“very relaxing stay”
Review of Shaw Club Hotel

Shaw Club Hotel
“very relaxing stay”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

my husband and i stayed for 2 nights....the staff was very welcoming and friendly...we liked the personal touch of personalized welcome note. Our room had a jacuzzi and fireplace . I had a wine and honey facial at the spa ( the best facial ever!)

Room Tip: King Annex room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor! I’m thrilled you had such a memorable stay and took notice of all the little details that made your stay that much more enjoyable! I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the Shaw Spa team. I look forward to saying hello during your next visit!

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the beautiful Shaw Club Hotel & Spa courtesy of a gift card romance overnight package. Everything was perfect, complete with thoughtful touches such as the welcome birthday gift dessert for my husband! It was a pleasant surprise as I had only mentioned it in passing during my phone conversation with the hotel booking clerk. She had unexpectedly and most kindly added a few nice touches to our room when we arrived. Speaking of our room (#114) it was absolutely lovely. Spotlessly clean, all amenities in good working order, and a huge bathroom with rainfall shower enclosed with glass shower doors. A beautiful experience after a long, hot day shopping and sightseeing in town. I wanted to stay in the shower forever as it felt so relaxing and wonderful like my own private spa with massage included.
The queen-size bed was utterly luxurious and comfortable, and the bedding divine. I only wish we had such comfort in our own bed at home since at home our English Springer Spaniel finds the best spot on our bed and stays there! But, speaking of dogs, I noticed that this hotel does offer a pet-friendly room, so those dog-lovers might be able to bring their beloved pooch with them provided their dog is well-behaved and under-control at all times.
We had a fantastic dinner at Zee's Grill which was a short walk down the hall from our hotel room. It's connected to the Shaw Club Hotel so if it's inclement weather you won't even need to bring an umbrella. How perfect is that! At dinner we sat at a table outside on the terrace/patio which provided us with a good view of the theatre crowd strolling by as they admired the exquisite sculptured gardens surrounding the Shaw Club Hotel. Our meals were absolutely delicious. My husband ordered the lobster poutine as an appetizer which he described as "outstanding". Needless to say we had to do a lot of walking afterwards to work off those delectable calories we just gained, but it was well worth it. Even our breakfasts were delicious. I sampled the Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict with Avocado which was very tasty. Our waiters/waitresses were consistently friendly, polite, and helpful. Excellent service throughout our stay, including the front-desk staff who cheerfully greeted us upon our Sunday afternoon arrival to the restaurant staff who were not only efficient, but despite being very busy serving customers would nonetheless find time to answer my questions about the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake.
One final note is to thank whomever had the excellent idea of installing a tiny television monitor in the bathroom so that those of us who are FIFA World Cup soccer fans like my husband and I wouldn't miss any games! Thank you to whomever had that brilliant idea. Now, all I want to know is how can I convince my husband to install one of those tv's in our tiny bathroom?!

Room Tip: If you want a room on the ground floor, consider Room #114 which also has a walk-out patio. I think...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderfully detailed review. We truly appreciate it! I’m so happy to hear your getaway to celebrate your husband’s birthday was a success! Being a small, boutique hotel we strive to create a personal experiences each and every time and I’m thrilled to hear we accomplished this for you! The tv in the bathroom is a favourite of our guests, I’m glad it was one of the highlights of your stay! I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the food and beverage team, they will be thrilled to hear they had a hand in making your experience with us memorable. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had a most enjoyable 2-night stay here in an Annex King room. The Annex building is adjacent to the main hotel, and at first glance did not look promising; one accesses it from the parking lot (free for guests) through an industrial-quality door, and the stairwell and corridor had a downscale motel feel to them.

Happily, once inside the room things improved dramatically. While I didn't consider the furnishings to be luxurious, they were all tasteful and in good repair. The glass shower enclosure seemed new and boasted large rainfall and handheld shower heads. The king bed, though a bit firm, was comfortable. I think I would have had an even better sleep, however, had we been able to block the early-morning sunlight with curtains instead of the shutters with which our windows were equipped, with their many gaps.

The in-room jacuzzi tub was the reason for my selection of an Annex room, and I enjoyed watching the flatscreen TV while soaking. On that topic, Shaw Club has a small DVD library in the guest lounge (mostly recent Hollywood releases) for guests to watch in their rooms free of charge.

Note that there is no elevator in the Annex, unlike in the main hotel, a point that is clearly explained on the hotel's website.

The location is ideal, a short stroll from the centre of town so you don't feel like you're in a high-traffic area, yet right across from the Shaw Festival Theatre.

All the staff we interacted with were cheerful and helpful. We both appreciated the personalised welcome card and brownie in our room upon arrival.

My fiancée took advantage of their spa to have a 55-minute massage, which she described afterwards as the best she has ever had anywhere!

Do not pass up eating at their restaurant, Zees, which I have reviewed separately. Make a point to pre-pay for breakfasts there at booking or check-in to take advantage of a significant reduction in the price, just $11.95 per person, which still allows you to order à la carte.

