“5 Star Service”

The Charles Hotel
Calgary, Canada
“5 Star Service”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed at Charles Inn for 5 nights to attend a conference. We were completely blown away by the service and the facilities. No request was to big or small. Upon our initial check-in our bags were whisked to our room, and we were greeted with a bottle of local wine. Each morning we had a continental breakfast (smoked salmon, ham, eggs), followed by hot French-pressed coffee and fresh cookies in the afternoon.

We were given the top 'Safari' room and found it to be tastefully furnished and spacious. The beds are comfy and there is ample outlets for electronics.

I have stayed at many 5 star properties in Europe and North America and Charles Inn is definitely on par.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the south side (parking lot) are quite close to the back of the kitchen and near ventil...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank alim109
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We value your feedback and are so happy you enjoyed what we have to offer. The ‘loft’ is certainly unique and a wonderful private retreat. I enjoyed meeting you both, and look forward to the opportunity to have you back to The Charles!

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Urbandale, Iowa
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We hadn't planned on spending more than an hour in Niagara-on-the-Lake - Hubby wanted to head home- but we were so pleasantly surprised by the charm of this gem of a hamlet not far from the hubbub of the actual Niagara Falls, that we actually decided to spend the whole day there AND the night. Not long after we drove into town, the sun came out and so did the spring flowers. Every person we met was NICE! Can you believe it? I hadn't had a door held open for me in a long time but it happened all day long there. And the icing on the cake was The Charles Inn. From the front desk manager, to the gorgeous gardens, to the lovely dinner, to the scrumptious breakfast, everything was perfect. Our room was a great value. We enjoyed the private porch and the fireplace (It was a tad nippy and nice to dress by the fire in the morning) and didn't even mind that the TV and internet were down, due to construction on the main street. Everything was lovely.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the old master bedroom very much. It's soft colors, fireplace, rain forest shower and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for such a wonderful review! I love serendipitous stories that lead to great memories, and hopefully return visits! Our staff, property, dining experience, history, and overall uniqueness and charm truly reflect what Niagara-on-the-Lake is about and your experience represents a culmination of all of the work that goes into each and every guest experience. Thank you again; we look forward to your return!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I recently stayed here with a travel zoo voucher. My husband and I frequently visit NOTL and have never been able to afford to stay at the Charles Inn. I wasn't disappointed. It was a quintessential boutique inn where all the staff take pride in their jobs and are warm, friendly, and unpretentious towards guests. I was by myself, so I opted for the Magnolia room, which is a smaller room upstairs with its own charming verandah overlooking the gardens and golf course. I spent both afternoons sitting there reading and enjoying wine that I had picked up at the various boutique wineries in the area. The room was clean with a large beautiful shower in the bathroom. The chef even left me homemade peanut butter cookies.

The front desk staff and breakfast wait staff in the restaurant were wonderful! I only remember Anthony's name, since he was there check me in, give me a tour, and help me figure out dinner. The town had a massive power outage and the restaurant had to scramble to find people alternative dinner options and they were all so professional and organized about accommodating many disappointed diners. I was able to order pizza to my room from a nearby restaurant at Anthony's recommendation.

I hope to return to Charles Inn, hopefully, when there isn't a power outage, so that I can dine in their fabulous restaurant for dinner!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for such a thoughtful review! I too love The Magnolia room and its view of the gardens – what a great spot to enjoy some Niagara wine! Anthony is relatively new to the front desk, and has quickly become a valuable addition to our already dynamic team; I’m happy he took such great care of you! It was lovely to meet you, and I look forward to your return.

Shelby Township, Michigan
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Within walking distance of many places to eat, shop, and relax. Niagara-on-the-Lake has plenty of those to offer.

Many ancilliary activities are offered by the Inn, and the friendly staff is very helpful with suggestions for things to do in town. If you are feeling very adventurous, the jet boats that run the gorge are also within walking distance.

This is a great place to stay and visit anything in the Niagara region. It is completely opposite of the gaudy, touristy pressure cooker that is Niagara Falls. Getting around is very easy by car or by bicycle. Many safe bike routes are available.

Absolute quiet, other than one day a neighbor with dogs that made some noise (someone left them unattended once). I found it odd that an inn of this caliber allows pets; I wouldn't dream of bringing ours to a place this nice.

We had a fantastic stay and will return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for telling us about your experience! I’m glad you enjoyed all that Niagara-in-the-Lake has to offer, and that you found our staff friendly and helpful. We have a great team who are truly interested in your experience not only with us, but in Niagara-on-the-Lake itself. One small note: we actually do not allow pets, so your experience is difficult to explain, but I will be sure to review our pet policy with reservation staff. Take care; we look forward to seeing you again!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We recently completed a stay at the Charles Inn ,May 2014.Lovely, restored inn so completely charming we are looking forward to our next stay here.Staff very friendly, warm and helpful a real pleasure for their customers. We had the" Renoir" room up the back stairs,very quiet and comfortable with soft fluffy towels.Great location just a short walk to all the shops and the theaters but quieter and more restful as it is at the end of the block.We really enjoyed the continental breakfast with fresh croissants,cheese,yogurt parfait a wonderful way to start the day.
We had the privilege of savoring the chef's tasting menu.It was extraordinary!! Any foodies will loose their minds over this fantastic menu.The chef blends flavours with perfection and subtle nuances of a very skilled master.
Course after delectable course each more delicious than the one before...started with a perfect scallop appetizer served on a bed of fine cabbage slaw, then on to halibut with fingerling potatoes and roasted tomato the exquisite blending of flavours was extraordinary ...then on to beef tenderloin with a frothy hollandaise sauce so light,so subtle, we could not stop oohing after each delicious mouthful.... a cheese course with a shortbread biscuit, grapes,fig puree so luscious and finally finishing with a chocolate pate,pear ice cream and a ginger puree again so exquisitely paired you savor every mouthful. We ate over several hours,a memorable experience.Cheers to the Chef !!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelangel695
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you so much for such a favourable review! The Renoir Room is a quaint room tucked away for a wonderful private getaway. Our dining is an experience not to be missed. Chef Sperling’s creativity and dedication, and his entire team, are the best in Niagara and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments. I look forward to the opportunity to say hello on your next visit!

Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Charles Inn was delightful and felt very warm and homey even during a pouring rain spring 24 hours. The room was cozy and comfortable, and the hot breakfast featured the most amazing omelet I've ever eaten. The in house restaurant also offered delicious fare and seemed like a very popular local spot.
Don't forget to take some time to explore and support the local shops on the wonderful main street.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I’m happy you found your room comfortable and were able to indulge in our amazing dining! The whole ‘NOTL’ experience is fantastic, we are all happy you were able to enjoy it! I look forward to your return!

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Attentive staff with incredible food! Highly recommend the Daisy room, which comes with your own private veranda! Especially loved the attention to detail in their included continental breakfast.. Best I have ever had! (And I am very well travelled)

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your kind words. I too love The Daisy Room and its adorable verandah! Our Continental breakfast is truly unique and a great value for our guests. All of us hope you will find opportunity to join us again, and look forward to the occasion.