“Another perfect visit”

The Charles Hotel
Toronto, Canada
“Another perfect visit”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just returned from a two day stay at this quaint inn.
This was our second visit. There are about 12 rooms on two levels. In a way the hotel reminds me of a B and B but there is a full woodpaneled bar and a five-star restaurant located on the property. We ate both nights at the restaurant since it is so good. You can eat on either the patio, or in the formal dining room, or on the veranda overlooking a golf course. The menus are the same in all three locations. You can choose a high-end formal meal from one of the menus or you can choose a pub like dinner from the second menu. Their food is excellent on each menu. One of the best kept secrets of this inn is the veranda located on the second floor. There is no staff on the veranda so you bring your own drinks and sit outside and watch all the action. It is covered so it is a great place to sit if the weather turns nasty. Everything is a 10 minute walk away on the tree-lined main street. The hotel has already won a diamond award for 2014. I strongly recommend that you give it a try

Room Tip: There is no elevator so all the rooms on the second floor require you to take up your luggage on the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nigel W
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! I am so pleased that you returned and that your time with us was enjoyed. Our food is outstanding and our dining offers great variety in terms of where you can eat, and the available menus! One small clarification: in the evening the lounge menu is only available in the lounge or on the outdoor front patio. Our upper verandahs definitely offer a place to soak in the garden or watch the passersby on Queen Street – all with a nice glass of wine of course! Thank you again, and all of us look forward to your next trip to The Charles!

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Amazing View and Beautiful hotel with excellent service. Rooms are standard like in any other same category hotel. Comfortable, clean and beautifully furnished. There are several different restaurants there. Service was excellent I really appreciate like this care and attention from management to guest. Every guest is special for them! Likely Nice staff and very helpful recommend it

Room Tip: very very nice rooms view comfortable and very great
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review! I am so glad you found our inn, and enjoyed your time with us. We have twelve rooms total, each completely unique in terms of size, decor and amenities, and all reflecting the character of the home with the comfort of modern amenities. We are all pleased that you found our service excellent as we do have a team that truly cares. Thank you again, we look forward to your return!

Albertson, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2014

On our annual sisters weekend away, my sister and I checked into the Safari room at the Charles Inn this past weekend. Check in was smooth and we were directed up to our room, in the attic of the quaint older building. Friendly clerk offered to help carry, but we were expected to carry our bags up two narrow flights of stairs. Upon entering the dimly lit room, he showed us how to use the remote for the much needed air conditioning. After turning on we went down to the restaurant for dinner. Upon returning the room was still very warm. My sister moved the fan from the alcove where the a/c was nearer to the bed. (be prepared, the safari theme extends to a canopy over the bed, which hangs very low. With a little effort we were able to remove one end and drape at the head so we could get into bed). The next morning (at 7:20am) I was awaken to crackling in the room, by 8:15 the a/c had frozen and was shooting ice cubes out into the alcove. Maintenance arrived promptly and told us that the fan needed to be blowing on the a/c to stop from freezing.The customer care manager, Sarah, wan apologetic and reduced the price on one evenings charge and comped us breakfast morning. Our second morning, we awoke to daddy long legs in our bathroom. Overall the experience was nice, the hotel lovely, but felt like the overall charge for the room, even with a discount, was not in line with the experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. All of us here at The Charles really care about the happiness of our guests, and regret that your time with us was anything other than fantastic. As a historical home, we unfortunately do not have an elevator; however, we always have staff available who will happily carry luggage for our guests. It is a service that we offer to each and every guest and if it was not offered, we do apologize. We regret that the air conditioner malfunctioned and woke you up and a reduction in your room rate was only our pleasure. We will be sure to reposition the canopy so that it does not hang so low and would have been happy to remove it for your comfort; our most sincere apologies for the spider in your room. We hope you were able to enjoy your time in Niagara-on-the-Lake and do hope you will return and allow us the opportunity to provide you with the experience you were meant to have. I would be happy to look after your stay myself, ensuring everything is perfect. Please feel free to contact me directly at slegault@charlesinn.ca . Thank you again.

