“Good comfortable hotel, but after-service could be improved”

Best Western Colonel Butler Inn
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Reception staff were great on arrival, gave us good map and lots of recommendations before we head off to the falls.

On our return we were a bit disappointed with the onsite restaurant to went elsewhere.

Rooms (we had two doubles) were comfortable, spacious and clean. As we only stayed one night, and didn't spend very much time at all in the hotel, it more than met our needs.

Breakfast was great - peaches were in season and were absolutely mouthwatering. Ability to make your own waffles was a bit hit with the kids and the chef/restaurant manager was friendly and interested in us, so we had a good experience.

Only negative was that my son left his (empty thank goodness) wallet in his room and when they contacted me I was told that they didn't have the facilities to send me a photo? Really, no one in the hotel had a smart phone?? And then they proposed to charge me $25 to courier/DHL to our hotel in Montreal.... I really got the feeling that they were going through the motions and weren't really trying to help me find a solution.

Room Tip: Away from reception and restaurant will be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
derrickbw, General Manager at Best Western Colonel Butler Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

To TheCliftonFamily, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay. On behalf of the Colonel Butler team, we are glad your family had such an enjoyable stay and we are sorry we were not more helpful in regards to your left-behind item. You are absolutely right that we could have sent a picture of the item and I have spoken to my team that if they don't have a smart phone available to take pictures then to ask coworkers or to wait for myself and I can do it. Unfortunately, the minimum charge to ship something is $25 as we use the nearby UPS when guests need an item shipped.

I will pass on your compliments to our breakfast attendant, Lida. She will be glad to hear that you and your kids had such a great breakfast experience. We do hope you'll stay with again.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

The room was immaculate and the staff very friendly and helpful. We had a plumbing issue on the third day, and they quickly moved us to one of their best rooms. Breakfast was fine, especially with the wonderful peaches from one of the staff member's farm. This is a great deal and is blessedly away from the chaos of the main old town area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide a high level of service and cleanliness while also giving guests real value. I'll pass on your compliments to our breakfast attendant, Lida; she loves bringing in fruit from her farm during the summer to share with guests for a local touch. We hope to see you again and if there is anything we can do to make that next stay even more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to let us know!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Excellent value, comfortable room with good armchair for reading. Included breakfast was very good. Housekeeping was excellent and responsive when we asked for early cleanup. Room was quiet and parking convenient.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The hotel reminds me more of a bed and breakfast place than a hotel. It's small and the people at the front desk chat to you as if you're an old friend. The breakfast was very good. I liked the coffee, fresh fruit, and the toast. We had a lovely king bed with lots of pillows which was all very comfortable. The room was clean and quite large. We paid extra for a junior suite. I like to walk, so the fact that the hotel isn't located right downtown Niagara on the Lake wasn't a problem for me. The area is flat and the walk was pleasant. However, if you have mobility problems, then you may have to consider driving downtown. The price was rather expensive, in my opinion, but the prices in Niagara on the Lake tend to be high, no matter which hotel you stay in.

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs which meant that we had nobody above us. The room was a corner unit which meant w...
Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Susan, thank you so much for your kind words! I agree, we do provide an intimate feel like a B&B and it's so nice to hear when guests feel at home. I'm glad you enjoyed your spacious king junior suite, our complimentary breakfast, and convenient location. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The room was a good big size, the beds extremely comfortable. In particular, Alexandra was so very friendly and helpful, remembering names, always ready to assist with a big smile. Thank you! Adrian and Carol Holt

Room Tip: As far as I know all rooms are good!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Adrian and Carol, we appreciate you giving us a 5* review and Alexandra appreciates your compliments. We are thrilled that you had such a terrific experience; enjoying our spacious rooms and comfortable beds. We hope you'll be able to stay with us again!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The rooms are comfortable and immaculate. The staff is friendly and helpful. After one night at another local "inn," I was fortunate to get a room here. Breakfast room was busy; the staff person there was amazingly capable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Louisville2014
derrickbw, General Manager at Best Western Colonel Butler Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Thank you for your 5* review! I'm glad you were able to stay with us and enjoyed our hospitality. Yes, the breakfast attendant, Lida, is a wonder in our breakfast room. She has been at the Colonel Butler Inn for almost 20 years now and loves chatting with guests in the morning. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here over the weekend for a bachelorette party. While it is quite expensive to stay here, the rooms are very reasonably price compared to other hotels in the area. The staff were very accommodating, allowing us to check in early. The rooms were fairly plain, but clean. The beds were actually quite comfortable! The continental breakfast was nice: boiled eggs, waffles, muffins, fresh fruit, coffee and juice. The proximity to the downtown area was also a bonus. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a clean place to stay at a decent price!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends