“One of the best meals ever!”
Review of The Charles Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Charles Hotel
Kingston, Canada
“One of the best meals ever!”
Reviewed 9 October 2007

We had dinner here over the Thanksgiving weekend, and had the table d'hôte. I wondered how they would "fancy up" a traditional turkey dinner, but I was so surprised how amazing the meal was. It was accompanied with a corn chowder that I will continue to crave for years, and wonderful local wine pairings. The price tag was a bit hefty but well worth it. Every bite was better than the next. My husband and I were there to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary and it made for a memorable night ! This I am sure is the first of many visits to this culinary delight. Although we did not stay in the rooms, it looked lovely. Great service as well! Bravo!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Louisville, KY
Reviewed 20 July 2007

We really like the food at the Charles Inn and have enjoyed it over the last five years. We stayed in the Inn for the first time last summer, but found it disappointing. We had a relatively expensive room (downstairs), which I can only describe as weird. It must incorporate the original kitchen.

There may be nicer rooms, but do not write off the food: it's one of the best 3-4 restaurants in NOTL and has a lovely dining room.

• Liked — food!
  • Disliked — room that had space that could not be used; subpar bathroom and we love old places
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank freshLouisville
Wirral
Reviewed 22 May 2007

This was our second visit to The Charles Inn. For accomodation in Niagara on the Lake this is well priced and value for money. Even though we enjoyed our stay the first time round, we compared it to many bed and breakfasts and old Inns, However this last stay was amazing and compelled us to write and congratulate the staff for their amazing hospitality.

Since our last visit in 2006 the management has changed and they are young and fresh, bringing a lively atmosphere to the Inn, and they complement each other well in the service you receive in the guest rooms to the service of their to die for dining room.

If you are looking for value for money during your stay in Niagara look no further, the Charles Inn has it all, and what they dont have they find for you. Exceptional service!!

Extra tip, choose the Newark Room and have the beef!!

• Liked — Comfiest Beds!
  • Disliked — Nothing - everything was amazing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jordanne
Ohio
Reviewed 26 March 2007

My husband and I, along with our then 12 month old son and 3 year old daughter, spent several days at the Inn. My parents also stayed at the hotel and were celebrating their 50th Wedding Anniversary. The staff and management were wonderful in accomodating us with our children, including dietary needs. They prepared a complimentary dessert for my parents' anniversary and were just wonderful. We have stayed at this hotel annually on our trek to Canada for the Shaw Festival, and have always found the staff and Inn itself simply charming. While I can't speak for anyone else's experience, I can say that I would highly recommend this property, and can't wait to stay again this summer. Also, the food at the Inn, including the breakfasts, are scrumptious. Highly recommended fare.

• Liked — the charm, the location, the food and the staff
  • Disliked — liked everthing
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Kensington98
Toronto
Reviewed 11 December 2006

My husband and I decided to head to Niagara for a little getaway and were very pleased with our stay! We had a lovely view of the old golf course, enjoyed our beautiful bed and most of all the warm welcome received from everyone - so nice to get out of the city sometimes! And the restaurant is amongst the nicest we have ever been to: try the beef tenderloin - amazing :)

• Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank RamblingAlong
Ontario
Reviewed 3 December 2006

My fiance and I were really excited to spend some time in Niagara on the Lake. We found the Charles Inn on the internet - it was exactly what we were looking for (old and beautiful). When we arrived, we were taken to our room... we went up several flights of stairs into the attic... when I looked around, I told the desk clerk this was not the room we had requested (we wanted the Newark Room) and she started walking out of the door saying "Sorry! That one is under construction!". Needless to say, I was pretty upset. We ended up in the Safari Room - two tall people in a tiny ceilinged attic! We bumped our heads on the ceiling several times a day in a room that was not old looking and not beautiful. Everything looked as though it was bought at Homesense... cheap. Anyway, this was not the type of room we had envisioned for our romantic time away. I must say that the bed was nice and the bathtub was amazing! The shower, however, didn't work... it went from hot to cold so frequently that my shower was actually painful (it's a shower in an old closet in an attic...). Also, the sink was broken in the bathroom when we arrived, the plunger thingy was stuck. We told the front desk and they said they would have it fixed by the time we came home from shopping. When we returned to our room, the sink was still broken... we called the front desk, she came up to try and fix it, couldn't, then finally called someone in to fix it. This was about 10pm at night. The Charles Inn was kind enough, however, to offer us a free breakfast for our troubles. However, we would never go back... there were just too many problems and headaches... bad service... oh, and did I mention the spider the size of my hand that was on our wall when we came home the second night? We had to capture it in a glass and throw onto the balcony... sleeping that evening was difficult... and the building was undergoing renovations at that time as well, so we had to leave the building early in the morning and come back late at night just so we didn't have to hear all of the construction. Anyway, all of this could have been remedied if we had received an apology for being given the wrong room (or better yet, told in advance that the room we wanted was unavailable) and for the many inconveniences associated with the room we did get. We filled out a comment card letting them know what a bad experience we had, but we never heard from them.

• Liked — The Bathtub
  • Disliked — The Room
  • Tips/Secrets — If you must stay here, go in the off season when its cheaper!
  • Stayed April 2006
10 Thank Beaujolais8
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 October 2006

We stayed in one of the nicest rooms and really enjoyed the hotel. The staff is very friendly and willing to accomodate any request. The surroundings are beautiful, and dinner was extraordinary. Amazing food for such a little place. The chef was great.

Very sophisticated breakfast (but low on choices), and in room spa services.

We're going back in 2 months!

• Liked — Warm and friendly
  • Disliked — The building was old, so there were a few quirks
  • Tips/Secrets — Shopping in the area and wine tasting there are great