“A Cozy Return”

DownHome Bed and Breakfast
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“A Cozy Return”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We spent the Canada Day weekend here as part of my birthday treat, including two shows at the Shaw Festival Theatre. We had a different room this time, but it was as clean and comfortable as our first visit a few years ago. Breakfast was a deliciously filling treat. Sandy was aware of my diabetes and made me aware of what she'd prepared, so I could judge what I could enjoy. She and James were a great source of household hints and local history, but also timed their part of the conversations so we had lots of opportunity to talk with the other two couples at the table. The location is a convenient walk to the shops in Niagara-on-the-Lake as well as the theatre, but far enough away to ensure a peaceful sleep. It was good to come back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 15 May 2013

DownHome B&B is run by a very friendly couple, Sandy and James. Their B&B is located on a quiet residential street, 4 blocks exactly from the Shaw George Theatre, and about 6 blocks from the Festival Theatre. The B&B has three bedrooms on the second floor -- the two I saw were comfortable in size, well-appointed (including small refrigerator) and containing a large, comfortable bed. They have the fixings for tea always available on the main floor, with a supply of milk and dark chocolate for nibbling. The provided me a considerable breakfast each morning I stayed - three courses, in fact. The breakfast started with fresh fruit, moved to the main course (an omelette or pancakes) and ended with a sweet (like home-baked pie). There is a very nice garden and deck in the back, which I did not use because the weather was cloudy and rainy while I was there -- but in sunny weather, would be a good place to just sit or read.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I went to Niagara on the Lake on the Labour Day long week end. I thought of booking a room in august, and apparently it was too late, cause all the places within 200 dollar range were taken for that date. when i saw a room available in Downhome, i booked it right away, thinking that if there's nowhere else to stay, it's good to stay at least somewhere. I did not expect much from a B&B, but it was a nice surprise! Sandy and James are very welcoming people. The room was nice and clean, you could definitely see, that they invested in the interior of the house. Everything is very well maintained. It feels like you are visiting your family. Nice clean room and bathroom, HUGE and tasty breakfasts and an amazing location. it was way more than i expected and both of us are happy to have stayed at Downhome. If you plan to do wineries, Sandy and James will help you out with the places to go and a map, will give you coupons for tastings and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GalitaBonita
Petrolia, ON
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed for 1 night in July. Sandy and James are very welcoming and friendly. This was our first bed and breakfast experience and we did enjoy it. We stayed in the Beaujolais room and it had everything we needed for our stay. The room did not have a TV, but this this did not bother us as we were not there to watch TV. THe food was great. We started off with some fruit, then some amazing baked french toast with bacon, maple syrup, chives and tomatoes on top. Finished with a great dessert which was similiar to an angel food cake topped with a peach and plum(I think) sauce and whipped cream. We were definitely full after our breakfast. The B&B is about a 10 minute walk to the main attractions of NOTL. The walk at night is a little dark for the last block or two.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My boyfriend surprised me with a night stay here. At first I was a little worried about staying in a Bed and Breakfast but he did a lot of research on this one. The room we stayed in was as clean as could be. The bed was extremely comfortable with some of the most comfortable sheets. Our room also had a jacuzzi which was a nice feature. From the minute we walked in the hosts were as nice as could be. They made us feel so welcome and were some of the kindest people we have met. They do the cooking as well and it was delicious!! We were first served yogurt with fruit, followed by an amazing ham and cheese omelet and then they ended the meal with a homemade cranberry muffin. Breakfast was also served with orange juice, water and coffee. (since I'm not a coffee drinker, they provided me with hot chocolate which was amazing) We had the most wonderful stay here, from beginning to end. We look forward to planning our next stay here soon! The one and only negative is it was a little dry so if you are staying during the winter just keep that in mind.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennalynn13
Goshen, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Welcoming, clean, comfortable, yummy food, good conversation, location all come to mind to review our stay. The website is very clear and accurate. Sandy and James welcome you at the door. Your car is parked in front for free. They greet you and give you the tour. There are chocolates and cookies waiting for you any time of day. Cool filtered water is provided in your room along with a mini fridge, hair drier and shampoo. Their deck and back yard are inviting for sipping a glass of wine anytime. The beds were so comfortable but the smell of breakfast pulls you down the stairs. The breakfast conversation was stimulating as the French pressed coffee. James is the "1 chef" with surprisingly delicious peach omletes. Sandy'sfresh blueberry pancakes with whipped cream were my favorite. And there is dessert at each breakfast-need I say more! They are both helpful with coupons (free dessert at their affiliates) or maps or suggestions for things to do. We never moved our car. It's three blocks to bike rentals and less than a ten minute walk to Queen ST. This is a well cared for home and business. My review does not do justice to the clean efficiency of this B&B. Make sure to ask James to check the border crossing update for you. He will let you know which bridge is moving better and give you the insider tip on which lane is the fastest.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jc17oh
Pawling, NY
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Thank goodness I had not read the bad review made by another traveler. My friend and I generally do a road trip every year and have stayed in Niagara-on-the-Lake before. We were late making reservations and had to select a new B&B. I'm so thankful we did. The home is lovely but the gardens and outdoor seating are absolutely wonderful! We took our wine out in the late afternoons and enjoyed the pleasant surroundings before going to dinner. Our room was not huge but it was certainly roomy enough, even with two single women sharing it. It was very comfortable with a small frige and a lovely bath. Wireless connections were available at no charge. The hosts were very pleasant and welcoming. Breakfast was served at 8:30am. This is not uncommon. We have stayed at many B&B's in our travels and everyone is unique to the hosts personality. That is part of their charm. a parking area was provided and the main area of Old Towne was a few blocks away. We were served 3 courses every morning besides our juice and coffee. Our host has developed her own recipes and the food is artfully arranged. I can eat fairly large portions but even I, could not finish all of my meal. Our host provided us with a map for touring the wine country and coupons for free wine tastings. My friend and I were both more than pleased and felt that this B&B compared very favorably with some of our favorites. I would not hesitate to book a room again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends