“Good, though room was missing blackout blinds”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ottawa Airport
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Seattle, Washington
“Good, though room was missing blackout blinds”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here overnight after visiting some family in the area. The hotel and room itself was clean, the staff were kind and efficient. Both soft and firm pillows were on each of the queen sized beds, and the bathroom included a tub with a higher quality stone tile. The only negative we encountered was with the window fixtures - there were no blackout blinds, and we happened to have a room facing a long term parking lot with bright, stadium-style lighting. Though we did not report it until we were checking out, the staff insisted that the blinds were there as all Holiday Inn Express locations have the exact same window fixtures - we declined to go back to the room and check again, but find it unlikely that both of us would have missed them, especially when we've had no problem locating the blinds at other hotels.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndrewInSeattle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Pembroke, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband was on business last month so we had to stay in this hotel with our 20 month old for 6 nights but it was great. we upgraded to the presidental suite to have extra room for my son to play and nap etc. There was an in suite jacuzzi tub, small kitchen area, 2 flat screen tvs w/seperate large sleeping area with fireplace and seperate living area w/couch, table and chairs, work area etc. The breakfest was free and very good, eggs, eggs/cheese omlettes, bagels, muffins, bacon, sausage, yogurt, cereals, pancakes you make yourself with an easy machine, free coffee all day long, very clean everywhere ie rooms, eating area, halls, pool etc. Parking was lacking and being 7 months pregnant with a 20 month old walking very far to and from the front of the hotel was hard bc the parking area was never cleaned the whole time we were there, plus there was a huge ice/snowstorm making the parking lot terrible. I was parking at the front entrance to go in and out with my son all day but was told to stop. The parking area was my only problem, everything else was great. Helpful and very nice staff, nice hotel and great stay.

4 Thank Jamie J
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I generally hate visiting Ottawa because in hotels in this city are not very good and are generally expensive. So, I chose a purely functional hotel that was well priced - although curiously more expensive than the downtown ICH in Chicago.

The Airport Holiday Inn Express is a very nice functional hotel. The staff are involved and offer to help whenever and wherever they can. The location is close enough to make the airport and the 'city' readily accessible. Did I mention that Ottawa is clearly one of the worst capital cities in the world, defining uncontrolled suburban sprawl? Unfortunately, I have to visit on an semi-annual basis.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel from Saturday to Sunday (Jan. 28/29) and had a pretty good experience. The staff were very friendly and helpful. For example, the bell man (who didn't need to take our luggage since my husband had only one suitcase he could clearly manage), approached us to let us know that if we wanted to, we still had time to catch the Chinese New Year celebrations that were wrapping up in 45 minutes, and was near the hotel.

As we went back and forth from the hotel to do sightseeing, etc. all staff, front desk staff, maids, etc. would always greet us and make eye contact.

The hotel was older but well kept. Our room was very spacious and had two double beds, a couch with a pull out bed and a small kitchenette (no stove). The bathrooms were small but updated with Moen showerhead and granite counter tops. I like that Bath & Body toiletries were included. We didn't try the hotel restaurant but it looked well attended for breakfast. The front desk guy referred us to a great Italian restaurant for dinner, a 2 minute walk from the hotel, called Dantessa's...the food was AMAZING there.

A few cons: There was a noticeable stain on the carpet in the living room area and a forgotten red skittle that was not cleaned up. Also the remote seemed like there was a delay when changing the channel, and the blow dryer only worked for the first 2 mins, then shut off and even though we let it cool down and reset it, it never worked for us again.

This wasn't a 5 star but i'd say the overall experience, location, was pretty good so 4 stars!

2 Thank Nat30
Brockville, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2012

we stayed at this hotel for the park and fly. It is new so it is very well maintained.
It was also very quiet. I would recommend this hotel .

5 Thank CanadaBetty
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I found everything I needed in this hotel. From the warm and friendly front desk staff to the clean and cozy rooms, the ever reliable internet, the hearty breakfast, access to the gym and pool. I enjoyed the hot jacuzzi which was what I needed after a day out in the cold snow. My favorite hotel. One little thing though - the room was sort of on the dim side. I prefer bright rooms as it affects people's moods.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back do not have views. Rooms facing the front have a view of the street.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank fishlover22
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stay in this hotel for one night in order to catch up a very-early morning flight.

There are about 3 airport hotels around the airport and I choose this one mainly because I am a member of Priority Club and it is of reasonable price.

Since I arrived late (about 10pm), I do not try the diner at its restaurant and the fitness center but I have accessed its business center - it's great with good Internet connection and free black-and-white printer available!

The room looks very good with comfortable lightning and a good work desk. Check-in is awesome and both the check-in and the check-out are very efficient.

The only suggestion is that the shuttle be better started at 4:00am ET (just like the other two hotels around the airport) in order to catch up the first flight (like 5:30am/5:45am).

Worth staying in this hotel for transit again!

Room Tip: 1. If you do not rent a car, please remember to call the hotel to pick you up in the airport. The...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business