“Parliment Cottage, Niagara-on-the-Lake - Excellent”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Parliament Cottage B&B circa 1840
Whitesboro, New York
“Parliment Cottage, Niagara-on-the-Lake - Excellent”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Parliament Cottage. It was very clean, comfortable, bright and well decorated. The breakfast was fresh and plentiful! The owner, Isabelle, could not have been more helpful or accommodating. It was located within a few blocks of shops and theatres. We highly recommend this quiet and comfortable setting for a great get-away.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I can't say enough about the quality of hospitality and service received during my stay at Parliament Cottage, in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. Breakfast included several courses and was delicious both mornings, featuring fruit in season, and was so plentiful that I didn't need to think about lunch either day! The proprietress was so helpful to all the guests, providing information on local attractions, directions, etc. Additionally, the first morning of my stay, I awoke to a flat tire, and spent the next two days dealing with various people at the car rental agency. The proprietress went to great lengths to help me through this, including a trip two days in a row to take me into St. Catharine's (about 30 minutes away) to the business(es) assigned to replace the flat tire. I was really at a loss, finding myself in a foreign country without transportation. She willingly offered suggestions and took valuable time out of her day to help me get on my way. Without her help, I am sure I would never have been able to make a performance in Stratford, ON which was about a 2-hr drive from Niagara-on-the-Lake! I'll never forget my stay at Parliament Cottage, how helpful the proprietress was in my hour of need, and will definitely recommend this B&B to friends considering visiting this town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Diane F
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My boyfriend and I just came back from a two night stay at isabell's Parliament Cottage. This was my first experience at a bed and breakfast and I truly enjoyed it.

Service - Isabell welcomed us warmly when we first arrived. Before showing us to our room and giving us a thorough tour of her bed and breakfast, she pleasantly chatted with us. I appreciated that she wanted to get to know us before we settled in. Isabell also let us know that she would be away and introduced us to "her helper", Melissa, who asked us many times if we were in need of anything extra.

Value - She has three bikes that are available to use at no extra cost. My boyfriend planned this trip to bike along the trail from Niagara-on-the-lake to the falls. She warned him that the bikes "were not that great" but they suited us fine, and saved us paying 20 dollars per bike rental for the day.

Sleep Quality - Expect to have a very restful sleep while at Pariament Cottage. I recommend sleeping with the window open so that you can fall asleep to the sounds of nature. We stayed in the Stornoway room which had a very comfortable mattress.

Cleanliness - Parliament Cottage is very well maintained. The room and common areas are kept very clean. All linens provided were fresh and clean.

Location - This bed and breakfast is within walking distance to the main street. Although we did not see any of the plays, many other vacationers went to see plays at the nearby theatres. We enjoyed being close to the trails and parks so that we could play badminton and bike to the falls.

Rooms - Storonway room is at the front of the house near the front door. We liked this location because we felt as though we wouldn't disturb any of the other guests coming in or out. The room was also very well decorated and has a small television. Wifi is provided throughout the cottage if you need access to the Internet.

Food 5/5 - I am a vegetarian and Isabell accommodated to me well. She asked me what I normally eat for breakfast. I enjoyed the fresh fruit in the morning. She offers tea and coffee for her guests. She even had almond milk for me tea! She is a talented baker. She made us pear muffins from the pears she was picking from her backyard. (I forgot to ask for the recipe). The next day she had raisin scones which were very delicious. My boyfriend does not like raisins and he still ate one and loved it.

All in all we had a lovely stay at Parliament Cottage. I recommend it to people who are looking to experience Niagra-on-the-lake, whether it be for the activities, theatre, or wineries. It is a quaint, quiet town were people are polite. I will definitely plan on coming back.

Room Tip: I believe that Stronoway room is the only room with a television.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy385
Pistoia, Italy
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed in the Sussex room, with private bathroom. Room is normal size, nice and clean.
The B&B is not far from the centre, just 5 minutes walking, and it has all you would need to have a confortable staying in this lovely town. The owner also gave us free tasting for the wineries and informations about niagara falls.
But we had some problem as well.
Breakfast is at 8,30. Don't be late, otherwise you are in troubles!.
We were 15 minutes late as we were late the night before, and the owner didn't serve us any breakfast saying she had gas restrictions and bla bla. But in any case, this is not polite, especially saying we weren't having any breakfast while sitting with others guests.
Also there is air conditioning all day in the house, so expect low temperature in your room. We tried to open the window for warm air, but the lady said we had to keep it closed as the air was on.
We've been travelling for years, sleeping in all types of accomodations, from hostels to grand hotels, but we never had such a poor regard from owners or employees. People in holiday are just looking for happyness and relax.
So please think about it twice before booking this B&B.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ombretta G
babilu, Owner at Parliament Cottage B&B circa 1840, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
It is apparent that language and cultural differences have played a major role in this misunderstanding. For example, the "opening windows" led me to believe that the room was excessively warm. A note asking that windows be kept closed was my answer to cool the room. What a difference communication makes! This is a bed and breakfast, not a hostel, and when guests are advised breakfast is served at 8:30 it is served, meaning that it is presented to guests at that time. Another misinterpretation of the English language. In this traditional style B&B the guests are invited to the table at 8:30 where they find their fresh fruit, warm baking, yogurt selections in front of them with coffee & juices nearby at the side. To suggest in your review, that a late arrival, on two consecutive days, receives no breakfast is, at best, incorrect and misleading. It does not seem reasonable that late arrivals would expect the punctual guests to be interrupted in receiving their hot entrée, nor should a late guest expect warm dishes to be at their peak after waiting.
Effort and time were given to save you money and help you enjoy a day in Niagara Falls. Parliament Cottage B&B is priced at a rate far below the average room cost in
Niagara on the Lake and has an over 50% repeat clientele. Good value for your money was offered to you. Perhaps this region is higher priced than other areas travelled in your holidays. Evidence of why my home received a low score on cleanliness would have been greatly appreciated & immediately corrected.
Through many years of travel in each continent I have always carried the philosophy "Go & experience the differences". The differences here seem to be appreciated by many travellers.

Of course, this is ALL so trivial when you put life in perspective.

Wishing you many more years of happy times in your travels.

Isabelle
Catonsville, MD
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We just came home from our fourth stay at Parliament Cottage, and we already look forward to next year. Isabelle keeps a beautiful house, with a flower garden that has given my wife ideas for her garden here at home. We enjoy seeing plays at the Shaw Festival, and the location of Parliament Cottage is ideal -- in a quiet neighborhood, 10 minutes' walk to the Royal George Theatre, 20 to the Festival Theatre.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CatonsvilleGeorge
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Thank you to our hostess for a great 2-night stay - we were pampered with warm hospitality, delicious breakfasts, and very helpful and knowledgeable suggestions about the region. We had a wonderful trip!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Every detail attended to in this elegant but comfortable B&B. Scrumptious and very generously portioned gourmet breakfasts, bottomless cups of coffee or tea, very attentive hostess. Just a quiet and scenic 5 min walk to Queen St - perfect location for us. Isabelle is a wealth of information (restaurant recommendations, e.g.) and she does her utmost to accommodate special requests (dietary or otherwise); do your part by giving her plenty of notice so that she can be prepared - you will be delighted with the results. We have stayed here twice and are reluctant to try anywhere else because we think we've been spoiled! Excellent value for the money - can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple