“A good night's rest”

Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in North Bay
Kitchener, Canada
“A good night's rest”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Since our previous stay here, the hotel has new owners. We met Jay, the general manager, and he seems determined to provide a good stay experience. He has made some changes to staff and it shows.

This hotel provided a good place to stay, at a reasonable price from the moment that Mary Anne booked us in, until we checked out. Place was quite clean, the rooms pleasant to stay in. Everything worked as it should.

The "continental breakfast" was good and they have one of those waffle machines - for which there was a line-up. Still, there were cold cereals, yogurt, bagels, toast, fresh fruit and muffins to choose from if you were in a hurry.

There are other options to stay in North Bay, for sure. However, for the money this is a very good place to stay while in the area. We will stay here again, the next time we visit the area.

Room Tip: I try to not stay in the two rooms that are in the hall to the side door. Hall traffic can be quite...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have never written a review for a hotel, but this time I feel it is needed. This was the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel. First off, and this is no real fault to the hotel, I booked through getaroom.com (TripAdvisor) and selected non-smoking as my preference. I didn't realize that my preference would not be guaranteed, unfortunate given I have asthma and am irritated medically by cigarette smoke.

Me and my girlfriend were assigned a smoking room as we had no other option. We were told (by the front desk staff) we could be switched to a non-smoking room the next night. We figured we would just deal for one night and breathe in some glorious fresh air the next night. On our way to the room, we were met by another staff member who took us to the room to check on the smell, as he had another option available. The initial room (the suite we paid for) was very smoky, and his other option (a room) wasn't as bad. We chose the room, and he once again told us we could move rooms the next night.

Here's where the issue arises. We were told by both of the above parties to have our bags ready in the morning as they would be moved to a non-smoking suite. After gathering our belongings in a rush the next morning, we were told by the front desk (same as the night before) that the room we had been moved to was in fact non-smoking. I insinuated this was not true and received defensive, and extremely rude feedback. Bottom line: the room had no No Smoking sign on the door, and two ashtrays displayed prominently... as far as I'm concerned that's a smoking room. That's without mentioning the underlying stench of smoke and the sore throats we both woke up with. I did not complain directly to staff after our stay as frankly I didn't want to waste my breath after an extremely stressful business trip.

The room was not clean and essentially in a state of disrepair. To top off this experience, we received no housekeeping service at all.

Suffice it to say, I will not be staying at this establishment again, and will be filing a formal complaint with all parties.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Kingston, Ontario
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Unfortunately, this hotel did not live up to the reviews I had read online. My son and I stayed a total of 3 nights. It was - adequate - but I would not choose to stay again - North Bay has much better options. The reviews I read were extremely positive regarding the cleanliness of rooms, friendliness of staff, and quality of breakfast. None of these things met with my expectations. The cleanliness was satisfactory to the naked eye, but the attention to detail (such as dusting the headboard or vacuuming behind furniture) was clearly NOT there. The first day, I returned to my room at 10pm, after a long day to find our room had not been attended to. The lady ot the front desk made some excuse about being short staffed, and acted inconvenienced by my simple request for clean towels. The breakfasts were a standard continental breakfast, with the addition of a waffle maker, which was in high demand and functioned poorly. There was never more than one staff person on duty - to attend to both the front desk and the breakfast bar - quite unfair to that employee when the owners were aware that the hotel was fully booked. Empty juice containers, empty coffee urns, and empty condiment holders were commonplace all three mornings - no fault of the person on staff - more staff was clearly needed. The building was dated, and the recent "renovations" were poorly done and unfinished. The doors have been replaced, but the bathrooms were in need of updating - peeling wallpaper, leaky shower head, and no hooks - not even on the bathroom door. Overall, this hotel was a disappointment. If it's a quick stop in the middle of the night, it's fine to lay your head. But for anything more than that, I'd definitely check out other options. I can honestly say that this is the first time that I've made such a huge mistake when booking a hotel online. This review is long, because I don't want others to make the same mistake I did.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

North Bay
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Our company usually stays at another hotel in North Bay. That hotel was booked so we decided to stay at this one. What a great hotel! The staff was wonderful and the hotel was clean and appealing. Needless to say, this is now our "go to" hotel when we are up in North Bay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business