“Great Campground, Close to the City”

Ottawa Municipal Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ottawa
Ottawa Municipal Campground
Ranked #13 of 26 Speciality Lodging in Ottawa
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We are full time RV'ers and have stayed in many, many campgrounds over the last 7 years. This is one of our favorites. The city of Ottawa no longer operates it; Wesley Clover has the contract to do that, but they seem to be exhibiting the same care and maintenance. Sites vary a lot in terms of size and amenities, so look at the website and select what you need and want. Sites are fairly level, gravel, and mostly shaded. Picnic tables and fire rings are provided. There are recycling bins as well. The trees and grass make this an attractive place to stay. It's quiet at night, too, except for a little road noise. The location and access to the bike paths is outstanding. Though we usually drive into Remic Rapids park and bike into Ottawa from there, we can and have biked into the city right from the campground. Bike the other direction and you come to the lovely Shirley Bay. There is new Internet installed in each bath house which made for great connections and high speed at our site. Our only complaint is that the sites don't have sewer, and 50 amps would be nice, but that's a small price to pay for such a lovely campground in a prime location.

Room Tip: Look at the website map to choose the site that meets your needs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Donna B

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We enjoyed this quiet camping location located close to Ottawa off why 417. Sites are large and private, and washrooms are clean. Staff are friendly and very helpful. We love the cycling in Ottawa, and while we chose to drive a few miles and park at Andrew Hadon Park and cycle from there (free parking), you could cycle downtown from the park with a bit more effort!! The bike trails along the Ottawa River are in excellent shape, with terrific scenery. We rode into downtown Ottawa and the Byward Market area several days. We also parked along the Rideau Canal at Dows Lake and enjoyed the trails along the canals on both sides.
Staff are fully bilingual French/English.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RubysMother
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were happy to find a park in the city that opened May 1st. We stayed for 10 days and were well received by staff. The office staff were very helpful and provided excellent customer service. Considering you are right off the 417, the park is very quiet. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lulu M
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have been camping for years. This is by far the worst campsite I have ever stayed at. I am someone who loves nature and enjoys outdoors. Paid for a 30amp water/electric site. It was full of very thick mud so my trailer and truck got completely dirty. Fine I try to park the trailer which is impossible to park far enough from the fire pit so essentially if you have a trailer you can not make a campfire. This is with a normal tent trailer. Not a big rv. As well as this the front of the ppickup truck was sticking out the front of the site so anyone passing on our lane would have to swerve into the ditch opposite side. We decided since it was late that we would set up anyways. We set up and I notice once the trailer is all set that we only have a 15amp with no water. OK fine. We will use only what we need to sleep. I put the heaterfan on minimum with no other electronics or anything and fuse pops. I go pop fuse back and 10 mins later same thing. So I get upset and try to find someone at the front to give us another site which means putting everything back. Not one person in site. Giving the managers apartment door knocks gave us nothing. Trying to call or even driving around looking for anyone! We decided to try without any heating but gave up rather quickly as it went down to 5 degrees that night and didn't have the proper equipment. We decided to try sleeping in the truck and it was too cold in there as well so we had no choice but to leave. We are from outskirts of Montreal and it took us 3 hours to get there as we left after work. I left them numerous messages on our way home as it was coming onto 4am and I was upset. I had to call them back next day even though I had asked THEM to phone me! Spoke with the manager who didn't give a care in the world. Told me they had to refund me by cheque to my home. It is now 3 weeks later and I am still waiting. Gave them ANOTHER call yesterday to know where my cheque was and apparently its sent to their head office. I am tired of this garbage and would advise everyone to really stay away from here... Worst part is the hours of driving and gas I wasted and aswell tthis was a trip to ask my cousin in Ottawa to be a bridesmaid at our wedding and we couldn't do that because of this. We were determined to stay and even with that determination were not able. Service, sites, overall this place is horrible. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank whitedrifter
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Absolutely horrible experience....the drive up was long with three kids that was expected....the service, horrible location and the awful site was not expected. We went camping in Ottawa and thought we would give this place a try for the sheer value. What a mistake. We booked for three nights. the site was small crowded with trees had trouble locating a spot for the tent, the only spot available had rocks all over it. We had the most uncomfortable sleep, my son was in tears by morning. We spent the day at the Canadian Mint and walking around Ottawa but when we came back to our site someone had collapsed part of our tent. We decided to leave, there was no way we wanted to continue in this type of atmosphere. The most rude people work here, I almost can not group them in the catagory of people...when I said I wanted to check out and why she just rolled her eyes at me and walked away like she could not be bothered. When I demanded her attention and stated again we were leaving two days before checkout and asked them to refund my last day as they would have plenty of time to rent out the site again I was told no it was against policy however I was giving MORE then 24 hours noticed. The woman yelled at me and told me she did not have time for my complaints if I did not like it go somewhere else. No customer service skills. Since leaving I have had two people question me about where to stay in Ottawa believe you me....I have directed both FAR away from this joke. Ottawa should be disgusted to have their name associated with this place. NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank NicoleCOshawa
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The Ottawa Municipal Campground rescued our trip to Ottawa! We had booked at another campground that was marketed as being "15 minutes from the Parliament Buildings". When we arrived, it turned out it was actually more like an hour and fifteen minutes. After a quick web search we found OMC. The staff were exceptionally friendly and found us a perfect site. The rates are very reasonable, the sites are wooded, private and level. We were a short walk to the washrooms and playground. The washrooms were clean and included free showers(!) and wifi. There is a shuttle bus that runs three times a week that takes you directly to the lawn of Parliament Hill in time for the changing of the guard. It was very convenient as we travel in a VW Westfalia, which means breaking camp if we want to drive anywhere. The shuttle allowed us to leave our camper setup and have a stress free visit to downtown Ottawa. We stayed late in the city one night and took public transit back. It was no trouble. This is an excellent campground for out of town families looking for an inexpensive place as a base for visiting the city of Ottawa.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank wspears
Reviewed 15 August 2013

