“Great owners & horses!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Niagara Riding Stables

Niagara Riding Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Niagara trail riding at it's best! Public trail riding along the Niagara escarpment in the heart of wine country. Niagara's longest running trail riding establishment, since 1961. No experience necessary, horses for all levels, minimum age 10 yrs. 15 minutes from both Old Town Niagara On The Lake and Niagara Falls. Open all season, reservations recommended.
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great owners & horses!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

As a birthday surprise, I took my partner horseback riding for the first time this past Saturday. It was incredibly fun and a memorable experience! The owner Dinah, her husband and another lady who guided us were so friendly and helpful! All the horses were adorable! I rode Bebe and my partner had Storm. Dinah paired everyone with horses with similar personalities, and I have to say, like Bebe, I also do not enjoy being tailgated and passed over! It was so awesome how it worked out without Dinah really knowing me!

We were well prepared with sunscreen, long sleeve, jeans, and bug spray. It was a little hot out, but we were riding through the escarpment under the shade. It was so fun and I highly recommend this place to anyone!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Punkay

St. Catharines, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“so much fun.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My friends and I have gone on rides with this company twice. The first time there were several other people along the second time it was just the two of us. I was given bailey both times, she is a stubborn one but the guides are always close by to help out and give you tips. I never felt like I was out of control. My friends both got king. WOW what a huge sweetie pie of a horse. They didn't even need to hold the reigns, he was perfect. This ride is a great time frame and you can tell the owner really cares about her horses. Will be riding here again in the future. Remember to print out and fill in the disclaimer before going. It saves time. And hit the bathroom before going.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Melony C
New Haven, Connecticut
113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“Torn between average/very good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is a pretty standard horseback riding experience. I had some difficulty in getting a reservation. Every time I called it went to voicemail. I persisted because the price was very reasonable.

Helmets are mandatory for this stable (no disclaimer you can sign to not wear a helmet). Some of the horses were placid but some others were more stubborn and requires a firm hand. I'm not sure why they would pair up horses who don't like each other to riders from the same reservation, as that meant we couldn't take pictures together.

We saw some wildife on the trail, but a lookout point wasn't pointed out to us as indicated by a previous reviewer (unless that luxury is only given when a proposal is planned), and Dinah frequently checked her cell phone from time to time on the trail.

I feel that you're a beginner rider and timid you would really need more encouragement and guidance than what's provided by the guides here. There were a couple of times where I narrowly escaped my leg being brushed against a tree trunk or a couple of branches in my eye because my horse was naturally walking into these things without consideration that it's carrying a human. Of course, not the fault of the horse. Over time I just learned to be bossy to tell the horse to pick a different path than the one before it, but if this was my first time riding I may not have had the courage to do so.

The trail itself is unremarkable and resembles any horseback riding trail in a wooded area.

It is interesting that some previous TA reviewers got Mack even after they said it was their first time, because Mack was introduced to our group as a very stubborn horse that requires more experienced handling.

While the guides were nice and it was still a fun time, I don't consider this to be any better or significant worse than most of the horseback riding experiences I have gone to in the past.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely the highlight of our trip!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

What an amazing experience!! The staff was so friendly and knowledgeable. They paired us with the perfect horses for our past riding experience and personalities! The trails were pretty muddy but the horses did so well. We would definitely do this again and recommend it to everyone, no matter your past riding experience.

1 Thank tiffanyandpaul
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful Trails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Dinah and her horses were fantastic! I rode Bebe and my husband rode Mack. Were were fairly novice riders with minimal experience under our belts but felt that these 2 horses were perfectly suited to our abilities. The trails were beautiful and I can only imagine that will be even more lovely as the summer comes on. We had quite a bit of mud due to 2 weeks of rain, but we and the horses made the best of it. I highly recommend a ride if you are in the area!

1 Thank Marita L