Review Highlights
Servers were great...manager not so much

Server Hailey was amazing. She has great customer service and always has a smile on her face. I... read more

Reviewed 18 August 2018

from US$60.89
from US$15.62
from US$60.89
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 September 2017

It's rare for me to visit a golf course when it first opens, then return 15 years later as I did to Royal Niagara Golf Course. This gem of a course is located in Niagara on the Lakes, Ontario. Royal Niagara has matured, it's stunningly beautiful, demands respect, and its fiery side creates unwanted drama for many golfers. My golfing skills have greatly improved since my last visit, but Royal Niagara has also dramatically improved. When I first played Royal Niagara it was a diamond in the rough, now it's a highly polished gem, worthy to be captured for golfing glory and pride.
     Royal Niagara makes a bold statement with the addition of the Old Canal Course. I had the pleasure of playing this course under near perfect conditions; partly cloudy skies, 80 degrees, no rain, and mild wind conditions. The day before I played the course I picked up a course guide booklet, which I read! This gave me a slight familiarity with the course and assisted in my course management plan. When I stepped onto the first tee of this Links-style course, I was mentally ready and in my comfort zone.  The course has 5 sets of tees for all skill sets; I played the Blue tees with a slope rating of 71.5/ 137 at 6442 yards, verses 75.0/ 143 from the Black (championship) tees at 6970 yards. Looking down range on the first tee, I noticed a creek that ran diagonally the full length of the fairway. Rather than pulling out the driver on this 363, par 4, I chose my 2 hybrid to start my round. Hitting the fairway and having a 133 yard shot into the green, is a nice start. Hitting the green, 2 putting for par, says the game plan is working.
     After parring the first 3 holes I'm glad that I took the time to study the course guide and stuck to the game plan. Hole 4, a par 4 dog leg left, offers excitement for good players, perhaps a different kind of excitement (drama) for those with questionable skills, and forced me to tweak my game plan. A tee shot here must be straight and long, preferably on the far side of the fairway and inside the 150 marker. The approach shot into the green justifies a long hard look. What you will see is a large pond in front and to the right of the green, and three large sand traps between the pond and the green. Left of the green is thick rough, small hills and trees. In back of the green is a steep slope with deep thick grass. The green itself is quite wide, but not deep and it's two tiered. What you don't see or fail to notice is the green slopes from back to front, and away from you, the second tier is on the far right, there is thick rough behind the sand traps and finally the green is relatively fast with subtle breaks. The view is pretty intimidating but if you are wearing your big boy pants, you can step up and nail the green. No problem.
     At the end of the day I shot 38 on the Old Canal Course and 41 on the Iron Bridge Course. I found the courses to be architecturally destinctive and aesthetically delightful,  very challenging but not overwhelming. My favorite holes were #3, #6, and #9 on the Old Canal Course. To fully appreciate the days' golfing experience a must stop for me was the Grille. I ordered the Chef's special (Cowboy Steak), a glass of their Argentina Malbec Red Wine, and watched the Sunset while looking over the Old Canal Course. What a beautiful memory. I recommend Royal Niagara for all golfers to experience.

Date of experience: August 2017
4  Thank Hbell2015
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Even with a deal online I feel so disappointed with Royal Niagara.

The tee blocks were shredded, the greens were in horrific condition, the signage on the course was so worn out that you could not make out the yardage as the writing has disappeared....how embarrassing!

The course drainage was so bad that many traps were full of water and some of the fairway was soaked like a sponge.

The speed of play has so horrific that after 40 minutes to play the first hole on our back nine we gave up and wanted a refund....which we couldn't get. I brought over a guest from out of country and feel bad for making him spend his money on such a poor course.

I would never recommend this course.

All the potential in the World but lack of maintenance and caring has made this course a joke.

Date of experience: July 2017
2  Thank David A
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Played 9 holes on the iron bridge course. The course was well maintained and the staff was very friendly. Definitely will come back

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

Really great course and well priced. U can get approx $55 with cart. Sweet deal
The restaurant is well priced. $8 for breakfast with is awesome.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank travelcato
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

Played in The Gideons Inaugural Niagara golf tourney.
Great day sunny 24c
Great golf course.
Staff excellent.
Greens are challenging.
Lots of rough off fairways.

Glad we played