“A great dissapointment after the great reviews.”

Trius Winery Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Trius Winery Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$52 - US$153
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Hillebrand Winery Restaurant celebrates the relationship between our land, our people, our wines and our food. Chef Frank Dodd showcases locally inspired cuisine made with ingredients from the bounty of Niagara Wine Country, and Winemaker Craig McDonald pairs them with wines made from grapes that grow in the same soil. Extend your stay in Wine Country, and allow us to arrange a private tasting in our Collector's Boutique or another Winery Experience prior to your meal.
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Beautiful scenery, good dessert, nice wines with incredibly slow service and very overpriced and terrible food. That would describe our experience on Thursday, July 1st. My mother and I had reservations for lunch at 1:30 pm. We had pre-paid $100 for the lunch (A "deal" with the Shaw Festival for 2 tickets to a show and 2 lunches at Hillebrand for $280) and still had to pay another $15 each for the wine pairings. We also could only order from a special "Shaw Lunch" 3 course menu. The first and last courses were set, and we had to choose between a hamburger or unnamed fish "du jour" for the entree. The first course was a "roasted red pepper" soup which tasted a bit like canned cream of tomato soup with a mini spoonful of crab and dot of caviar. The baguette and walnut bread were good, but the purple "wine butter" was a miss. It took over an hour for our second course to arrive, and we were a bit skeptical that it would ever arrive after we saw the table next to us receive their food and then have it taken away by the servers just minutes later as the servers had given them the wrong food! Another server came out moments later with two plates, walked around the patio looking at each table, and then returned back to the kitchen. It was scary!
We both chose the "fish" and were horrified to see a pitiful piece of "whitefish" on a soggy bed of bok choy, green peas, and pea stuffed ravioli. Besides looking terrible, I am allergic to peas! There was nothing on the menu to say peas were in the dish. The kitchen was nice enough to fix me another plate sans peas and pea ravioli, substituting more bok choy and mini gnochi. The bland and monochrome dish was tasteless, watery and so dissappointing.
The only saving grace was the nice dessert which helped take the awful taste away. I do recommend the Cabernet Frank Ice Wine that was paired with dessert. The whole experience took more than 3 hours, most of which was spent sitting in the hot weather, trying to move out of the sun, and find someone who could refill our empty water glasses.
Next time, I would only do a wine tasting or tour and skip the worst dining experience of our stay.

1  Thank PattyG08

Reviewed 14 June 2010

I booked our anniversary here based on the reviews I read on this Web site. My husband and I both love food and wine and don't mind splurging, as long as we're getting what we pay for. We were not disappointed in the least! We had an 8pm reservation on a Friday and we practically had the place to ourselves (I suspect this is due to the fact that many NOTL visitors are older and probably eat earlier). The atmosphere is elegant and romantic, but still felt very contemporary. We both elected to do the 3 course wine pairing dinner and we each had an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert. We agreed to each choose 3 differet things so we could pass plates back and forth and try more things. All 6 courses that we tried were absolutley delicious. The ingredients were fresh and seasonal, and the flavors were exciting without being over the top. The wine pairings were spot on. Our waiter recommended a couple wine substitions and we took him up on his suggestions to find that they were really good ones. My only complaint is that when we were ready to leave, it took forever for them to bring our bill. Not a dealbreaker- I would definitely go back.

1  Thank trynewthings37
Reviewed 24 April 2010

The restaurant compares favorably to any top major city restaurants; menu was very rich; food quality great. Do not miss this restaurant.

1  Thank MSAUsa
Reviewed 3 April 2010

We stopped here on our wine tour that was hosted by Niagara Classic Cabs. By far this was the most enjoyable stop we had. More knowledge was shared here with us than any other place. We got a chance to sample some great wines, bought a bunch including two $50 bottles that they had at a greatly reduced rate.

We ended up serving one of these bottles at our new years party and everyone agreed that it was by far the best wine the we served.

Thank you for the over the top experience, we will return.

1  Thank AORandy
Reviewed 2 February 2010

My husband and I ate here in August '09 and it was phenomenal! I have to say I was concerned about only having access to Hillebrand wines since I am a bit of a wino... and sorry - no offense but Niagara wines are not my favorite - but I was very pleasantly surprised with the wine. The red (I think it was a cab) had a beautiful smokey flavor and the whites were great too. The food was out of this world. It was super creative, perfectly cooked, beautiful presentation. Timing was wonderful, staff super and fun and the setting was very pretty.
Call me crazy for vacationing in Niagara-on-the-lake but I really don't care for dessert wines. Despite that, our server gave us multiple tastings and when I explained my preference obliged me with a bubbly instead:) Ahhh - right up my alley.
We ate at a couple of other restaurants while we were in NOTL and this was definitely the best!

1  Thank Laingk