“Mye, mye, mye what a disappointment”

Mye Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 477 Restaurants in Oakville
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church St. and Navy St.
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
“Mye, mye, mye what a disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I used to be a regular customer until a few years ago - I even hosted my son's wedding reception here
This last Friday night I made reservation for my wife and I - we were a few minutes late and were made even later by the slow service from the female maitre de. It was evidence in her expression when I announced we had a reservation that she realized that she had just seated the couple ahead of us at the table that had been reserved for us. The best option she could then conjure up was two seats at the sushi bar that were opposite the open private room in which were a very, very loud party of Asian folks - they were just getting into their drinking contest so the decibels were increasing by the minute. We declined this seating and in fact while offered a table "in a few minutes" we declined because it was obvious that the entire evening in every single part of the restaurant would be drowned out and ruined by the raucous drinking party. Good decision as when we looked in the window two hours later they were still singing and shouting and drinking in a totally out of control fashion. They were undoubtably having great fun while ruining everyone else's evening out.
I am so very disappointed with this experience especially as I enjoyed a whole variety of Japanese restaurants in Tokyo in December and was so looking forward to an enjoyable evening. Instead we walked across the street and enjoyed a pleasant meal at Jonathan's Bistro with more civilized patrons.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Alan E

Sausalito
“Wonderful Sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Best sushi we've eaten, and we eat a lot of sushi. We have been dining at the Mye since almost the day they opened 25 years ago. it's always fresh and tasty. A little pricey but, you get what you pay for. Service, at times, can be a little slow. It is not the wait staff, though, it is the sushi bar. Over the years, the volume of take way orders has substantially increased, putting excess workload on the chefs.

• Visited August 2013
toronto
“The search for fresh uni”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

We had read various reviews from Trip before making a reservation at this restaurant. There were lots of complaints about the service but we didn't experience that. Now we had made a reservation for 6pm on a week night which turns out to be the perfect time. We got in right before the crowd so the wait for our sushi wasn't lengthy. We came to this restaurant just for the sushi so we did a couple of appetizers and pretty much went a la carte on the sushi. The appetizers we ordered were tempura and seaweed salad nothing to rave about. The first round of sushi was amazing very fresh and melts in your mouth. We had Fluke, BC Tuna, Salmon, Surf Clams and Scallop sushi with spicy yellow tail rolls (highly recommended as we ordered seconds) and red dragon rolls. All was fresh and delicious! Now they were sold out on sweet shrimp, sea bass and regular Toro (so we did not substitute those). After the first round we reordered the spicy yellow tail and thought since these were all good we should order the UNI. Now I had uni in NYC at Yasuda and Zen Sushi in the east end and by far NYC won out by a long shot! The uni at Mye was fishy with a liquid texture which means it sat too long or way old. The give away was the smell my bf noticed...but we ignored it and ate anyway. Big mistake. I don't know what it is with TO maybe people here don't order uni often but we find even at Zen they're not that fresh. Anyways we did notify our waitress and suggested she tell the chef (now a sushi master would have already known this by the look and smell of the uni but we thought we should voice our concern) she simply said "oh I am sorry you didn't enjoy that". I watched her the whole time and not once did I see her voice our concern. I guess it's inventory they had to clear and we were just unfortunate to order it. Aside from this incident everything else even the service was great. Would I go back again? Yes for everything else NOT the UNI. I think I have given up on Uni in TO. BTW the alcohol is expensive so be prepared, and our second order took half an hour because the restaurant was full by then.

• Visited August 2013
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
“Just fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I have visited many times but appreciate Mye even more since my recent visit to Tokyo. Excellent food and great hospitality.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Alan E
Mississauga, Canada
“not the "trendiest" place but seriously amazing food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I'm kinda tired of walking into izakays (or those super trendy or fusion restaurants in and around the city). Loud music (maybe i'm just past my teen/20s and dont want to sit elbow to elbow with youngsters paying with their parents' VISA cards). I'm definitely a foodie and when it comes to Mye, the food is fantastic. Seriously. No bells or whistles, just straight up delicious. My fav is the yakuniku (sp?) and spicy tuna rolls.

As I said, don't expect the trendiest music to be playing the background, but do expect a mouthwatering meal and pretty good service.

• Visited June 2013