“Appreciation of the Hilton Garden at Niagara on the Lake”

Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Reviewed 22 May 2014

After a convention in Welland, we extended our stay at Niagara on the Lake. We toured some wonderful wineries and attended a musical play at the Shaw theatre. We were very pleased to find the Hilton Garden for a very confortable stay. We strongly recommend it. It is interesting that it is so close to the new shopping outlets.

2  Thank Gilles G
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Location - it's very close to the highway, the new premium outlet mall that opened, and about a 15-20 minute drive from Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Service - it's good. Staff are friendly and welcoming, and generally mind their own business (ie, don't trip over themselves to help you). They are also helpful when you have any requests or issues.

Rooms - the best I can say is that they provide modern luxuries, such as bed, bathroom, desk, wifi, and a telly. But they came in a box with all the other hotel rooms maintained by Holiday Inn, Best Western, etc., etc., that generate the singular sentiment when you walk in that can only be described by "yup, this is a room and there's the bed". On that note, the beds are not great quality - they have a nifty dial-a-firmness feature that did not work for me in any way (I spent most of the night unable to sleep due to discomfort) and seemed better in theory than in practice. The walls aren't very thin, so best of luck with your neighbours.

Cleanliness - no complaints. The staff do a great job in maintaining it.

One note: the breakfast may leave you searching beyond the hotel's walls for something that isn't likely to immediately reduce your life expectancy (incredibly oily everything; evil-looking sausages; possibly synthetic egg-like material passing for eggs). The coffee was quite good, though.

Bottom line: it's cheap and convenient, but don't expect too much.

Room Tip: Part of the hotel faces the road, so it might be somewhat noisy. Because the walls and doors are not...
3  Thank Jeremy W
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife and I spent 2 nights here on a combination of Hilton points and a reduced room rate. The food service at breakfast and dinner was good. The hotel is in a great location with easy access to the Q, the wineries and the town of Niagara on the Lake. Staff were friendly and attentive. We'd stay here again if we are ever back in this area.

1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Niagara on the Lake for two weeks was fantastic. The hotel has a wonderful atmosphere with mature landscaping that gives you the feeling of being in a resort. The friendly helpful staff made the stay a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gary C
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Room was OK. Staff were dreadful.
Arrived tired after long drive expecting the welcome that we have received all over Canada on many visits - sadly mistaken.
Decided not to book as thought staff would be helpful regarding this. Asked weather it was better to book on internet and desk staff said it was only 8 dollars difference so I didn't bother. In fact if we had booked it would have included breakfast ($12.95 a head) which would have saved me in total $67.80! (unfortunately I booked 2 nights)
But it didn't stop at bad advice...
we were given a room on the ground floor (referred to as first floor by the receptionist hence mistake on my part) which was right by the fire escape on ground floor. Considered this to be a security risk and asked for another room as soon as I saw it. I was told that there were no other rooms available. I was suspicious of this and checked on the internet and was told that there were king sized rooms available. So suspected that the receptionist had lied to me. when I asked about this she said that 'there were only queen sized rooms available no king sized and that there must be a mistake on the internet.' (btw at no point had I specified a KS room and was not given an option on arrival - just quoted $159.) I checked on a different site later and they still said that there were king sized rooms available so if there was 'an error' it was at the Hilton end. It was at this time that I noticed that not only could I have got free breakfast by prebooking but the Hilton website was offering a KS room for $137!!
It was about this time that we had dinner which took over 1 hour to arrive and we got ours before the people next to us who had ordered before us! (Their meal for 4 arrived in 2 parts too.) we were given a free drink but yet again the staff were full of implausible excuses. It seemed to boil down to a lack of kitchen staff but we were told that they had a lot of room service (restaurant was mostly empty), guests had cancelled orders (no surprise there) and one of the machines had stopped working for 15 minutes.
Apparently we guests are really inconvenient - so I guess we just shouldn't bother.
PS. I am about to check out and have picked up the bill which has been put under the door. I can't actually read the total but I note that I have been charged an extra $12.08 'destination promotion fee' which I have checked on the web is voluntary (I won't be paying) and a facility fee of $6.36 which I have yet to have explained to me. I wonder how that conversation is going to go!

Room Tip: Good luck if the staff can be bothered to give you a choice!
4  Thank melonta2014
LCSAWYER, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. I apologize that the quality and value of your stay was interrupted by misinformation from our front desk team. I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of advising and communicating with our guests so that you receive the quality hotel stay you expect and deserve. The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area, I hope that you will be our guest again. If we may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact our office directly.

Leea Sawyer
Assistant General Manager
leea.sawyer@flemingc.on.ca
905-984-4200

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We came with a big group of people so I understand that it could be overwhelming, the girls at the from desk did an amazing job doing everything as quick as possible,I think her name started with an Rosie but she was very nice and the one next to her, didn't catch her name but both helpful and smiling.The rooms where clean so its a big thumbs up to housekeeping ! the pool was tidy and clean.. when i called for towels they came right away! overall GREAT stay for one night!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank shelby s
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Another great night at our "local hotel" for our regular bi monthly girls getaway. Everything great as usual. Clean comfy speedy check in always friendly front desk staff.

The only disappointing thing was the next morning all the stuff we had kept in the fridge for our breakfast snacks and drinks left over from the night before had frozen solid. Obviously needed checking.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends