

Would I recommend the Shaw Club? Absolutely.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a lovely review, we truly appreciate it! I’m thrilled to hear that Zees was the highlight of your stay! Chef Jason Dobbie has created such a fabulous menu this year, as always. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our team, especially John. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel staff inviting and helpful. Good first impression upon entering the hotel. The guest lounge was small but had the essentials to ensure the guests were comfortable (coffee machine, computer with a printer set up, free dvd's for guests to use). The only downside to my stay was the fact that my standard room was outdated and the bathroom let out a musky odour. The room was clean but my friend and I couldnt get over the moist smell in the room. We told a hotel staff as we were checking out and was advised that some of the rooms have not been upgraded. We were told that the next time we return and required two separate beds, we could request for a room with a king size bed and the bed could be divided into two single beds.

Overall, it was a great hotel; a one stop shop for girlfriends looking to have a quiet getaway...comfortable room, great restaurant and a spa all unser one roof.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review, we truly appreciate it! I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed the amenities we offer here at Shaw Club Hotel & Spa. We do have two standard rooms where the bathroom has not been updated yet however they are priced accordingly. We will absolutely look into the musky odour however, as that is unacceptable. I would absolutely recommend booking one of our rooms that have a king size bed that splits into two single beds for next time. I look forward to saying hello during your next visit!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I purchased an overnight package as part of a Valentine's Day radio promotion as a gift for my husband. We didn't go until May and even tho we were there on a "deal" we were treated like special guests by all of the staff. The room was first class and comfortable. Next time we will have to go when the weather is colder so we can use the fireplace in the room - so cozy. The hotel location is convenient to everything. We ate all of our meals in the hotel restaurant (Zee's)- as the food was outstanding - I would go back just for the pressed watermelon & strawberry salad. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: We were on the street side yet it was very quiet. There probably is not a less desirable room in the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. Here at Shaw Club we don’t care how you made your reservation, if you are staying with us you’re family! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed your dining experiences at Zees Grill, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our Chef, Jason Dobbie. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

These days, there are a lot of hotels and resorts trying to mask their inefficiency and incompetency with over promise and under deliver services. Well this is not the case at the Shaw Club! What you see is exactly what you get: Professional and friendly staffs and spotless rooms! To top everything off, the hotel is directly across the street from the Shaw Festival (I mean literally!).

The Shaw Club is a well packaged hotel. This started when I made the reservation with Kylie. She worked her key board magic to identify the lowest rate available to me. The Check-In was flawless; and to top things off, there was a welcome drink ready to be poured…and I did ask for a top up which was pour with a biggest and most welcoming smile.
We enjoyed our stay so much that we made another reservation on the spot for the next Shaw Festival event.

Lisa McDonald (Guest Services Manager) needs to be singled out for being a great Shaw Club ambassador! She greeted me with her up beat personality during the check in, and continued working with me to finalize the reservation for the return visit. Lastly, when Lisa promises to touch base with you in 24 hours with a win-win solution, she delivers!
My party and I are looking forward to returning to Shaw Club very soon! Thank you Lisa and the entire Shaw Club Team!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Victor L254

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to tell the world about your experience here at Shaw Club! Kylie is one of our shining stars, I’m thrilled to hear she was able to assist you during your reservation process. The best part about my job is meeting all the wonderful people that visit us, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you and making the arrangements for your upcoming stay with us! Thank you so much for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We just got back from a two night stay to celebrate my husband's birthday and could not have chosen a better place to stay on NOTL. It was our first visit to the area and the Shaw Club made it even more special. Perfect location, wonderful staff, beautiful property, spotless rooms and a fantastic restaurant. What more could you ask for. We loved the fact it was a small property allowing for more personalized service. We stayed in a King Delux with a balacony on the first level facing the street which was perfect.
As a surprise to us, when we entered our room, the music was playing softly, the lights on, the bed turned down and a cake in a jar was waiting for my husband to celebrate his birthday ! We even had stationary with our name on it! These are the small things that make a 5 star property without the price and attitude! Thank you Shaw Club for making our stay memorable! We will be back!

Room Tip: Room 116 is a corner room on the lower level with a patio and two chairs....a perfect location!
1  Thank Saint

Thank you so much for choosing Shaw Club to celebrate your husband’s birthday! I am thrilled to hear that you appreciated and took notice of the total experience we offer from the birthday cake in a jar to the ambience when you arrive with soft music playing and the personalized stationary that are in your room for arrival. We look forward to celebrating many more occasions with you in the future!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our one year anniversary, and it was an amazing experience. The service here is so personalized. We had notes in our room specifically written for us to wish us a happy anniversary, and this was a really nice touch. During our stay, the power went out in the whole village so we couldn't have our anniversary dinner at the restaurant where we had reserved. The concierge was SO helpful during this time. She called every restaurant in the area, trying her hardest to get us a nice dinner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! The power outage definitely shook things up in town however we appreciate your understanding, when life gives you lemons, you made lemonade- right? We look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa very soon!