As a customer, I have never been so badly treated. I stayed there one night at the beginning of August with my boyfriend and his parents. During the afternoon, three other members of his family joined us on our campsite, planning on staying with us overnight in their tent. They registered as guests and paid the amount due. Around 7pm, an old man (probably the same one mentioned in previous reviews) showed up, and he very angrily asked to see our right. Since most of us are French - and those of us who speak English were in the shower- we didn't understand it right away. The guy went to get an employee who speaks French and she explained to us that guests are not allowed to camp on the site, and that they would either have to sleep with us in the trailer (really?) or leave. We tried to explain to them that it was a misunderstanding, and we offered them to pay the equivalent of an extra campsite so that we could all stay together, them in their tent and us in our trailer, on the same site... That's all the old man needed to start freaking out and saying we were not respecting the campground's policy, and then calling the police. Not wanting to cause more problems, our three "guests" packed up their things and left right away. An hour later, the guy arrived again, together with two policemen and their cars, blinding us with huge spotlights and asking us "where the other ones were" (by the way, they refused to talk to us in French... Funny, I thought we were in the capital of a bilingual country?). So I told them they'd left, but all three of them kept looking around and asking us questions, as if they really thought the other ones were just hidden somewhere... They finally left, after the old man nicely invited us to pack up early the next morning and not to come back again. After having been treated like a criminal for no reason, you can be sure that I will never go back to that place, nor will I recommend it to anyone. Too bad for them, because the site itself is quite pretty and the bilingual employee who greeted us was very nice and helpful. Old man has a lot to learn about customer service and respect. Message aux francophones: assurez-vous que vous serez en mesure de parler au vieil homme en anglais s'il vous le demande, ça vaudra mieux pour vous.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family