“Not Real, but Real Good”

Cynthia's Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #93 of 477 Restaurants in Oakville
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“Not Real, but Real Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

As a frequent business visitor to China, I can vouch that Cynthia's is like the Mandarin in its appearance shtick. The supposed authentic clothing is not even close to old Cantonese (which the food is). The place is however successful in fulfilling an unrealistic North American view of what an authentic Chinese restaurant would look like. I have eaten in many, many restaurants all over China, and none wear the clothing or have the appearance of Cynthia's.

O.K. Now that I got that off my chest. I want to repeat what I said above, that Cynthia's is "successful in fulfilling an unrealistic North American view of what an authentic Chinese restaurant would look like." This was obvious by the full house when I was there. My guest was a Chinese-born immigrant. He was the only Chinese patron in the place. All the patrons in the place looked very happy.

The reason my business associate and I were very happy was because the food was GREAT and what we ordered was authentic Cantonese. Having Tsingtao beer was also great. Although significant parts of the menu are North American (from drinks to desserts), the main dishes we enjoyed were genuinely Cantonese.

Highly recommend the food. If you like the Mandarin, you should love Cynthia's.

I will go again for the food.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Passport_Filled

Toronto, Canada
“Can't wait to go back and dine-in”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We had a coupon and ordered take out. When we saw the interior we were so surprised. It's beautiful and the wait staff is wearing traditional Chinese dress. It would be great for a special occasion (The Chinese equivalent of Beni-Hana for its uniqueness )The food we had was excellent. The lemon chicken was delicious and the portions seemed fair for the price. I believe take out is less expensive than the dining room. It's our new favorite take out place but we look forward to eating I the dining room and taking advantage of the ambiance.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank JDD313
Oakville, Canada
“I would try them again if I didn't go to my regular place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have known of this restaurant for awhile, my favourite Chinese place has always been in Burlington but since we received coupons in the mail we decided to try it. We went on a Friday arriving near 6pm. All employees were attired in I guess traditional Chinese garb which was very charming and they were very attentive and friendly. The servings were tasty but on the small side when compared to many Chinese restaurants. Maybe because one quarter of the plates was taken up by fancy carved vegetables in the shape of flowers or birds (looked like an Eagle).
The Wonton soup was served in a closed vessel that swung open so the presentation was nice but again small for what they were charging.
I wasn't disappointed in the overall taste but I did think that the price you were charged for what you got was a little on the high side.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Murray M
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
“Cynthia's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

The atmosphere is very high class, the waiters are dressed in Chinese outfits and they are very friendly. The food is the best in Oakville. The service for pickup or delivery is also great. Cynthia herself is at the restaurant a lot and she's really nice.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Ralph G
Oakville, Canada
“Excellent High End Chinese in Suburban Oakville”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Was pleasantly surprised. Went here for dinner, nothing special and no reservations. Seated immediately. Staff very attentive. Drink selection is excellent although the server was way too eager to get our drinks - the drink menu is extensive and she was back about 30 secs after seating us, then came back twice more before we were ready to order. And she only gave us one drink menu for the two of us.

Food was great, although a little expensive. However, this is not your typical takeaway quality Chinese food, so understand that you're not paying for frozen chicken balls reheated in oil. Would go back, and will order the Peking duck so that they bang the gong for me!

• Visited October 2013