“Great Ottawa Soul Food!”
Review of Jean Alberts - CLOSED

Jean Alberts
Price range: US$14 - US$18
Cuisines: Southwestern
Ottawa, Ontario
“Great Ottawa Soul Food!”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

A great little place (Lyon & Somerset location)

Delicious food, excellent service and an overall great experience!
Everything was so fresh and had so much flavor.

“Authentic and home-style”
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We went to Jean Albert's recently, and after having been in the Carolinas and Georgia in the past month, can say their food is authentic and really delicious. It is more like what you would make at home if you were lucky enough to grow up eating this type of cuisine. We had the chicken and waffle, with a cornmeal waffle. Well, that thing would take down a horse, it is dense and delish. We had the sweet water cornbread (tasty), baked beans (good side), and I had the pulled pork, which was done up just right with slaw on the bun. It does have sauce on it, just a bit more Carolina style than Texas! We went with a Groupon, and we will be going back without one. It is great value, great service, and fine sweet tea.

• Visited November 2011
Ottawa, Canada
“Really wanted to like this place”
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I was very exicited to see a soul food place going in. It really just wasn't that great. The pulled pork had no bbq sauce... despite the server insisting that there was sauce on it (weird). And they charge for extra BBQ... what kind of BBQ restaurant charges for barbeque sauce.

Both times I went the food was cold. The ribs were not great, little meat on them and kind of dry. Not terrible but I could make better ones at home.

Side dishes were mediocre at best. Plus it is too expensive what what they are serving up.

Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“Loved my food, not the awkwardness....”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

This was my second trip to Soul Food with my husband. We LOVED it when we went before. Leroy stayed open a little later and served us amazing chicken and waffles.

This time, the server was his wife I believe. She was friendly enough, but had a condescending tone in her voice the whole time and made eye contact/spoke only to my husband. When we were finished, we heard her on the phone to someone who had applied for a job where she spoke to them so rudely it made me feel embarassed. Sure, provide feedback to the person who missed their interview, but to do so, so loudly and rudely in front of your dining room? After this, an employee walked away and asked him how his night went, and from their they had a talk in front of everyone about how he didnt want to talk to about it right then, and she pushed him to say he was giving his two weeks notice. He left, and we were going to pay and get out of there when she called her husband to tell him what happened. She then went outside (presumably to follow the employee?) and came back. We paid and left when she returned, but before that we were left awkwardly waiting to pay and leave.

I hate to write this review, but I am writing it because I really love Soul Food, and want them to take notice of this unprofessionalism because I have read other reviews about her swearing and chastising employees in front of diners and I think this is hurting their business. If you must speak to staff in ANY sort of negative way, do NOT do so within earshot of guests. We come to your restaurant to feel comfortable and at ease eating wholesome home cooked food, but we dont necessarily need to feel like we are part of a dysfunctional family dinner.

Again, I want this restaurant to be around for a long time to come, so I hope they take notice and make some changes.

We will be back.

Ottawa, Canada
“Great concept, mediocre execution”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I went to Jean Albert's tonight with the recent Groupon. I brought my 4 year-old son.

We started with the lemonade - his straight lemonade, mine with a tequila add-on. Both were great, but the boozy version was pretty steep at $7.50. The cornbread is delicious. The waitress was fabulous - just the right amount of attentiveness and a really great disposition.

For the main I had the chicken and waffles. It was...alright. The chicken was good, but the waffle was really heavy and almost undercooked. My son had the kids' mac and cheese. It was dry and not very flavourful.

In addition, I wouldn't recommend you go there if you're in a hurry. The dining room seats maybe 30 people but there's only one server. She did a great job but the kitchen is slow getting food out.

I might try this place for lunch sometime because they have a pulled pork sandwich on the lunch (but not dinner) menu, but I'm not sure I'd go back for dinner.