“A small surprise”

Old Firehall
Price range: US$12 - US$27
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Casual Dining in the heart of wine country.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After living in the area for 7 years we finally decided to try this small but mighty restaurant tucked away in the St. Davids area of Niagara on the Lake. The menu was diverse covering a Mediterranean flare. There were 4 of us and we tried 3 different dishes plus a shared appetizer of Saganaki. All were very tasty and did not disappoint. The wines, both red and white, available by the glass offered a good selection of local fare and the Cabernet Sauvignon we tried was delicious. The restaurant is very small but does manage to have a bar and separate dining area as well as an outdoor patio. Being very hot and humid we choose to stay indoors. The only negative I would mention is the comfort of the chairs. They are metal and do not encourage diners to linger over coffee and dessert.

1  Thank JMBennoch

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I thought this might be a good find being that it's off the beaten track from the NOTL tourist traps, however, I was pretty disappointed with the menu selection and food. The dining room is small but quaint, and it was very busy. The service was really good. My friends enjoyed their meal, perhaps I just selected the wrong thing. The waiter did not charge me for my meal and for that reason, I will return and give this place a second chance.

1  Thank JLCToronto
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I dined here by myself while attending a conference and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The server was so friendly and attentive. He recommended an affordable wine that was exactly what I was looking for. I had the steak sandwich with a greek salad and both were delicious and reminded me of the kind of quality traditional meal reminiscent of family bbqs. The quality of beef was good and the marinade very tasty. I had chocolate cake for dessert, which was also delicious.

I opted to sit outside on their new patio, which was delightful because it was quiet and lush.

If you're wanting to get away from the NOTL crowds and some of the overpriced meals in a lot of the Old town restaurants, it's worth driving to St. David's to visit this friendly family-run establishment. They're also situated near some great boutique wineries, such as Ravine, Five Rows, and Coyote Run to name a few.

2  Thank NorthTDot
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The food was so good at this restaurant, very quiet atmosphere but friendly, clean, charming and service was wonderful. Had the chicken souvlaki and beef tenderloin - both were amazing, we ate everything on our plates, so tender and juicy. just overall great experience.

1  Thank AmandaSK82
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Nice little restaurant. Sandwiches or Mediterranean/Italian - good food. Calamari was excellent - grilled with tomato.