“Warm welcome, cozy atmosphere, and lovely breakfast”
Review of The Charles Hotel

The Charles Hotel
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I recently stayed here with a travel zoo voucher. My husband and I frequently visit NOTL and have never been able to afford to stay at the Charles Inn. I wasn't disappointed. It was a quintessential boutique inn where all the staff take pride in their jobs and are warm, friendly, and unpretentious towards guests. I was by myself, so I opted for the Magnolia room, which is a smaller room upstairs with its own charming verandah overlooking the gardens and golf course. I spent both afternoons sitting there reading and enjoying wine that I had picked up at the various boutique wineries in the area. The room was clean with a large beautiful shower in the bathroom. The chef even left me homemade peanut butter cookies.

The front desk staff and breakfast wait staff in the restaurant were wonderful! I only remember Anthony's name, since he was there check me in, give me a tour, and help me figure out dinner. The town had a massive power outage and the restaurant had to scramble to find people alternative dinner options and they were all so professional and organized about accommodating many disappointed diners. I was able to order pizza to my room from a nearby restaurant at Anthony's recommendation.

I hope to return to Charles Inn, hopefully, when there isn't a power outage, so that I can dine in their fabulous restaurant for dinner!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for such a thoughtful review! I too love The Magnolia room and its view of the gardens – what a great spot to enjoy some Niagara wine! Anthony is relatively new to the front desk, and has quickly become a valuable addition to our already dynamic team; I’m happy he took such great care of you! It was lovely to meet you, and I look forward to your return.

There are newer reviews for The Charles Hotel

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Within walking distance of many places to eat, shop, and relax. Niagara-on-the-Lake has plenty of those to offer.

Many ancilliary activities are offered by the Inn, and the friendly staff is very helpful with suggestions for things to do in town. If you are feeling very adventurous, the jet boats that run the gorge are also within walking distance.

This is a great place to stay and visit anything in the Niagara region. It is completely opposite of the gaudy, touristy pressure cooker that is Niagara Falls. Getting around is very easy by car or by bicycle. Many safe bike routes are available.

Absolute quiet, other than one day a neighbor with dogs that made some noise (someone left them unattended once). I found it odd that an inn of this caliber allows pets; I wouldn't dream of bringing ours to a place this nice.

We had a fantastic stay and will return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for telling us about your experience! I’m glad you enjoyed all that Niagara-in-the-Lake has to offer, and that you found our staff friendly and helpful. We have a great team who are truly interested in your experience not only with us, but in Niagara-on-the-Lake itself. One small note: we actually do not allow pets, so your experience is difficult to explain, but I will be sure to review our pet policy with reservation staff. Take care; we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We recently completed a stay at the Charles Inn ,May 2014.Lovely, restored inn so completely charming we are looking forward to our next stay here.Staff very friendly, warm and helpful a real pleasure for their customers. We had the" Renoir" room up the back stairs,very quiet and comfortable with soft fluffy towels.Great location just a short walk to all the shops and the theaters but quieter and more restful as it is at the end of the block.We really enjoyed the continental breakfast with fresh croissants,cheese,yogurt parfait a wonderful way to start the day.
We had the privilege of savoring the chef's tasting menu.It was extraordinary!! Any foodies will loose their minds over this fantastic menu.The chef blends flavours with perfection and subtle nuances of a very skilled master.
Course after delectable course each more delicious than the one before...started with a perfect scallop appetizer served on a bed of fine cabbage slaw, then on to halibut with fingerling potatoes and roasted tomato the exquisite blending of flavours was extraordinary ...then on to beef tenderloin with a frothy hollandaise sauce so light,so subtle, we could not stop oohing after each delicious mouthful.... a cheese course with a shortbread biscuit, grapes,fig puree so luscious and finally finishing with a chocolate pate,pear ice cream and a ginger puree again so exquisitely paired you savor every mouthful. We ate over several hours,a memorable experience.Cheers to the Chef !!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelangel695
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you so much for such a favourable review! The Renoir Room is a quaint room tucked away for a wonderful private getaway. Our dining is an experience not to be missed. Chef Sperling’s creativity and dedication, and his entire team, are the best in Niagara and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments. I look forward to the opportunity to say hello on your next visit!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Charles Inn was delightful and felt very warm and homey even during a pouring rain spring 24 hours. The room was cozy and comfortable, and the hot breakfast featured the most amazing omelet I've ever eaten. The in house restaurant also offered delicious fare and seemed like a very popular local spot.
Don't forget to take some time to explore and support the local shops on the wonderful main street.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I’m happy you found your room comfortable and were able to indulge in our amazing dining! The whole ‘NOTL’ experience is fantastic, we are all happy you were able to enjoy it! I look forward to your return!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Attentive staff with incredible food! Highly recommend the Daisy room, which comes with your own private veranda! Especially loved the attention to detail in their included continental breakfast.. Best I have ever had! (And I am very well travelled)

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for your kind words. I too love The Daisy Room and its adorable verandah! Our Continental breakfast is truly unique and a great value for our guests. All of us hope you will find opportunity to join us again, and look forward to the occasion.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

My wife and i recently spent two nights at The Charles Inn in Niagara-on-the Lake. What a really great place! We were greeted by Sarah, a very warm, friendly and helpful person. The Inn is small, well restored with a very friendly staff. We had the Veranda room which has a large gas fireplace. We used it to good advantage as the days and nights were cool. The room is large with a nice sitting area. The Inn has a fabulous restaurant. We had a great meal in the restaurant the first night and returned to eat in the bar the next night. The best place in town. Niagara-on-the-Lake is a wonderful little town. The Shaw Festival must really bring the people in during the summer.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matassa709
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay! The Verandah Room is a spectacular room, a favourite among staff and guests. While completely renovated, it really captures the history of the home especially because it houses the original hearth. Thank you as well for your kind comments about our restaurant and lounge which, as you note, is the best place in town! We really hope to see you both again, please let me know when you want to return, I would be happy to take care of your reservation personally.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My boyfriend wanted to take me to Niagara on The Lake for an evening. I am recovering from some ill health and he wanted to make sure it was special for me. He did his due diligence and found the Charles Inn. He contacted the manager Sarah who suggested we stay in the library room since I am unable to climb stairs. Sarah made sure our stay was lovely. When we arrived we were pleased at how beautiful the Inn actually is with beautiful manicured lawns and the location on the Main Street,and close to the lake was perfect. Sarah suggested wineries to visit and let us know that if there was anything we needed they would do their best to accommodate. The room was lovely, quiet and quaint. We had dinner in the lounge area and our waiter Dylan was wonderful. parking behind the hotel was complimentary and convenient. All in all our stay was exactly as we wanted. Beautiful and relaxing. We definitely will come back many more times in the future to enjoy this propery...Lori and patrick

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Loriellen W

Thank you, Lori and Patrick, for such a heartfelt review. Your experience with us really reflects our overall goal of ‘raising the bar’ and providing the best experience possible and all of us here want to thank you for your kind words. It was really lovely to meet you both, please feel free to contact me at slegault@charlesinn.ca for your next visit.