“5 Stars to the Photographer”
Review of The Charles Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Charles Hotel
Ottawa
“5 Stars to the Photographer”
Reviewed 8 June 2010

The photographer should get 5 stars for the photos on the website. We had the Renoir Room which looked lovely on the site with the lighting effects. In reality, it was a very plain and not particularly attractive room except for the large faux Renoir painting on the wall behind the bed. Some nice wallpaper, better furniture and more paintings would have improved the look of the room immensely. The positive is that the cleaning staff are very good which is not always the case with the B&B's; and the bathroom is modern with a rainforest shower. The "continental" breakfast for two was a plate with a small croissant and pain au chocolat, two glasses of yogourt mixed with fruit, a slice of bree, some smoked salmon and cafe presse. There were also bagels, cold cereal and juice on a buffet table. A hot course was available for an extra $7.50 each. It is difficult to find value for money in NOTL unless you hit a good B&B which is always possible. This is another example of an overpriced hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank finsth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 June 2010

PLEASE NOTE: We had a GREAT time, and I am not normally a "complainer." I just wish I had more detailed accounts before deciding on the Charles Inn, and hope my review helps you decide one way or the other. I also cannot figure out how three 2s, two 3s, and only one 5 make this a 4 star rating. I give it 3 stars.
My husband and I, along with a few siblings and their spouses, traveled from PA to NOTL to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Knowing nothing about the town, I used Trip Advisor reviews to help choose a place to stay. Now that I know the town better, I'd look for a nice B&B on the water, which is what my brother & sister-in-law did and they got a better deal than those of us who chose the Charles Inn. I need to start by saying the staff there is truly top notch, and our displeasure with some of the Inn's attributes do not in any way reflect on them. Dylan was our bartender and waiter, and was very knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly- as were most of the staff members at the Inn. In fact, there wasn't one person in NOTL that was not friendly. Great town!!
Sadly, the Inn is old, dirty, and needs a lot of updating. Our first night, we were in the Newark Room - very pretty but worn down. The bed was hard and worst of all - a SMALL queen; so the two of us (both slim) were uncomfortable with its width. My sister liked the Richardson Room, but had the same issue with the small bed. So the next night, we both switched to the only rooms with kings; she in the Verandah, and we in the Safari. She liked the Verandah's bed and private screened porch, but did not sleep well due to folks coming and going, using the bathrooms, and cooking due to its location on the first floor right by the back entrance, bathrooms, and kitchen. The patio screen was ripped, the curtains were dirty, the furniture was very worn, and the floor was musty. When my husband and I went to the Safari Room, we immediately said we were going to go back downstairs and ask for another room. The photos on the Web do not really show the slanted ceilings over the bed, around the entire room, and most severely, in the bathroom. The shower stall is old and so slanted that we had to stoop to cleanse (5'8 and 5'10) as well as over the sink and toilet. The tub was nice, but the stopper didn't work so I had to use a plastic bag underneath the stopper to hold in the water. And apparently you can bring your pets, which should be stated at the Web site for allergy reasons.
We ended up staying in the Safari due to the privacy; you're not next to, or on top of, anyone else. It was quiet (except for the wall AC unit that kept icing over and making clicking noises) and intimate.
We originally planned to have a minister come to the Charles to renew our vows, but were so discouraged by the grounds, we changed to having the ceremony on the gazebo at the bottom of King St. and are SO glad we did! Gorgeous spot!!
All in all, it gets 3 out of 5 stars b/c the staff was exceptional, the Inn has a certain ambiance- albeit worn and in need of updating, and it is on the quieter end of Queen Street so you can walk to the shops w/o all the noise right outside your door. But again, if this is your first time in Ontario, don't discount the B&Bs all over NOTL. While we much prefer hotels and Inns and usually don't stay at B&Bs, we were impressed with their decor, huge breakfasts, and great prices and if we go again, that's what we'll do.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank acustomer123
Cornwall, Ontario
Reviewed 24 May 2010

The Inn is beautiful. The staff is amazing, they even loaned us an umbrella when it begain to rain the day of the wine tours. Award winning chef on staff, food is both beautiful to look at and delicious.
Best vacation ever I rated sleep quality as excellent becuase that was the highest I could go. Not only was the bed wonderful, the linens wonderful but we were provided with a Alarm clock/CD player that also had nature sounds. Guests without a bar fridge are offerened the opportunity to store thing requiring refridgeration in the Inn's kitchen. Water coolers are supplied at designated locations within the inn, along with a glass pitcher in your room. This supplies guests with bottle water while remaining enviornmentally friendly. They Really have thought of everything

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2010

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a romantic weekend getaway in Niagara-on-the-Lake for our anniversary. We booked the Sunflower Room at the Charles Inn and chose their Candlelight and Romance Package. We have stayed at many historic inns and bed and breakfasts over the years and had high expectations after viewing the photos of the inn online. Unfortunately, the inn and the room fell short of those expectations. The inn felt tired and in need of some updating. There were large water stains on the ceiling in the hall outside our room -- not a great first impression. The Sunflower Room was small, but we knew that from the online description. At $245 per night, we were expecting a well-appointed room. The furniture wasn't particularly historic. There was a cheap melamine coffee bar trolley and an IKEA-type bedside table (melamine wood grain). The room just felt like it had been furnished with garage sale finds. The bathroom had been renovated with some nice touches (chic shower stall, new sink and taps). Unfortunately, they missed the mark when they decided to save money by keeping the old, painted wooden vanity which was badly damaged at the bottom. We had dinner at the Inn and the food and service was excellent. The continental breakfast was good, although I'm not a fan of smoked salmon and cheese first thing in the morning. The breakfast wasn't particularly filling (a small bowl of yogourt with granola and berries and two tiny croissants). We ended up buying some muffins in town later on to tide us over until lunch time. If we decide to stay in Niagara on the Lake again, we wouldn't likely stay at the Charles Inn.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2010

My wife and I spent a few nights at the Charles Inn late December following our wedding. We stayed in the Newark Room which was a delightful room with 4-post bed, real fire place and comfortable furniture. We really enjoyed the room and it is a great location at the end of the main street. I arranged a surprise horse and carriage for my wife, although this was over 20 minutes late in arriving, that was outside the control of the Inn. On departure, after the receptionist found nothing had been done for us as newlyweds, we received a bottle of Konzelman sparkling wine as a gift. We didn't get a chance to using the dining facilities, only for our breakfast, which was included in price. Overall, we had a great time in a very comfortable surrounding.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
NEW TECUMSETH
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I am so glad we discovered this amazing Inn. One of the best i've ever stayed at. Wonderful charm of Inn and staff made the trip! Rooms are beautiful and the balconies and gardens are just wonderful. Continental breakfast was one of the best ever! This Inn is quiet and peaceful, yet has a wonderful friendly staff that gives the Inn it's life and friendly face. We will definately recommend this Inn to friends and family, and will be back very soon!!! Magnolia room is roomy, with a great bathroom-heated floors glass shower. And the private balcony was fabulous. Sat out at night with candles, and during the day while it rained. Just beautiful! Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I had the amazing fortune of staying at the Charles Inn this weekend in beautiful Niagara on the Lake. It had been recommended to my husband and I by close friends, and their words didn't quite do our stay justice. The service was wonderful, the food was delicious and of particular value for the quality, and it was the best sleep either of us has had in a long time! Certainly worth a stay if you are in the area.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple