“Lovely new property and well-situated”

Hilton Garden Inn Toronto/Oakville
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Oakville
Kent, Ohio
“Lovely new property and well-situated”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a beautiful new property with everything HGI should have (except the cookie but I am over those HGI cookies anyway). Quiet, well-situated with easy access to several freeways and a short drive to lake access in downtown Oakville. You can stay here with confidence. It's a nice area, there's a Wendy's and a Tim Horton's just down the street in case you are starving and don't feel like ordering from room service. And the people staying there for the most part were very nice people, except for one woman bellowing in the hallway about her pizza choices.

But the point is, you never know with hotels, even HGI's which in my opinion are among the nicest, but this one is truly what it claims to be. Coming in from the States as I was, this hotel is closer than Toronto proper, which is really nice after a long drive and a tedious border crossing.

If you want more details, read below, otherwise you can book here with confidence.

They actually have the kind of beds HGI claims to have, where you decide on the firmness. I mention that specifically because the last HGI I stayed at in Toronto (not this one) gave me a "king bed" which was actually two twin beds shoved together, one of which was old and saggy and the other newer and firmer, although nothing to write home about.

So it might sound cynical to say that it's nice to actually see an HGI do what it promises to do.

One thing I liked a lot at the HGI Oakville is the party policy. When you check in they make you sign a party policy thing which basically says that if you disturb other guests to the point that it costs the hotel money, in terms of refunds or discounts, you have to reimburse the hotel. So that seems to keep the partiers at bay. If you are one of those people who actually hope to get some sleep, this policy is a good thing. I wish they did that in the States.

On the other hand, the minor issues I did have were dealt with with more kindness than efficiency. I asked for a sewing kit and the front desk staff asked like I was asking for a cornea or something. Just like they'd never heard of such a request in their lives and in fact they were unable to produce one. The third person I asked finally told me they had run out and they wouldn't get any more until after the holiday. A minor annoyance but I always save my little sewing chores for hotel stays because there is nothing else to do. And frankly, for what you pay to stay, "we ran out" is not an acceptable answer, in my opinion, for standard hotel amenities. If you ran out then call the Fairfield Inn next door and get one. Figure it out in some way.

There was a distinct smell of urine in one of the elevators on the evening of day 2 of my stay (there were several groups of partiers). I didn't even bother to tell the one guy in the evening because I knew he would not deal with it. I reported it to another guy the next morning, advising him to tell the cleaning staff when they arrived, and several hours later the smell still remained. Yes I am OCD and everything else but if it were me running that hotel I'd have gone and gotten the mop myself right then and there.

But in general, the standards of cleanliness were very high.

Having said as much, my room had clearly not been dusted in some time. There were fingerprints in the dust by the TV.

In regards to noise, as I said, the party policy seemed to keep the people noise down. However, the room had weird "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" sounds coming from the fridge. It did not really bother me, it was kind of like sleeping with whale calls in the background, but it could bother someone else. Something that did bother me was the climate control. Both the fan and the a/c would just stop, inexplicably, at least once an hour. I thought at first it was because the room had reached the required temperature but that wasn't it, and I know because I checked. And since I am a light sleeper, the combined effect of the fan suddenly stopping and the increase in room temperature woke me up multiple times per night. I noticed the climate control issue when I checked in but since it had taken a while for the room to be ready I didn't want to make a fuss. But I should have because I barely got any sleep the whole time I was there. The thought of dealing with the friendly but not overly efficient staff made me just grin and bear it.

All in all, a very good stay. I say that, even though my sleep quality was poor, because I could have/should have tried harder to change rooms. The problem was with the various groups of partiers in the hotel I was afraid I'd end up getting stuck near one of them and then it would be even worse. Party policy or not, the sound of doors slamming shut continually will keep you up too. I guess the moral of the story is, if you really want a good night's sleep, stay home. But if you want to stay somewhere clean and well-located with friendly staff, you can stay here with confidence.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Situated right off the QEW near the 403 & Ford Oakville plant, the Hilton Garden Inn will not disappoint...Although not recognized as a Honors Gold member, I was very happy with the large sized room, with comfortable furnishings. The TV had a great picture quality - the binder in the room has incorrect channel listings though - just use the laminated card by the TV to get the right order. Internet was excellent - however at the front desk told me to log onto 'AT&T wifi' but you actually log into "HiltonHonors". Speed & connection were above average for hotels, which was nice & appreciated. The bed was very comfortable & great for sleeping with clean, crisp sheets. The washroom was a very good size, well stocked & great water pressure. The breakfast buffet was a good selection with a good selection of juices, breads & hot foods..omlettes are made to order if you like. Overall it was an enjoyable stay & would recommend it for anyone needing a quality & value place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed two nights while in town for an interview. The location was great and convenient to the QEW. Check in was fast and the room was good. Hotel is very quiet which was great. I found the business center good although I would have loved a colour printer but overall it helped with a last minute crisis.

All staff I encountered were helpful and friendly. I would definitely choose this location again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Sunnyvale, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Your Internet connections (phone and laptop) will be cut off after exactly 24 hours while leaving the wireless connected. You are helpless to do anything, even when you know that it's going to happen.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Alun J
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

very friendly staff and comfortable, quiet rooms. Complimentary breakfast is a huge time saver. The complimentary room internet was a little less than desireable as far as supporting the business needs (vpn connectivity) but it is free so.... What can i really complain about?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We arrived early and our room was ready for us. We were able to rest for a bit before seeing family. The front desk was very polite and offered us complimentary bottles of water right away as we are HHonours members. Coming back later that night we were able to fall asleep right away on a great mattress on the king size bed and no noise despite the hotel being very busy that weekend. Good location for us as we have family in Toronto and Hamilton. Thank you for a very comfy stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful.The food was good.I would stay there again.I was not keen on the location because I did not have a car.The area is very nice for walking.I woiuld rent a car for my next trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

KeelyC, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Toronto/Oakville, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experinece with us!

We strive to make our guests feel at home and welcome while staying with us!

I am so glad you enjoyed your meals as well!

Looking forwad to welcoming you back in the near future!