Safe Travels

Singapore
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at this boutique for one night and it was a wonderful experience.
Check in was smooth as we had a reservation, hence all details were recorded and I just needed to sign. We were escorted to room number 3, apparently one of the largest room at this venue.
As it is a corner room we enjoyed two windows towards Queen Street and a good size balcony facing the garden and the street. The room was nice furnished and the bathroom has a great shower. Wifi in the hotel is accessible everywhere and it is included in the room rate like the continental breakfast and parking.
Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to try the restaurant for dinner but it is well reviewed and we want to try it next time.
Th location of this venue is excellent, overlooking the golf club on one side and a leisurely stroll along Queen street to all the restaurants, theaters and shops.
I would give this venue a top rating if some of the furnishings would be upgraded/renewed.
A definite return visit for us in the future!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review! All of us are so glad you had a wonderful time at The Charles! The Newark Room is one of my favourites, especially with the access to the outdoor verandah. I will be sure to look into the existing furniture and replacing it as necessary once the season slows down. We all look forward to your return, and thank you again for your kind comments!

Safe Travels

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Charles Inn for two nights on a recent theatre excursion to Niagara on the Lake. I have stayed in other inns and B&Bs in NOTL over the years but from now on, I will not stay at another establishment after the wonderful experience we had at the Charles Inn.

I must in particular mention Ian Shulman, Marketing Manager. His attention to customer service went above and beyond the ordinary expectations for any inn. This is what happened.
My sister and brother-in-law were also coming to NOTL to celebrate her 65th birthday, and were staying at another B&B, while my husband and I were staying at the Charles Inn. The morning of our stay, before we left Ottawa, I phoned the other establishment to ask if some wine and chocolate could be placed in my sister's room to surprise her (at my cost plus a premium, of course.) The B&B owner was not interested in helping me.

However, when Ian at Charles Inn heard of my disappointment that I couldn't arrange this surprise for my sister, he immediately telephoned me and offered to take over chocolates, wine and a cheese/cracker platter to the B&B for my sister's room. He did this immediately, and my sister and her husband were absolutely delighted to find the surprise in their room when they checked in. The wine and cheese were top quality and beautifully presented, with a card from myself and my husband.

When my husband and I arrived in NOTL and checked into our room at The Charles Inn, we received a complimentary bottle of white wine and a note from Ian and the staff. Sarah, the manager on site also took time to come and greet us and assure us that our comfort was her top priority.

This level of hospitality is what all quality inns should aspire to.

Now to our room critique.

Our room, the Verandah Room, #1, was spacious and comfortable, with hardwood floors and a huge old original fireplace. The tv was small though, and a larger one would have been appreciated.

The private screened-in verandah overlooking the garden was a lovely space to enjoy a book and a glass of wine.

The king-sized bed was comfortable, with good linens and pillows.

The bathroom was light, white and spotlessly clean. The huge tub and rainfall shower head delivered plenty of piping hot water. Beware if you have mobility issues that the tub/shower is difficult to climb into.

The inn itself looks like it could use some love; I noted peeling paint and some dirty windows. The front walk way, for example, needs a good sweep and the welcome mat is worn and dirty. The carpets inside the front hall are mismatched, stained and old. Improving these little things would help make a better first impression.

However, it is situated on a quiet end of Queen Street, and is surrounded by lovely trees and gardens. The front verandah and patio area are very enticing places to have a meal or a drink.

I would not hesitate to stay at The Charles Inn again, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet, comfortable, old fashioned (in a good way) lodging in NOTL, with excellent customer service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank glebetraveller
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and found our level of service top notch! Ian always goes above and beyond, taking every opportunity to wow our guests. The Verandah Room is one of my favourites, and I’m glad you were able to enjoy the verandah overlooking the garden. We recently had some construction work completed at the front of the building which may help explain the condition of the welcome mat, but we have already replaced it and will ensure the walkway is swept daily. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next visit, I would be more than happy to look after your reservation personally. It was lovely to have met you both, and I look forward to your next visit!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We booked the ground floor room #1 which is a very large room with a fireplace and screen-enclosed porch which looks out over the lovely backyard. The four-poster bed was large and comfortable. We particularly enjoyed the rainforest shower. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. A special thanks to Ian, the marketing manager, who went to great lengths to both purchase and then personally deliver a birthday gift to a family member staying at a nearby B & B.

1 Thank servicecomesfirst
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We have a great team here who take great pride in providing the best in hospitality, I’m so glad it was reflected in your visit! I have passed on your kind words to Ian, and look forward to your return.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Have stayed at Charles Inn 3 times now and find the accommodations very nice, however the meals and service are excellent. I had the tasting menu paired with the wine. Our server was Dylan and was excellent. He explained every course and also described the wine pairing. He definitely loves his job and it shows. makes the meal experience very enjoyable. Well done and thanks Dylan.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peaks67
Thank you for your kind review. I’m glad you have enjoyed your stays with us, and I have passed your kind comments to Dylan and all of us look forward to your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly when you next wish to book as I would love to look after your stay myself!