“Get it in writing!”

Annette Twining House
Reviewed 7 September 2006

Make sure you get a WRITTEN confirmation from these people specifically stating what you will be charged per night.

I did my research on line but called and made my reservation over the phone directly with Annette providing my credit card for the deposit as she required. Unfortunately, however, we had to cancel 10 days or so prior to our planned visit.

As the Annette Twining B & B website states, we were prepared to pay the cancellation fee of one night's room rental. When I called to cancel, Annette herself argued w/me insisting that I was obligated to pay all 3 nights ... and I insisted that according to her website it specifically states 'cancellation fee equal to one night's fee if reservation is cancelled w/in 14 days'.

My credit card bill came today ... She quoted me $245 Canadian dollars per night ... yet she submitted a charge for $262.70 ... maybe not much more, but still more regardless.

Fortunately for me, my credit card company is going to 'absorb' the $16.20 US difference ... but I would not recommend making any reservations with these people without something in writing.

Stayed: August 2006
4  Thank hye-em

Reviewed 13 August 2006

This is one of the best B&B's we've stayed in anywhere. This beautiful old house has been restored with impeccable good taste by Annette and Michael, who are warm and welcoming proprietors. We stayed in the King George room, a very large room with exquisite furnishings and a quiet, private rooftop patio looking over the extensive back gardens. Coming back after a play at one of the Shaw Festival theaters, the stars seemed to pop out of the sky as we lolled on the patio with only the sound of the wind in the trees and the clop of hooves from the horse-drawn carriages touring the historic district this house is located in.

The three course breakfasts are imaginative and delicious, and the conversation always lively from guests who always seem so relaxed and happy.

Annette and Michael were also very helpful suggesting a variety of interesting vineyards to visit and arranging for a genuine London cab to ferry us among the vineyards. On other visits, we've also enjoyed the golf, the lake, and the shops. The Peach Festival on this visit was an unexpected and pleasant surprise.

Rarely has a B&B contributed so well to our overall experience and ambience of a place. If you like NOTL, you'll love this B&B.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 July 2006

We spent a weekend at this lovely B & B in Niagara-On-The-Lake. The Queen Charlotte suite was cosy, comfortable, and quite romantic. The fresh flowers from the amazing garden added to the ambience. The three course breakfases were the perfect start to the day. The location, just off the "downtown" area, made parking a non-issue. We pulled into the B & B parking are on Friday afternoon, and did not have to use the car until we left on Sunday afternoon. Just walking or sitting in Michael's wonderful garden was a meditative expericene. Our hosts, Annette and Michael, were helpful and accomodating.

They do have 2 small dogs, Louie and Sadie, for those (like me) who can't go too long without a puppy-fix. The owners do make an amazing effort to keep the dogs away from the guest areas: They only come in to the common areas when you ask to see them, and they never go to the 2nd floor guest suites. The dogs are also of the hyopallergenic varieties (a Bichon and a Westie), but if you have extremely severe alergies, use caution. Also note, to preserve the antique, but soft, wood floors, it is requested that you do not wear shoes in the house. A baskedt of assorted slippers awaits you near the front door.

Well worth the trip! Enjoy!!

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank quiltgeek5
Reviewed 2 June 2006

Every year my husband and I celebrate our anniversary by taking a trip to Niagara-on-the-Lake. Over the 20 years, we have stayed in many lovely B and Bs and this is the second time we stayed at the Annette Twining House because I wanted to guarantee we would have a good time. It is a charming historic home, beautifully renovated so there are lots of modern comforts such as up-to-date bathrooms, but they have kept the historic touches. It has been an inn and a school and has a lovely front step and foyer to welcome you in. I slept like a baby -- the bed was incredibly comfortable with some kind of soft mattress cover and luxurious sheets. However, what I will remember most about this place is the incredible breakfasts turned out by Annette. We had Eggs Benedict and strawberry crepes one day and an asparagus tart with crab cakes and bacon the next. Yummy. Michael, who is very funny, serves and then, after you've eaten, they both sit down with coffee for a good chat. They've got excellent advice on what to do in the area and are located one block from the main street and close to everything.

Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank TorontoHappyCanadian
Western Springs, IL
Reviewed 26 October 2005

We recently discovered Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, and the Annett Twining House. We rarely visit places twice but would definitely repeat this trip. The town, the area, and the B&B are wonderful. When people ask about our recent vacation, I start by saying "I'm now doing marketing for Niagara on the Lake and the Twining House." The Twining House is a beautifully restored home from the 1800s with 3 rooms. Baths are modern (double sinks in ours). Our room had a second sitting room; think the other rooms do, also. The home is a block away from the town's main street, very easy walking to the lake and theater (enjoy the George Bernard Shaw festival). There's a large and beautiful back yard at the Home (think it had a jacuzzi we didn't try). The B&B calso omes with two of the worlds' most adorable dogs. Even if you're not a dog person, you'll love them.

Breakfast is incredible. I've never had so many absolutely gourmet breakfasts (and we've been staying at B&Bs for years). For example, a brie and leek breakfast dish with fresh crab cakes on the side, a raspberry/almond coffeecake still warm from the oven, poached pears with ice wine, and too many great dishes to mention. Everyone eats at 9:00 so there's 6 people at the dining room table. The people we met were extremely interesting. After breakfast the B&B owners, Annette (who makes the breakfasts) and husband Michael grab a cup of coffee and sit down as the guests finish breakfast. Each morning the entire table lingered for a very long time, because visiting was so most enjoyable.

Annette was a personal planner for things to do and, especially, where to eat in the area. We provided general guidance on the type of food we'd like and then just checked in with her each day to see where we were going for dinner.

The town and area has beautiful scenery, miles of bike trails, historic sights, a nice shopping town, high-class dining everywhere, vineyards and a winery down every road, great theater and is close to Niagra Falls, on top of all else. We'd definitely go back to the area and the Annette Twining House.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 18 October 2005

I believe we may have caught the hostess on a bad weekend. From the moment we walked through the door she was cold and unfriendly. We felt more unwelcomed or like a bother than a guest. And within the first 5 minutes of meeting, she began bad mouthing some local businesses and telling us about a fight she had with one of the owners earlier that week. She was also quite snappish with us on more than one occasion. We felt as if we were walking on egg shells and actually snuck in and out of the house to avoid seeing her. Granted, her husband was recovering from knee surgery, but I hardly think that is a reason to be rude. The room was absolutely lovely with a cozy fireplace, balcony over looking an amazing garden, and a luxury bathroom. Luckily, my other half is an amazing man who obviously went through a lot of effort to make this a romantic weekend to remember. So the rudness of the host did not spoil the weekend. But sadly, I cannot recommend this B&B to others.

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 10 October 2005

My husband and I just returned from Niagara-on-the-lake. I've never stayed at a B&B before, so I was a bit nervous before going there but Annette Twining House was an amazing B&B. We stayed at William & Mary Room for 2 nights and the room was absolutely beautiful. It was beautifully decorated with nice furniture pieces and huge bed with most comfortable duvet. The bathroom was equally beautiful and clean and the adjacent sunroom was cozy. I didn't see any dust! It was meticulously clean.

Annette's breakfast was just outstanding. I wish I could just go back there today for another breakfast. Every day she came up with something different and she never failed to please my tastebuds! Michael was great at serving us with beautiful plates and endless cofee & tea. The conversation at the table was so interesting. It was like a holiday family dinner. We saw many repeated guests who had come to Annette & Michael's B&B for many times over the years.

The location is great - so close to Queen St. If you buy too many gifts, you can just walk back to your room to drop your stuff :-)

Overall we were impressed. Annette & Michael are perfect hosts and I highly recommend this place. We are planning to go back there again.

• Stayed: October 2005