“EXACTLY what we needed.”

Grand Victorian Bed and Breakfast
Illinois
“EXACTLY what we needed.”
Reviewed 6 October 2009

My husband and I work so many hours and never have time to relax and connect. Until we came to the Grand Victorian. This old house has an aura about it that as soon as your step inside, the senses to respect and enjoy the little things in life- come to life. As we had a glass of wine on the beautiful veranda over looking country gardens and class, my husband and I were able to catch up and reminisce on old times. Our room had a beautiful four poster bed with exquisite bed decor. Old antique furniture filled the mansion. It was really an experience that is not available anymore. Everyone I know goes on trips to stare at tvs and basically ignore each other. You will not find that setting here.
A+ for the fact that there is a popular winery right next door!!!
I read the other reviews and to be honest the brides sound like bridezillas. And yes old mansions may have some cracked paint, it didn't disturb mine or my husbands sleep and its nothing noticeable.
My piece of advice is call and set up an appointment to check out what they offer for weddings. You can't please everyone.
Upon our departure we saw the hard work going into the set up of a wedding, and we also go to look through some photo albums on the premises and the weddings look magical.
My husband and I were very happy with the Grand Victorian. It was EXACTLY what we needed to escape and unwind! Thanks again Grand Vic! See you next summer!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
east coast us
Reviewed 22 July 2009

If you appreciate an historic property with the real feel of the Victorian period over a newly built pristine but artifical representation of the past then the GV is a good fit for you.
The owners have taken pains to modernize yet retain much of the authentic features of their Victorian mansion. The hostess greets you with a friendly and energetic manner ---she offers plenty of good advice on local sites and wineries. She made dinner reservations for us at a fantastic local restaurant and pointed out the free wine tasting at the winery next door for GV guests.
The large wrap around porch has nice wicker rockers and a swing for relaxing. A spacious entry room with a huge fireplace has several large rooms off each side.
A massive oak staircase leads a large, albeit somewhat dim, central common area on the second floor, the guest rooms fan off on all sides. Each room and private bath is individually decorated with Victorian antiques —clawfoot tubs, brass fixtures, amoires, enormous canopy beds, some are suites -- no TV's or phones-- but that adds to the escape-from-the-modern-world experience. Clean rooms with nice quality linens and towels, pretty bed dressings and pillows. There are a few pieces of rococco ceramics and brickabracks scattered about that might be off putting to purists, didn't bother us.
There is a working vineyard next door and you can view it from the back. There is some lawn, garden and a tennis court—not manicured but pleasant. The location on the parkway road is just far enough out of town to escape the town bustle but close enough drive to the center of NOTL in a few minutes.
Breakfast is cereal and coffee available before the full 9 am buffet that included a tasty hot quiche, cold meats, cheeses, fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, several toasting breads and tasty sweet breads made on the premises, --with all of the guests at one big table, several were repeat customers and all were well pleased with their rooms and the owner's advice. The whole stay was a nice break from giant Niagra Falls resorts, over-priced spas and pretentious inns.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 7 April 2008

For brides, I would recommend asking lots of questions in advance. Do not accept assurances that you don't need to worry and that all will be handled. It won't. I recognized I might have problems when several of the vendors told me "not to worry" and that they work as a team and look out for problems with the Inn management during the receptions.

What do I regret most? Not hiring a wedding consultant to manage the relationship with the Inn. The relationship NEEDS to be managed -- especially during the reception -- and it fell on me, the bride to chase after all the details that were falling thru the cracks. It's not a 100% package. If you accept that and manage accordingly, it can be a beautiful setting.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank LoveNOTL
ontario
Reviewed 16 January 2008

We had a wonderful long weekend at the Grand Victorian B&B. The location was picturesque and the B&B itself was historic and beautiful.

The B&B's age and history are what led us to be guests. We found the rooms to be immaculate, cozy and full of charm. We spent afternoons on their beautiful wrap around porch, sipping wine and taking in the view.

The property itself overlooks the beautiful Reif Estates Winery. We loved to be able to walk to the winery and enjoy the tours and tastings.

Our hosts Eva and Klaus were amazing and made our stay very memorable.

