“Very disappointing”

Harbour House Hotel
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My wife and I tried to reconcile our average rating with the extensive praise that the Harbour House has received on the Trip Advisor site, so we thought about other excellent and very good hotels that we have stayed in all across Canada. We have stayed in 6 five star and 9 four star hotels in Canada over the past few years. We both tried to place the Harbour House in that constellation of fine hotels. Unfortunately, it didn't approach any of the 15. In fact, if it wasn't for the good breakfast and the friendly staff that served us (most especially Gillian), we would have rated the hotel as poor. For me personally, I would have appreciated more than very dim lighting and a decent place to sit down (my wife commandeered the only chair). We will neither return nor recommend Harbour House. Interestingly our stay was at the highly discounted off-season rate. At full price I would have been outraged.

3  Thank karlesss
Larissa C, Front Office Manager at Harbour House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry to hear that your experience was anything but perfect. We do have many rooms with more natural lighting that we could have offered to you and I’m sorry that you found your room to be too dim. Likewise, we have a selection of rooms that offer larger seating with two reading chairs or even a couch. I would like to personally invite you back to Harbour House Hotel and assist in making your stay perfect. Please contact me at anytime by phone or email. I look forward to hearing from you and saying hello to you on your next visit to Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Warmest regards,

Guest Services Manager
lchunick@harbourhousehotel.ca
1-866-277-6677

There are newer reviews for Harbour House Hotel

Reviewed 12 November 2013

What a great find! This was our fourth time in Niagara on the Lake, the first time at Harbour House, and by far the most rewarding. From the comfort of the room to the hospitality of the staff I cannot rave enough about this charming hotel. Definitely had a bed and breakfast feel to it. The bedding was so comfortable; the room delightful. The staff was courteous and beyond friendly, helpful, and accommodating. The wine and cheese hour in the conservatory was enjoyable. Breakfast in the morning was delicious! Would definitely come back and certainly recommend!

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. We were so relaxed in our room we hated to leave. We had our kids with us and they were welcomed by staff. Our room had a double pull out couch and we all enjoyed the food, room, and area.

• Stayed: November 2013

I am so appreciative that you took notice of the warm welcome offered by the staff to your children. Although a lot of our guests are couples, we feel we can accommodate families as well and our team is happy to do so. One of our attributes is offering relaxation and a “home away from home” feel and I’m so delighted you were able to receive that at our Harbour House Hotel. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Harbour House for the 7th? 8th? time this past weekend. The fact that we have returned so many times should be an indication that this property delivers on comfort and service enough to have repeat customers. (And we are not the only ones). There is no shortage of places to stay in NOTL, but this property remains our favourite.

Visiting NOTL to celebrate an early birthday for my husband, we were lucky to stay in a suite on the first floor.

I'll try to be concise:
-the staff at the front desk is always welcoming, and genuinely so. There is no level of pretense, just true hospitality
-the freshly baked, soft peanut butter cookies waiting for you in your guest room are delicious
-the Kennebunk throw is perfect for sitting by the in-room fireplace (My husband even bought me one for Christmas last year!)
-the complimentary wine tasting every afternoon is a great way to relax, get to know other guests, or just sample some of what NOTL is famous for
-the attention to detail in the rooms makes you feel truly welcomed- the birthday card for my husband, the signed note by the hotel manager, the personalized letterhead on your desk
-the duvet is luxurious; soft, lightweight and warm
-buffet-style breakfast in the morning has good variety and is not prepackaged or bland
-perfect location, off the bustle of the main strip, but great accessibility to the Niagara Parkway or Queen Street

Small things that could be better?
-The featherbed we were used to on top of the mattresses was gone and the mattress was a little hard for my liking. Personal preference.
-Wish the television was better situated for watching while sitting on the couch. You have to turn your head awkwardly to watch which isn't so comfortable after a 2 hour movie. If there is going to be a TV in the room, it makes sense to have it somewhere with good sight lines from the seating.

It was a full house, on a chilly Sunday night, but we never felt crowded or not taken care of.
We congratulate their growing popularity- even if we are a little sad to see our once "secret getaway" become everyone else's too. But it is well-deserved.

2  Thank LazySundayTraveller
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Our second time staying in Niagara on the lake. First time we stayed in the Pillar and Post. The two properties are comparable in quality but different in feel. Harbour House is smaller and more of a B&B feel, which we enjoyed. Also the HH is an easier walk to the main drag of town and being by the water was nice.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to notice our boutique hotel feel. Although we are on the petite side comparable to other hotels, we feel this has an advantage in allowing us to cater to our guests in a higher fashion. Our location is peaceful and quiet yet close to all the shopping and amenities of the main street. We thank you for taking notice of this detail. I look forward to welcoming you back to Harbour House Hotel on your next visit to Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at the Harbour House Hotel on November 1 & 2, 2013. My husband, myself and our Dog Star were welcomed with open arms. What a lovely experience! The room was tastefully decorated, the fireplace in the room was great, the jacuzzi bathtub was nice and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious! Coffee was fabulous! Our room had a bed for Star, treats and dog dishes too. Star loved the bed! Star also loved to lie on the rug in front of the fireplace. The location was in a good area and we were able to walk our dog with ease.

Room Tip: If you have a dog let them know and they will provide you with a pet friendly room. It costs $25.00...
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This is a great friendly and pleasant small boutique hotel right on the lake. The rooms were clean and very comfortable and had huge beds. The breakfast was self serve but lots of really good food to choose from and you can go for seconds and thirds if you wish. The hotel does not do evening meals but as a guest you are ferried in a hotel owned people carrier to whatever restaurant in town you wish to go to ... and you are picked up at the end of your evening!!. We ate in two of the hotels sister establishments which were good. This was the sort of hotel I would go back to again and again .

Room Tip: Try to get a room that looks out over the lake or the boat marina
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your stay. We are really lucky to have such a great team that really enjoy preparing all of the fresh baked goods for breakfast. We are glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary in town dinner shuttle to and from some of the great restaurants in Niagara-on-the-Lake. I look forward to saying hello to you on your next visit to our Harbour House Hotel.

Guest Services Managers