“Will go again!”

Traveller's Haven Motel
Ranked #51 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My husband and I were delighted to stay in a cabin for a weekend. The room was very clean and tidy and we were provided with ample dishes for the kitchenette and towels for showers. The owner and staff provided top notch service. In fact, the owner had just assembled a brand new BBQ the day we arrived and offered it for our usage when we needed it the next night. When we came back from the function we were attending Saturday morning, we found the new BBQ complete with new utensils on our doorstep. All other staff were quite friendly and helpful. The only little negative aspect was the inability for the bathroom fan to exhaust the humid air from showers. The bathroom mirror and windows stayed fogged up for quite a while. This could be a little problematic in winter if you don't want to open the windows.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Joanne S
TravellersHaven, Owner at Traveller's Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

I wanted to thank you for the nice review. We were glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you and your husband again sometime in the near future. I also wanted to thank you for informing us that your bathroom fan was not working properly. I apologize for that and corrected the problem immediately. No more fogged mirrors :) Have a great day!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Great friendly service. There are plenty of brochures with information to visit the local sites or anything you would like to know about the area. Good price. Best sleep ever in this nice clean queen size bed. Shops & restaurants are just a few miles away. I have no problem with that. The cabin is the best choice. It is quiet and peaceful. There is a large grassy back yard for children to play safely. There is your flat screen tv with lots of stations available, fridge, microwave and let me not forget the air conditioning unit. There is also a large clean shower stall, telephone and alarm clock although you can get a wake up call from the front office.

Obviously I did not verify the reviews for this motel before booking a room. I am glad that I did not. I am shocked to read these negative reviews here now. You cannot possibly be talking about the same Travellers Haven Motel in Ottawa, Ontario. If you were, you should absolutely give this motel another try then because you are missing out.

I will return to this haven whenever I will be in the Ottawa area. Thanks for the experience!

Room Tip: The cabin. Stay in the cabin. There is a picnic table just in front of it. It has a calming effect...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank UBUBlue

I’m very glad to hear you that you had the ‘best sleep ever’ in one of our private cabins. It was only this summer that we renovated every room and private cabin with brand new furniture and beds. We’ve done a lot more upgrades recently including purchasing large screen 42 inch tv’s in our cabins and 37inch in our rooms. Certainly is nice to hear compliments and that you’ll be back one day. I am sorry for only replying to you now but nevertheless, greatly appreciated your feedback.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

The room I stayed in was small, but really all I needed. It had a flat screen tv, fridge and microwave. Everything was very clean and tidy! I usually always pick my motels off tripadvisor and thought I had with this one, but reading the other comments I probably would have avoided it. I'm glad I didn't!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Amoep
TravellersHaven, Owner at Traveller's Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Amoep,

We’re glad to read you enjoyed your stay and we thank you for your comments. If you enjoyed your stay in May 2013, you’ll be even more impressed now with all of our new upgrades including all new furniture and beds in every room as of August 2013.

We look forward to your next stay with us,

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 13 January 2013

SHEETS WERE FULL OF HAIR. We were on the move,it was late midnight and were tired. Desk staff showed us another room, worst than first. We were offered clean sheets, barely cleaner, no hair but heavily stained. We would have left except being after midnight. Would have opted for car if it were warmer. Being old and a little run down is one thing, being dirty is another thing completely. Two lamps in the room, on bulb, it has never been dusted. Oh, one final thing, the internet is not available in all rooms as promised. Poor signal, unable to connect using phone and two laptops. Not quite sure if the room rates being the worst room ever, too close to call. Lesson learned, never stay anywhere without reading the reviews.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Scotian25

Dear Scotian25,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments as we take these very serious and appreciate your feedback. While 2013 has been a busy year for us with renovations, purchasing all new furniture, all new beds and installing better wireless internet connections, I was surprised and disappointed of course to read that there was hair on your sheets. I am sorry for that. I promise you all linen is always washed daily by our staff but nevertheless, due to a substantial increase in our business since our renovations, we decided this summer to sub contract all of our linen out to an independent laundry firm. We hope that the next time you’re in Ottawa, you give us another try and witness firsthand all of our recent upgrades. I'd also like to add that I apologize for the delay in answering your comment, I have no excuse for that but will try and make it up to you in your next stay should you ever decide to give us another try sometime.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 13 May 2012

What a great find, right off the main route into Ottawa, fast to get in and out of. Yes, its old and a bit run down, but thats the charm of a roadside motel. The staff are very warm and inviting. Nothing bad to say about this place, its the place when you need a spot late in the night and don't want to have to get the same old run-around from the bigger hotels...

Room Tip: Try the cabins, right next to the river.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank WJMorrow
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Were it not for the fact that it was 2am and I needed to get off the road to sleep, I would have instead slept in my car. For $100 (taxes), you'll get muddy carpets, damaged walls, rusted out fridges and baseboard heaters and a complimentary bottle of water because the water is undrinkable due to the high levels of salt. The bed was decent, but I avoided everything else. Told the front desk that I was not happy and the best they could do is tell me they would tell management. Avoid if you can. Your car is a better alternative.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Zacatti
TravellersHaven, Owner at Traveller's Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Mr. Zacatti,

I’m embarrassed and truly apologize for your unpleasant stay not to mention my inexcusable delay in my response time to you. Obviously, things needed changing and actions do speak louder than words, so let me explain what’s been done since your last stay.

All rooms and private cabins have since been renovated, along with ALL new furniture and beds in each and every room and private cabin as of August/2013. As far as the high levels of salt in our water, while it’s always been completely safe and tested monthly as per the Ministry of Ontario water act, we decided it was time to take a chance on a new well and I have to say, we hit the jackpot with the results of the water analysis by an Ottawa water testing company that’s licensed by Ontario’s MOE for specific tests in drinking water. Mr. Zacatti, we obviously value your comments, as they did ,contribute to us taking a chance on a new well , (after 26 years in operation) which is up and running as of this month. (We still however provide a bottled water in every room for customer convenience, as well as complimentary fresh coffee and muffins in the morning)

To show our appreciation of your comments, should you ever find yourself in the Ottawa area again, the staff and I would like to offer you a complimentary one night stay for you to experience all of our new upgrades.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed 2 June 2010

Only thing good about this hotel, was that the staff were friendly (not knowledgeable of the area mind you) but friendly. Rooms smell of smoke and are musty/moldy. Carpets are extremely stained. Windows in rooms did not lock! Walls had stains on them that I'd rather not make assumptions as to what they were. I was afraid to let our children walk on the floor without shoes on. The only reason we stayed here was because there was not another room available (big Marathon weekend in the city of Ottawa) anywhere in the city! Hate to leave negative comments, but we will never stay here again. Oh lastly, they told us the pool was open, but it was not even filled with water.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank WaryTraveller001

Dear Wary Traveller001,

I apologize in every way,…..from your unpleasant stay to my unacceptable response time of your review. Your appreciated comments caused me to renovate each and every room and private cabin, including buying ALL new furniture and beds for each and every room and private cabin that arrived only weeks ago. We’ve also recently converted ALL of our rooms and private cabins to NON SMOKING ONLY. Just this week we connected the motel to a newly drilled water source of which the water quality is excellent. Unfortunately our pool is not yet open, but we do plan on re-opening it next summer, providing there are no unforeseen problems.

On a positive note, all of our rooms now have large flat screen tv’s , 37 and 42 inch, free wifi and we still have the same friendly staff that in fact would like to offer you a complimentary 1 night stay should you ever decide to give us another try.

Have a great day!