With a 20% TA discount we paid an average of $295 per night, pre-tax. You can get a spiffier room for that amount in downtown Toronto, so when I was researching our stay I was surprised to discover big-city prices across the board for Niagara-on-the-Lake. I would have given 3 stars for value, but compared to other upscale properties in the town, Shaw Club actually offers a competitive price.

Overall, I would highly recommend Shaw Club, and we would definitely stay there again on future trips to the area.

1 Thank WMarkR
Thank you for sharing your experience with the world on Tripadvisor! It is a joy to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from dining at Zees Grill to soaking in the tub while catching up on your favorite show! I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team at Shaw Spa for the excellent treatments that they provided. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!

Glasgow
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Myself and my husband stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in June and had a lovely time. The room was quite small, with a small wardrobe, but furnished with everything you might need, including a chaise long. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and the sheets were soft. There was an automatic black out blind at the window to ensure that you had a sound sleep. The bathroom was very modern and the shower powerful and spacious.

The hotel has free wifi at reception and in the rooms.

There is a resident's lounge downstairs will tea / coffee making facilities and use of a computer. You can hire a DVD to watch in your room.

The hotel is in a great location for the shops and restaurants and is in the immediate vicinity of The Shaw Theatre and Fort George.

We paid 15 CD for the breakfast in the Grill (Zee's) downstairs which was worth the money. Really nicely presented and tasty food.

Very nice stay.

1 Thank Liz12Glasgow
I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us from the automatic blinds to the 300 count Egyptian cotton linens! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. Zees Grill is always a must when visiting beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the food and beverage team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!

Toronto
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Shaw Club was a quaint and comfortable stay in the central area of beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake. Being my first time to Niagara-on-the-Lake, I did not know what to expect in terms of hotels & quality. I definitely had a higher expectation of the rooms based on the reviews and the rates, but they ended up being pretty average with a somewhat dated feel and not much lighting. However, since we didn’t spend much time in the room, this was not an issue. The beds were very comfortable and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We rented bikes for one of the days and unfortunately had a mishap with one the bike chains which we were unable to repair ourselves. I phoned the hotel and they quickly had Zoom Bike Rentals bring a new one over, the next day they also credited the rental fee, which we definitely didn’t expect but displayed their level of excellent service. The restaurant at the hotel was very good - we ate Zee’s for quite a few meals, 2 breakfasts’, a lunch & a dinner and the food was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the service, it was pretty terrible with the exception of one we had for the dinner – Kyle. Each morning at breakfast we would wait at least 20 minutes before being greeted by anyone and when we were served we found the servers to be very forgetful and apathetic of the restaurant guests. That being said, the food was excellent and we were always able to get a table. I would definitely recommend the Shaw Club to older couples traveling without kids. We stayed for our weekend getaway with another couple, all under 30 and we would definitely consider staying here for a second visit. I just hope they are able to work out the staffing/service kinks at Zee’s by then!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review, we truly appreciate it! I’m so sorry for hear that the room wasn’t what you , we have two standard rooms that do not have upgraded washrooms however all of our rooms are equipped with king size feather top bed, 300 count Egyptian cotton linens, down pillows and duvet. The bathrooms have an oversized multi-head shower with a rain head and glass vanities with stainless steel sinks. We are very lucky to have such a great guest services team, I’m glad they were able to assist you with your bike rental. Thank you for your comments about Zees, I will be sure to pass them on to the entire food and beverage team. I’m so happy you enjoyed your stay overall, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future visits to beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My partner and I come Niagara-on-the-lake two or three times in the summer to see the full season at Shaw. We have stayed a number of places in town but this is the best so far. The rooms were comfortable and handsomely furnished, the shower is huge and everything worked well. The beds were great and the linens crisp. The staff were very attentive and friendly. One of the reasons we decided to stay here this year was for the restaurant. The food at Zees is excellent and the breakfast is great value with a number of food choices. The verandah setting for the restaurant is quite charming and really has the feel of a small town inn. If you are planning to say here, book the restaurant early as it does fill up especially for the early sitting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a walkout or balcony facing the street. It's a more interesting view than fa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Shaw Club on Tripadvisor. Zees is always a must when visiting Niagara-on-the-Lake, as you said- the verandah is the absolute perfect setting to enjoy exquisite cuisine create by our Chef, Jason Dobbie. It is a joy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Shaw Club is in a great central location, walking distance to shopping, restaurants and many other amenities. Our room was small and dark and the bathroom was old and smelled like mildew. I don't know if all the rooms are outdated, I would go back, but would request another room. The service was good and breakfast at Zee's grill was good.

2 Thank nictuc
Thank you for your comments. I’m so sorry to hear the room did not meet your expectations. We would have welcomed the opportunity to move you to a different room. I’m thrilled to hear you would choose to stay with us again if you are visiting beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to take care of all your arrangements so I can ensure you will enjoy the experience we have become known for.