“Attention to Detail”

Shaw Club Hotel
Toronto, Canada
“Attention to Detail”
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Great boutique hotel, very clean, charming layout and decor. The staff was incredibly polite, helpful and friendly.
Definitely worth staying staying in Niagara on the lake instead of going to the falls after a full day of tastings.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Shaw Club Hotel & Spa this past weekend, along with another couple. We all had a great time and loved the clean modern feel of the hotel. We were also fortunate enough to use the spa associated with the hotel which was wonderful. We received a couples massage done by the RMT's that they have at the spa. HEAVEN!!! We also enjoyed lunch at Zee's the hotel restaurant. The potato and bacon chowder was out of this world. 5-star food in a comfortable dining environment. My wife and I can not wait to come back in the summer.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CANADIANEH17
Stoney Creek Ont
Reviewed 28 February 2011

As you are aware I recently had the pleasure of staying at your establishment. From the moment I viewed it on the internet I knew it was a place of class, distinction and sophistication. During my reservation the person on the other end of the line took down my special requests and assured me that each and every detail would be followed through. Upon my arrival at the Shaw I was greeted with nothing less then sheer professionalism, the staff were very friendly, helpful, kind and considerate. The atmosphere was nothing like I'd ever experienced before, warming, inviting, "like a new rose blooming" it's beauty only got better. I had the privilege staying in suite 21, it was my temporary residence...words elude me, honestly. It was absolutely amazing, your attention to detail was over the top from the atmosphere of dim lighting, to the soft romantic music playing, the bed rolled down, pillows galore, the corner sectional, our extra guest " our fish" and most of all the incredible ensuite...".it was our rose that fully bloomed" ....We stopped and smelled the roses this weekend and I have you all to thank for this wonderful memory.

Please thank your entire staff for making our getaway a dream come true and we can't wait to visit you all once again.

I do have one request though, is there any way in the world I could obtain a copy of the cd playing in my suite that night? I'd love a copy.

Thanking you all from the bottom of my heart for all you've done and continue to do for others.

Reviewed 27 February 2011

We went for a much needed R&R overnight stay. Everything was amazing! I started off with a pedicure-Carol was so pleasant & professional-GREAT pedicure!
We loved our room-very clean & modern, with everything we needed.
Dinner was so good! great service and hospitality from Joe & Amy.
The lobster omellette for breakfast was decadant. I wish that we had booked 2 nights.
I have already recommended to several of my friends. I can't wait to go back!

Guelph, Ontario
Reviewed 20 February 2011

We visit Niagara on the Lake 4 or 5 times a year and have stayed at a variety of the local hotels and bed and breakfast facilities. Without a doubt the Shaw Club is a hidden gem. From the moment we walked in to the sleek, modern lobby to when we left, our visit was outstanding. Staff was professional and friendly without being over the top, our room was well appointed, comfortable and spotless. There were numerous little touches- two comfortable reading chairs, letterhead with our name on it, quality linens and towels, real wine glasses to name a few- that just set it apart from the same old tired rooms at the Prince of Wales and some of the other larger hotels. It had the pesonal feel of a B & B with the sophistication of a 5 star hotel. The Spa was a nice touch and added to our stay. It was well worth the price and we will return there on our next trip to NOTL. Robin and David

