“Highly praised and dissapointed”

English Bay Fish & Chips
Ranked #129 of 495 Restaurants in Oakville
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: So much more than just a Fish & Chip shop, English Bay offers full table service in a warm and comfortable setting. Everything is home made, including fabulous desserts and soups. Choose from a nice selection of wines and local craft brewed beers. Take-out also available. Free WiFi.
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My boyfriend is really picky when it comes to food, he's use to the finer things. But I was craving for some fish and chips. So I read numerous reviews not only here but on Yelp and Urbanspoon too. English Bay was the highest rated place on all forums. I had breaded Sole and he had battered Haddock and Halibut. The sole was overdone but the breading was okay you would expect a little seasoning. The battered fish was hard and cut your mouth open, but the fish itself was okay. Fries were soggy by the time we got back (take out). So still looking that hidden gem fish and chip place in Oakville. Don't listen to the reviews this place is nothing special. Mediocre at best.

Mark M, Owner at English Bay Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2015

When I was in university I dated a girl who was really picky about food and was used to the finer things in life.

So I understand.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

We wanted fish and chips and read the reviews from English Bay Fish & Chips so decided to go and try it out.
The halibut fish was fantastic but the fries were still crunchy because they weren't cooked. When the waitress came to our table ,we told her the french fries weren't cooked and her comment was "Oh that's unfortunate."
I don't think I would go back because she has no customer service skills.
When she brought us the bill she asked if we would like to share an order of fries when we were all done. NOOOO! she should have asked us that when we first told her they were uncooked.

Mark M, Owner at English Bay Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Hello Brenda,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review, it has helped us address an obvious issue with our service.

When you pointed out that your chips were undercooked, your server brought it immediately to the attention of the "manager", who that Sunday was actually the cook (my wife and I had taken the day off). They discussed it and came to the conclusion that they should offer some new chips, but they took WAY too long to reach that decision.

It's a shame you won't be returning for our "fantastic" halibut due to this isolated incident. These are very good young people learning the business, and unfortunately they messed this one up.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I had the Cod and Chips and thought it was good. It was crispy on the outside and there was just enough chips. My wife and I both felt full but not stuffed, which is a nice change. Other restaurants that we've been to either give you too much or too little.
The service was quick and friendly and the atmosphere feels like you're eating at home.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

We heard good reviews, so we decided to get take out one Sunday night. What a let down!! We ordered the the cod with traditional batter and chips. The size of the pieces of fish we to be desired and the batter was soggy not crispy and it was overly greasy. There were a fair amount of chips but like the fish soggy as well. The staff seemed friendly enough and it the decor was ok for a fish & chips place. Overall experience was poor and would not return.

Mark M, Owner at English Bay Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yours is now the third online review expressing dissatisfaction with the cod. We are currently working to find out what is going wrong with this product.

We regret that your meal was not up to standard, we really do work very hard to make sure that each meal is the best it can be.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Mark and Grace continue to provide excellent fish & chips from quality oil. Grace is famous for her homemade deserts. Very convenient open hours.

1  Thank rsmacdon