“Time well spent!”
Review of The Charles Hotel

The Charles Hotel
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Most every year we travel to NOTL for the Ice Wine Festival. This year we decided to "stay in town" and the Charles Inn was our inn of choice. We were impressed with the friendly staff the moment that we walked through the door. Sarah and her team did a marvelous job. Lloyd made breakfast fun. Chef Steve excelled with his dinner selections. All in all we couldn't have asked for more - great service; great location; great food; and, a warm and friendly staff. We will return! Nancy and Ron R

Room Tip: The Renoir was great!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you for your review! We are so glad you decided to stay in town and that you decided to stay with us! It was truly a pleasure meeting you both and I have conveyed your compliments to Lloyd and Chef. Thank you for joining us, we await your return!

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous and authentic vibe. We loved our room, although small, the decor and layout were well suited to the old world charm.

We had a three course meal included in out package and the food could not have been better! Our server was knowledgable and attentive. The dining room was comfortable and cozy. Morning breakfast was equally good and exceptional for a continental.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you! Every review I read shows me something new about the Inn, and “gorgeous and authentic vibe” is such a fantastic way to describe The Charles. I am so pleased you enjoyed what we have to offer and look forward to seeing you back at ‘the Inn.’

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I truly enjoyed our stay at the Charles Inn. We arrived in the middle of a winter storm and everyone was extremely nice and the hotel warm and cozy. We had made reservations for a room through expedia (only $90/night) and got a small gorgeous room. As we were getting comfortable, the front desk lady knocked on our door to ask if we would like to change to a room with a fireplace and a bathtub... we did, and it was AMAZING. She also brought a b'day cake for my husband because I mentioned we were there to celebrate his day! We had room service (great guy!!!!!) and the food was A+, as well as the breakfast! As we were driving away I got a call that I had forgotten my pearl earrings in the night stand... what a sweet gesture!!!!! We thank you all for being so nice, and for making our stay so special!!!! We will be back soon for sure....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

From all of us here at The Charles, thank you so much for your kind review! This truly is a special place. Our entire team from the front desk, to housekeeping, to the restaurant and kitchen are truly synchronized in providing ‘the total package’ and I’m so glad that was reflected in your stay. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and I got a room at the Charles to break up our trek home from Michigan to Philadelphia. What we hadn't planned on was a giant blizzard. When we arrived at the Charles late Thursday might they informed us they had upgraded us to a fire place room because of the weather and they sent up 2 delicious hot chocolates. That night we read the weather and saw it would be bad the next day as well. The following morning we called down for late check out and discussed extending our stay. The staff were more than happy to give us the next night at the same low rate, for the same amazing room. We had a delicious breakfast, a few pots of tea, all served in our room. That night we went down to the bar for some drinks and a delicious dinner (the best truffle Mac n cheese I have ever had, not to heavy handed with the oil). After dinner another round of hot chocolates and then a very comfortable sleep. We woke up not wanting to leave, but having to return to reality, so one last great breakfast to our room, with a roaring fire and we were off. The staff was all amazing, the food was above expectations and our room (room 3) was beyond perfect. We are now talking about a trip to the Charles becoming a semi regular thing. Cheers!

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! What better way to ride out a blizzard than to cozy up next to a fireplace with great food and drink! Our entire team is exceptional and always willing to do what it takes to provide memorable experience. I will pass on your kind comments to the guest services team and the kitchen and look forward to your return!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Very nice stay at the Charles Inn. We took a small room - close to $200 still - the only one left, and found the service was simply impeccable. The staff were very welcoming, and by and large everything was done to make you feel at home. The accommodation is clearly dated, and if you are not too demanding on having state of the art comfort, then you will enjoy the place as well as the premium location, right at the end of the high street. We recommend the breakfast.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Sarah L, Front Office Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Our sincere thanks for your kind comments! While you were booked into one of our smaller rooms, we have twelve rooms total, each of which is unique in size, amenities, and decor and most of which have been completely updated within the last two years. I am glad you found our service impeccable – we pride ourselves on our level of service and ability to make our guests feel at home. Thank you again and we hope you will find the opportunity to join us again!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Decent place, but we booked approximately 7 weeks before and provided our credit card. We were shocked to find that their policy is to charge for the first night right away. Understanding that we were only staying for one night, this was a shock. I emailed them with my concern, saying that most Hotels use the credit card to reserve the booking and do not charge until the visit or you fail to arrive. Basically they said the check the fine print and their policy. Nothing hidden, but not right. Will not stay there again. Better options in Niagara on the Lake. Perhaps more expensive, but a more customer friendly Reservtion Policy.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Steve W

Thank you for your review of The Charles Inn. Although we encounter very little dissatisfaction with our current deposit and cancellation policies, we will be sure to review our current set-up as keeping our guests happy with our product is our top priority. Thank you again for your review and we hope you enjoyed your stay with us.

The Charles Inn

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Very charming historic Inn nestled in downtown Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada.
I stayed in the Magnolia room which was on the second floor and I had a private screened in balcony all to myself. I really appreciated Kimerlyn the front desk manager being so helpful and nice and truly made me and my family welcome. My sister and cousin stayed in the Safari room which was on the top floor and decorated really nice and the room was comfortable. Additionally, their chef cooks wonderful meals and I didn't have one bad meal there. The food was outstanding!!!!! I would like to go back again and stay a week next time. This is truly a wonderful place to stay and it was clean. I heard that there is a tunnel under the house that runs from the lake to the home which I think is now boarded up. There is a lot of history in this Inn and I enjoyed staying there so much. It was very relaxing. If you are looking for relaxation this is the place to stay!!! Also, be prepared to shop since there were so many very nice shops in walking distance and bring a suitcase large enough to bring it all back home. :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Korinne L
Sarah L, Front Office Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

From the entire team here at The Charles, thank you for such a great review! Kimlin is truly a great member of our team, and I’m glad she made your family feel so welcome. The team in the kitchen is truly dynamic and dedicated to their craft which was clearly reflected in your experience with us! All in all, it sounds like you had an amazing time here in Niagara-on-the-Lake; we hope you will return – this time for a week 

Safe travels