“Wonderful Getaway”
Review of The Charles Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Charles Hotel
Reviewed 9 June 2014

In our first stay in Niagara-On-The-Lake, we chose the Charles Inn, and weren't disappointed. The staff were warm and inviting upon arrival, with a nice note and welcome gift in our room. We stayed in the cozy Sunflower Room, which although small, had everything you could want. We borrowed bikes from the Charles Inn to explore the town, and spent much of our time relaxing on the upstairs patio overlooking the golf course, as well as the restaurant patio.

Speaking of the restaurant, expect an incredible meal, worth every penny you spend. We had the included continental breakfast each morning, which was delicious. I enjoyed the complimentary French press coffee and newspaper each morning with my breakfast. The service at breakfast, and during our two dinners we enjoyed at the restaurant was incredible. High class without any pretence. We savoured every mouth watering bite of our meals.

Perfectly located on the edge of Niagara-On-The-Lake's main street, you're away from the hustle, but only a short walk from all of the town's attractions, and a short bike ride or drive from dozens of wineries.

We loved our stay and will definitely be back. My major suggestions, indulge in a dinner from the restaurant, and buy a bottle of wine from a local vineyard and enjoy it on one of the Charles Inn's upstairs patios. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for such a thoughtful review. The Sunflower room is indeed cozy but has all the amenities necessary to enjoy a fantastic weekend in Niagara-on-the-Lake! It sounds as though you took full advantage of not only everything that The Charles has to offer, but the town as well! All of us look forward to your return.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I dined with friends and spent a splendid night at "The Charles". Our large ground floor room [more like a suite] was wonderfully furnished as was the bathroom [a "boutique" hotel that has not done away with the bath tub!].
Dinner was excellent and the continental breakfast was way more than coffee and croissants - a real breakfast!
And, best of all, the service from every member of staff was truly outstanding - from the moment we arrived through to our departure. Cup of tea in the room; bottle of wine to our room at midnight; bike rental arranged by and delivered to the hotel - all done with great grace and charm.
Special mention to Sarah, Craig and Lloyd for warm, super patient and attentive service.
We have booked our return visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review! I too love The Verandah Room , and am happy you enjoyed it as well. Our entire staff is committed to making every guest experience the best it can be, I will pass on your kind comments to the entire team. It was lovely to have met you and I look forward to next year!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Attended a conference in St. Catherine's but opted to stay in Niagara-on-the-Lake to show a colleague from Oz another part of the province. We were both blown away by the Charles Inn. I used a travelzoo which gave us upgraded rooms - deluxe- and a gift cert for the Shaw Spa. I was so impressed by the room - so comfortable! After a long day we were happy to simply walk downstairs for a meal and were very impressed by the quality of the food. It was delicious! A 5 star restaurant indeed with impeccable service. Breakfast was another treat! Have the omelette! Drinks on the veranda upstairs in the evening was the perfect way to end the day. Will definitely be going back with my husband! Recommend it as the best place I have stayed in a long time (and I travel alot!).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for such an outstanding review! We really strive to provide the best in hospitality and are so glad that was mirrored in your stay! The uniqueness of our property and the quality of our food and service are what sets us apart and we all look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband and myself have been to this restaurant many times, and as usual had a wonderful dinner and service. The food is excellent, our waiter was wonderful, very knowledgeable regarding wine choices to pair with our dinners. The grounds are lovely to take a stroll after dinner. A delightful experience and dinner.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed at Charles Inn for 5 nights to attend a conference. We were completely blown away by the service and the facilities. No request was to big or small. Upon our initial check-in our bags were whisked to our room, and we were greeted with a bottle of local wine. Each morning we had a continental breakfast (smoked salmon, ham, eggs), followed by hot French-pressed coffee and fresh cookies in the afternoon.

We were given the top 'Safari' room and found it to be tastefully furnished and spacious. The beds are comfy and there is ample outlets for electronics.

I have stayed at many 5 star properties in Europe and North America and Charles Inn is definitely on par.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the south side (parking lot) are quite close to the back of the kitchen and near ventil...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank alim109

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We value your feedback and are so happy you enjoyed what we have to offer. The ‘loft’ is certainly unique and a wonderful private retreat. I enjoyed meeting you both, and look forward to the opportunity to have you back to The Charles!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We hadn't planned on spending more than an hour in Niagara-on-the-Lake - Hubby wanted to head home- but we were so pleasantly surprised by the charm of this gem of a hamlet not far from the hubbub of the actual Niagara Falls, that we actually decided to spend the whole day there AND the night. Not long after we drove into town, the sun came out and so did the spring flowers. Every person we met was NICE! Can you believe it? I hadn't had a door held open for me in a long time but it happened all day long there. And the icing on the cake was The Charles Inn. From the front desk manager, to the gorgeous gardens, to the lovely dinner, to the scrumptious breakfast, everything was perfect. Our room was a great value. We enjoyed the private porch and the fireplace (It was a tad nippy and nice to dress by the fire in the morning) and didn't even mind that the TV and internet were down, due to construction on the main street. Everything was lovely.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the old master bedroom very much. It's soft colors, fireplace, rain forest shower and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for such a wonderful review! I love serendipitous stories that lead to great memories, and hopefully return visits! Our staff, property, dining experience, history, and overall uniqueness and charm truly reflect what Niagara-on-the-Lake is about and your experience represents a culmination of all of the work that goes into each and every guest experience. Thank you again; we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I recently stayed here with a travel zoo voucher. My husband and I frequently visit NOTL and have never been able to afford to stay at the Charles Inn. I wasn't disappointed. It was a quintessential boutique inn where all the staff take pride in their jobs and are warm, friendly, and unpretentious towards guests. I was by myself, so I opted for the Magnolia room, which is a smaller room upstairs with its own charming verandah overlooking the gardens and golf course. I spent both afternoons sitting there reading and enjoying wine that I had picked up at the various boutique wineries in the area. The room was clean with a large beautiful shower in the bathroom. The chef even left me homemade peanut butter cookies.

The front desk staff and breakfast wait staff in the restaurant were wonderful! I only remember Anthony's name, since he was there check me in, give me a tour, and help me figure out dinner. The town had a massive power outage and the restaurant had to scramble to find people alternative dinner options and they were all so professional and organized about accommodating many disappointed diners. I was able to order pizza to my room from a nearby restaurant at Anthony's recommendation.

I hope to return to Charles Inn, hopefully, when there isn't a power outage, so that I can dine in their fabulous restaurant for dinner!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for such a thoughtful review! I too love The Magnolia room and its view of the gardens – what a great spot to enjoy some Niagara wine! Anthony is relatively new to the front desk, and has quickly become a valuable addition to our already dynamic team; I’m happy he took such great care of you! It was lovely to meet you, and I look forward to your return.