“This B&B is A1 in my book”

Annette Twining House
Ottawa, Canada
“This B&B is A1 in my book”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

In June of this year (2014), I visited Niagara-on-the-Lake with a friend from New Zealand who was at the end of a round-the-world trip. She was tired of hotels, tired of the ordinary, everyday motels, and was looking for somewhere she could totally relax. We spent three nights at this delightful B&B and both left wishing we'd been able to stay longer. Our hosts, Annette and Michael, couldn't have been more welcoming, unobtrusive yet always available if we needed anything. The suite we stayed in was quiet and comfortably furnished with everything we needed, and more (I'm still chuckling over the Naughty Nineties Pop-up Book that I found in the bookshelf). Annette's breakfasts were amazing, as is the gorgeous garden out back. I'd recommend this delightful B&B in a heartbeat, and am looking forward to a return trip next year. .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 433HelenR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

As I write this, I'm lying in a beautiful four-poster, listening to birdsong and the splash of water from the fountain. The smells of another delicious breakfast are encouraging me to get out of this comfy bed. Annette and Michael are the ultimate hosts; very knowledgable about the area, warm and charming, and she's a great cook! Our room (King George Suite) has a rooftop terrace where hubby and I ended each day with a glass of wine, planning the next days adventures. Michael's gardens are gorgeous and a few ideas will be coming home with me. Twining House is beautiful, with Annette's great eye for colour and detail. Thank you both for making our trip so special.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shari D
Mill Bay, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I reviewed many B&B's in Niagra On The Lake and finally settled on this one.
We were joining children for the Thanksgiving weekend; I have a physical disability and so would not be biking or walking but the fireplace sounded perfect for reading. We arrived five minutes after check-in time but were told by a surly-faced woman that our room was not ready. It was a gorgeous day and so we went for lunch and were happy enough to wait. We returned, the room was furnished in very old (antique) furniture with the bottoms falling out of chairs. The bedroom, however, was comfortable with nice linen. The second day was cloudy but my family met and went biking while I stayed in our private parlour which adjoined the bedroom. After a while, I became chilled and looked for the starter to turn on the electric fireplace. I could find it nowhere. I sought out the owner, the husband, and he told me he had taken it/ That it wasn't working. I asked if he could fix it, then told him we understood that the fireplace was part of the package which was why we booked the most expensive room in his house. He returned it and cautioned me not to leave it on, "like you did yesterday". I had not left it on nor used it. That evening we had a bottle of champagne and crackers in our room to celebrate the event and our children. Then the four of us went out. When we returned, he was waiting for us by our door and he was incensed!! Something about a very expensive book which was on our coffee table. "You put food on it". We would never put food on anything but a plate, especially in a public place like this. His anger was tangible and frightening to me. Then he said, "I want you to pay me now because I think you're going to try to sneak out during the night". He was delusional. My husband paid him there and then although we were not to leave until after breakfast the next day. We did not partake in that breakfast as we both felt sick to our stomachs. Advice: Avoid this place!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Melfromhell
point pleasant beach, nj
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband and I traveled to Niagra-on-the-Lake for the winter Ice Wine Festival. The Twinings inn was lovely. We had a beautiful suite with a fireplace. Staying at the inn was so much like staying with friends. Annette was in Florida, and Michael was a wonderful solo host in her absence. Gourmet breakfasts were only outshone by the interesting conversations we shared after our meal. Michael was a great resource for shopping, pubs and restaurants in the village.I would highly recommend that you enjoy a great stay at the inn in a historic, quaint town.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shoresoutherner
Shaker Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I came here for a "girl"weekend and now feel like I have an extended family. Our room,with sitting room,is so comfortable,breakfast is delicious and the company ,delightful.annette is busy maintaining all of the niceties and Michael is creating a beautiful garden.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marjorie R
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The four poster bed was very comfortable and the breakfasts that Annette produced were top notch! Fresh tomatoes from the garden, outstanding blueberry cake with lemon curd sauce, delicious fresh fruit and we were woken one morning by the smell of home made bread - only wish we could have stayed for a few more nights!

Breakfast is served at 9:00 am for all guests and this made it an enjoyable social event.

Annette provided lots of info on local restaurants, wineries and helpful tips for visit to Niagara Falls.

Niagara on the lake is a much nicer and more interesting, charming place to stay I think than Niagara and would recommend this every time.

Would love to return some time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Annette and Michael offer up three suites in the heart of Niagara on the Lake. We had the queen suite which included an ensuite bathroom and small sitting room. It was comfortable and very nicely decorated. The gardens to this property are spectacular, offering guests many options for whiling away the time. Annette conjures up a different breakfast each day that is substantial and delicious. One day was fruit salad to start made from local produce, followed by eggs Benedict and topped off with the most marvellous coffee cake. A couple of bikes are available for guests use. And to top it all off, the hosts are very knowledgable of all things NOTL, from restaurants to wineries and theatre. A real treat.

• Stayed August 2013