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Gave my wife a getaway weekend for her birthday in early January. The hotel was better than I could have ever dreamed. The staff was absolutely fantastic! Stayed in the King Suite, beautiful, comfortable room. The hotel is a very short walk into the heart of NOL. The staff was very knowledgeable regarding the area, including the vineyards. We ate at Zee's grill our first evening, the food was MAGNIFICENT...a little pricey, but nevertheless a wonderful dining experience. The hotel itself is very clean and modern, we absolutely loved the decor and overall presentation. I have to mention the staff again, everyone on staff treated us wonderfully...My wife and I travel often, both for business and pleasure and I can truly say the Shaw Club hotel and spa sticks out as one of our best experiences. My wife also loved the Shaw Spa, had a wonderful relaxing time, the spa staff was also off the charts. I absolutely recommend this hotel...as for the review below, the ice machines are located in their own little room with a door that shuts (so you cannot hear any noise from the ice machine) and the elevator is right next across from the king suite, again could not hear anything and no complaints. If you rent the King Suite, enjoy the two person jacuzzi tub, very relaxing and plenty of room for bottles of the regions fantastic wines!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Let me just say that we did our homework before we booked this hotel, but I guess you should never really believe all the "very" positive remarks.
We are seasoned travelers and have stayed in many of the fine hotels and inns in and around Niagara on the Lake. We probably visit the area 4 or 5 times a year at least.
This was our first time staying at The Shaw Club.
The front desk staff greeted us warmly and check-in was quick and effortless.
At booking we had specified we would like a quiet room. One of the "newly remodeled" king bedrooms, away from the elevator & ice machines.
Our room did NOT appear to be "newly" remodeled - the walls were marked and the carpet was stained and the one chair in the room had a broker caster.
Here is our review of our experience:
1) The room: quite small - only furniture other than the king bed was a very skinny uncomfortable hard chair. No other funiture other than a built-in wall unit that consisted of a small closet/shelves and a small built in desk area & a built in flat screen tv. (you had to be in bed to watch tv as the chair was on the same wall as the tv - you would have to be the Exorscist to watch otherwise)
2) 3 piece bathroom: no tub - big "feature" is supposed to be the "rain-head" shower. Ours did not work. Dial came off in my hand and the water temperature was very inconsistent - either very hot or freezing cold. (ended up showering with the hand held shower "just like at home" both mornings) also there is mold and mildew along the mosiac tile inside the shower.
3) Towels: only 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels & 2 face cloths. If you wrap up your hair and use a towel to dry yourself, that means your room-mate gets a face cloth or hand towel.
4) Shampoo/Conditioner: suggest you bring your own as our shampoo/conditioner was not replenished. Same with tissues - our box had exactly 1 tissue.
5) Welcoming Gift: 2 delicious home made brownies - guess the maid must of ate ours....we never received any on either day.
6) The View: a grungy back parking lot with 3 very large green garbage dumpsters.
7) Noise: Inside - walls are paper thin, we could hear our neighbors in their bathroom. Also through the wall when they coughed and laughed. Could also hear them at bed time (if you get our drift). Lots of doors slamming in the hallways. (not sure if these were other guests, exit doors or doors to the ice/water machines, but lots of doors anyway) We were woke up once after midnight and again the next morning before 7:00 with these doors. Very inconsiderate and maddening. Outside noise: repeated honking as people "locked" their vehicles with their remote devices and then clicked again, just to make double sure that it was locked - - HONK HONK HONK !!!!!!!!!!!
8) Breakfast at Zee's 5* Restaurant - European Continental Breakfast (included with your stay between 8-10am) Staff is very inexperienced, very forgetful and very oblivious to attention. We might be more understaning if it was extremely busy....but it wasn't. The "included" breakfast for two was a huge let down. We were offered tea or coffee, 2 pieces of dry toast, 2 of the smallest crousants you will ever see and 2 very small bowls of yucky plain (not vanilla) yogurt. The only good thing is a small bowl of fresh fruit, but barely enough for 1 person let alone 2 to share. Both morning, we did not get an offer of juice even though we did notice the second day that other tables had juice. What is with that ??? Also missing - our special requests for 2 spoons, a couple packets of sweetner and milk instead of cream for our tea. Again, no excuses for such poor service. We had to ask the same waitress 3 times to bring us spoons for our yogurt.
The dining room is very crowded and you are basically sitting right on top of each other. Some tables have less than 1 foot between them. On the second morning we witnessed 2 other couples complaining (to the waitress and then later to the "manager") about the quality of the breakfast. We could also hear other patrons negatively comment about the service and the "included" breakfast to each other. There is an option to upgrade to a hot item (your choice from 4 items) The cost of each item is $13.95 (50% off regular price) By the time they add the tax and you leave a 15-20% tip - it's far from "breakfast included".
9) Check-out: must be promptly by 11:00 am - we were asked if everything was satisfactory during our stay. I said, not really and that I planned on emailing. She advised the manager was on duty and would want to speak to us. I agreed, assuming it would be in private - of course it wasn't....I had to voice my concerns infront of all the other guests that were checking out. This made me very uncomfortable and really not necessary since she had an empty office available.
After explaining everything that I have stated here, she still did not do anything for us.....said she would "look into it". Time will tell, but we will not hold our breath. Chalk it up to an expensive lesson.
Told her we would not be back, nor would we recomment.
She said that left a bad taste in "her" mouth. What about our mouth????
All we can say to you, if your reading this is....if you don't mind being woke up, ignored, going hungry, all for a couple of hundred dollars PER night, then by all means, quick hurry and make a reservation at the Shaw Club.
DISAPPOINTMENT IS GUARANTEED IF YOU EXPECT LUXURY OR QUALITY

9 Thank anniek151
shawclubGM, Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
At Shaw Club Hotel and Spa we take great pride in our guests' experience and also in the countless positive reviews we receive from people here on Trip Advisor. It is also why we take reviews like this one so seriously. Although we always do our best to immediately address and correct any issues a guest may have, I feel that there are too many discrepancies here to ignore and would like to address the following points from this review;

Bathroom: After check-out I joined our maintenance team in the room to investigate the items listed on the comment card left behind by these guests. We turned on the water and were easily able to control the temperature on both the handheld and the rain-head shower and could not find any damage to the dial. Although we could not find any trace of mold or mildew as this review suggests, we have since had our housekeeping team do a thorough cleaning to ensure we did not miss anything. The room has also been occupied three times since these guests departed and we have had no further comments about such a problem.

Towels: We do typically leave a stock of two bath towels, two hand towels and two face towels in every room. However, if our guests would prefer more towels to be added to their room, we deliver them immediately and make note in their reservation to maintain the new requested pars for the duration of their stay. We wish these guests had called our front desk as their requests would have been met immediately.

Shampoo/Conditioner: In order to do our best to minimize our impact on the environment, the Shaw Club has started a 'zero footprint' initiative that involves doing our best to limit waste coming from the hotel. One of the elements of this effort is to leave bathroom amenities until they have been used. However, we have also left a very clear note in every bathroom asking our guests to let us know if they would like to be removed from the program. If so, we would happily replenish the stock every day. Again, we wish these guests had let us know of their preferences so we could have better accommodated their needs. The point about the Kleenex was absolutely correct; our housekeeping team must not have noticed that so few tissues were left under the one sticking out of the box. We apologize for this error and have made changes to our inspection policies in order to correct this problem in the future.

Welcome Gift: When our guests check-in, we like to have a welcome treat waiting for them in their room. The treats do change, but this guest is right in noting that on the day of their arrival we had brownies made. What is very strange about this point is that upon my inspection after check out there were brownie wrappers in their garbage. Perhaps they got them from another guest or a staff member that I have not yet spoken with.

Breakfast: We are known for our hospitality at the hotel and our restaurant is no exception. We feel terrible that these guests did not enjoy the breakfast or service and I have spoken to the team about ensuring we are always doing our best to 'WOW' everyone who comes in to eat.
Yoghurt: Our yoghurt is natural in flavour and perhaps why these particular guests did not enjoy it. Every morning, our Chef prepares yoghurt for our guests by hand-shaving fresh vanilla on top, stirring in organic honey and then topping every bowl with our own in-house made granola. Normally, it is one of the most praised items of breakfast.
Other Items: Our croissants and bread are baked fresh in house every day. We have never heard that their size is an issue, but we will be sure to look into this and correct anything we can to improve quality and quantity if necessary.
Cost: The cost to upgrade to a hot breakfast is $7.95, not $13.95. Even with tax and a 50% tip it would not cost as much as noted in this review. A couple of the items currently on our hot menu include; smoked salmon eggs Benedict with home fries and fresh fruit, and a three-egg omelet stuffed with fresh lobster, oven dried heirloom tomatoes and aged cheddar. Most of our guests find this to be of great value if they are looking to upgrade.

Check-out: Check out is 11AM, but we always do our best to accommodate all requests for late check-outs. For example, these guests had a late check-out of noon and left at 11:53AM.

GSM: Our Guest Service Manager would always speak to our guests in private and because there was no one else in the lobby when these guests were leaving it seemed appropriate to address their concerns immediately without the need to relocate. At no time did another guest approach the desk during this time. Although our Guest Service Manager has no recollection of using the words ‘bad taste in my mouth’, she very clearly remembers telling these guests that she wanted to do everything in her power to try and change their minds so they would come back and give us the opportunity to provide them with a wonderful experience. At this time, future discounts, upgrades and incentives were all offered and were all denied.

Room Tariff: It is confusing as to why this guest would say “a couple of hundred dollars PER night” when on the day they checked in, their room rate was under half of that.

Although we make it our mission to rectify every situation in a way that will show our guests how important they are and how much we appreciate their feedback, it is difficult to know how we could have improved on these items when the account of their stay contains so many inaccuracies. I’m sure that through better communication this could have been a wonderful getaway for these guests and I hope that one day they will reconsider joining us again and allow us the opportunity to provide them with the experience we have become known for.

Ryan Murray