We would definitely visit this B&B again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
titania82
Reviewed 24 August 2007

I've seen several posts on here questioning the Grand Victorian- and I must say, they hosted and coordinated the most beautiful and carefree wedding for me.
Pictures as evidence: [--]

Planning:

I was planning every part of my wedding from Dallas, Tx and lacked the ability to even go check out the site prior to the week of the wedding. If found the GV via Google and after speaking with Eva, decided it was the place for me. Eva and I had regular phone calls, email Q&A sessions, etc. She recommended amazing vendors inclusive of:

Flowers:
Marsha Howe of Marsha's Flowers
[--]
She created absolutely amazing arrangements with very little direction on my part (I gave her a few pictures and said go to town!)

Catering: Robin Howe
We wanted a southwestern inspired cuisine and were very very specific about flavor combinations and presentation. Not only was the presentation beautiful, the entrees turned out better than the Dallas restaurant from which their inspiration came.

DJ: Mark Lambert
This man rocked. He was 100% digital, no flipping for CD's, etc- and had more music that I could imagine. We couldn't find the CD with our chosen first dance song as we were rushing out of the house for our 6 am flight, so were going to scour various website for it. I emailed him to find out if he minding us giving him and mp3- and it turned out he had the song anyway- mind you, this is a song from 1993, from a rare artist (mostly only popular in Texas)- I was floored!

String Quartet: Niagara String Quartet
They were absolutely wonderful- great recommendations for pieces and timing. My only major hassle was that they would only take bank checks or international money order, neither of which were easy for me to get, but that isn't really their problem

Officiant: Deborah Vaughan
We were looking for someone that wasn't completely a-religious that perform a same gender wedding- and we found our perfect match with Deborah! We made modifications to her normal ceremony and she didn't miss a beat, even coming prepared with extra tid bits of content that enhanced our ceremony.

So, I have nothing but raves for all of her vendors- and everything related to dance tents, tables, etc etc etc, I never even had to think about. She asked me a few basic questions, asked me for the flow of the ceremony etc- and magically it all appeared, without a hitch.

Contract issues I've seen in the past- yes, TGV does require that the wine provided at the wedding come from the Reif Estate. I knew that going in, love Reif Estate wine, and had no issues. Another great thing about using their wines: Reif will buy back what you don't use!

Comments on the location itself:

The house is old and fabulous- lots of character, beautiful woodwork, huge spacious rooms with beautiful claw foot tubs and stained glass windows that make pre-wedding photography amazing! Our room was the porch room and came with a queen size bed, outfitted with a down duvet cover, coverlet, and wonderful high threadcount sheets- at least 600TC? We had a sun porch which was perfect for enjoying our first cup of coffee in the morning or sipping a glass of wine as the sunset. There is a common area on the second floor where a refridgerator is available for leftovers, chilling wine, etc. Eva is also most gracious with providing barware, irons, hair dryers, extra towels and anything else that one could forget!

I've seen references to peeling paint and yes, there was some of that, but hey, if you were an ancient Victorian house, you probably would have some too- and it adds character and life to the location! Breakfast was great each morning- normally a beautiful assortment of local fruits, meats, breads, quiche, etc.
The grounds were manicured right before the wedding, but even before, the flower beds and common areas were delightful- full of brightly colored local flowers and healthy greenery.

To wrap it up- to all of you brides and grooms out there- seriously consider the Grand Victorian for your wedding! Looking for a quiet and intimate place for a vacation- this too is your spot!

• Liked — The history of the house
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank titania82
Toronto
Reviewed 25 April 2007

I had my wedding here a few years back and although the Niagara-on-the-Lake area is a fantastic place for the occasion, the Grand Victorian left much to be desired. The owner is a control nut and even though we had rented the entire B&B for the whole weekend, used her caterer and staff she still demanded that we only drink wine from the winery next door.

This is only a taste of what I didn't like about this place. Save your wedding before it’s too late….go somewhere else!

Stayed April 2007
6 Thank ABinTO
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 13 August 2006

THIS B&B IS NOT GRAND AT ALL!!! Paint was peeling outside & inside. A faucet in my bathroom was broken off. Curtains in my bedroom were dirty & dingy. Grounds were not kept up. Pillows and wicker furniture on front porch were filthy. Sample menus kept in a binder for reference were a couple years outdated. Swimming pool that was advertised for guests could not be used due to some local zoning issue. The backyard was littered with old pots, a beer tap, old umbrella, rusted gazebo & junk.

I would not recommend this B&B. I felt that the owner just wanted to cash in on the history of this once wonderful old place. She did not keep it up and just unfortunately cashed in on the grand old name and history of this once great house. It was very sad.

12 Thank SuzanneJ