Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West - Nepean
Ranked #38 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Barrie, Ontario
“Lovely Hotels”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We only stayed for a very short period, but we were quite impressed with the hotel. It's obvious that this hotel is either brand new, or recently renovated. The lobby was impressive, and the rooms were very clean and spacious. The only slight issue we had was that we had an adjoining room with people we didn't know and noise travelled between the two rooms very easily. They were watching TV very loudly, very late at night. Though this is not the fault of the hotel, it did put a damper on our stay. We did not have the breakfast so I cannot comment on that.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
HIEOttawawest, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West - Nepean, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear mrswhale!

Thank you kindly for your feedback on our hotel. We are indeed a new property as of summer 2010. I am pleased that you mentioned the modern look of the lobby and cleanliness of the rooms. With regards to your comment on adjoining rooms, I apologize for disturbance coming from the room beside. This type of room is usually very popular among families and groups travelling together. When you decide to make your next reservation with our property, simply mention to the Front Desk agent that you would prefer a quiet location and we will make sure a proper room type is offered.

Thank you again for your positive reply.

Anna Kamsha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We spent six nights at this hotel visiting a new grand child in Napeam. With a car it is an excellent base to see the city as the road system is very good and Napeam is a quiet place to be based. Car parking next to the hotel is free of charge.It is also next door to a large Loblaws supermarket.
Hotel has friendly efficient staff. Room was very comfortable with good storage space for our clothes. Bed was amazingly soft with normal Holiday Inn choice of pillows.
Only lack was a room safe which as international travellers we value as a safe store for our travel documents.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Vincent W!

Thank you for your great feedback on our Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Ottawa West. I am pleased to know you enjoyed the location of our hotel and all that it has to offer. I especially appreciate you mentioning friendliness and efficiency of our staff as well as cleanliness and spaciousness of the rooms.

We hope to see you in our hotel many more times whenever your trips bring you to Ottawa!

Anna Kamsha
Deep River, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Room was very nice and clean. Good up dated decor - no complaints at all. Breakfast was normal good standard from Holiday Inn. Nearly had a complaint - at about 2:30 in the morning was awoken by 2 very drunk guys loudly cursing up and down the corridor and, when going outside for a smoke, were still loud enough to keep us awake. We phoned down to the front desk and was told that they would have a "stern word" with the 2 guys. I've got to say that both my wife and I said "Yeah, a stern word - like that's going to do anything". I have no idea what the front desk guy said to the two drunks but whatever it was, when we heard them coming back up the corridor, we looked through the spy hole and saw the drunk guys literally tip-toeing back to their rooms. One of them started mumbling but the other guy quickly said "don't speak!!" Never heard another squeak all night. We did not get a chance to personally thank the front desk guy but, whoever you are, you rock!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
express4545, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West - Nepean, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Good day Andy B.
This review ROCKS!!!
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West-Nepean. We have shared your review with all of our guest services team and the front desk agent you mentioned. All reviews are shared with our team as an opportunity to celebrate our successes and to learn when we may fall short. This was definitely a success. We look forward to having the opportunity to host you in the near future.

Warmest regards,
Darren Ryan
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West-Nepean
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed at this location on business for three nights. Upon checkin I was helped by a woman who could hardly speak English. In addition to this, I could clearly hear other staff members speaking a foreign language from behind the counter. I found this extremely unprofessional and annoying from a guest's perspective. We live in Canada and when I enter an establishment I expect to be helped by someone who can speak English and/or French fluently.

As the woman was checking me in, another clerk interrupted and asked me if I would like to join their loyalty program. I immediately told him I was uninterested but he insisted and handed me a form to fill out. This is completely unacceptable. When I'm checking in to a hotel I do not want to be badgered by a clerk trying to make his quota. Especially when I've already told him I'm uninterested.

The room was modern and very clean, as it should be for the price I paid. In conclusion I would not stay here again simply for the service I experienced.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West - Nepean, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Allen M,

Thank you for your staying with us and for bringing this to our attention. We are very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We would like to address your experience further, and have sent you an email with additional details.

Thank you again for your comments and for staying with us.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

A very nice Holiday Inn Express, in fact, one of the nicest I’ve seen of the brand (properties do vary considerably). This is remarkable because this location is fairly new, yet it still shows better than many others of it’s ‘vintage’. I was upgraded to the suite, which was impressive with it’s nicer modern furnishing and finishes. Every other aspect of the hotel was trouble-free.- 7/10

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
express4545, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West - Nepean, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Good day Bensagle.
Thank you for the good review for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West-Nepean. We really appreciate you choosing to stay with us and value any comments or concerns that will allow us to deliver a great experience for your next stay.

We will continue to work hard on maintaining the look and feel of the hotel.

Darren
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We were shocked to learn that people who booked through our hockey team were not able to get the CAA discount. You actually have to pay a premium if you go through a sports team, as the organizers of the Capital Hockey Tournament apparently make you choose from certain hotels, and there is an intermediary, who gets a commission. The only way that party members can get the CAA discount is to actually cancel the reservation they have with the sports team, and re-book with CAA. Bu the savings are well worth it. Through the hockey team it would cost $159 plus tax; with CAA it would cost only $122 plus tax. So for two days, that is a $74 savings. However, the hotel refused to accord this discount to other members of the sports team, and even embarrassed me by telling me at check out that they were not going to be able to give other members a discount. Why the fellow did this (Peder), I do not know.

The rooms were very clean and the facilities are new. However, every time the heat came on, the noisy fan went off in the bedroom. We were in a suite with a hide-a- bed. Although the hotel knew we had a reservation with young children, the hide-a-bed was not ready (no sheets, no bedding) when we checked in around 10:30 pm or so). Also, even though the hotel was new, the plug on the bath was broken. So the maintenance guy had quite a bit of running around to do in the middle of the night before we were able to bathe the kids and get them to bed. Fortunately, he was a total sweetheart and very sympathetic, having young children of his own, but it was stressful hearing him getting paged to run off and take care of other "emergencies".

For some reason, there was a security guard stationed RIGHT OUTSIDE our door. I asked him why, and he explained it was because of the hockey teams, and fear of noise. Some other floors may have been noisy in terms of loud guests, but ours was pretty quiet. It was pretty awkward to have a stranger stationed literally in front of our door, sitting on a chair, on his lap-top. the whole night. He explained he was right outside our room as it was supposedly in the middle, but the truth is, he could have sat by the elevators further away, which would have still allowed for supervision. It was rather uncomfortable to have him right there, watching our comings and goings and hearing every word and goings-on in our room. A bit too weird.

My husband and one son slept on the hide-a-bed in the living room area. My husband complained that the hide-a-bed was very lumpy and that he could feel all the coils, which is a major fail considering just how new the hotel is. The hide-a-beds should still be pretty comfortable. Also, on the side of the living room, my son complained that he nary slept a wink because it was very loud every time anybody flushed the toilet on the other floors. So, there was a noise problem from the toilet in the living room area (but not on the bedroom side).

Breakfast is included for all and was quite delicious, although the ladies taking care of service could have been a bit more cheerful.

The pool and hot tub are nice, but quite small in comparison to the pictures. Only 10 people are allowed in the pool or on deck at any time, if this gives you an idea....

Faced with the problems we had we decided to cut our stay short and leave after one night. I tried to call the front desk to verify what time the check out was, but despite calling repeatedly, fell on voice mail. (We also needed more conditioner and shampoo after the kids took a swim in the morning, which we just decided to forgo, as if we would have waited for anyone to respond, it would have taken way too long and I am sure we would have missed the check-out time). I think we really lucked out to get out just before noon, which is the official check out time, as the fellow at the counter even told me that we were lucky to be still before noon, so we would only get charged the one night. (I would be pretty upset if after trying to get hold of the front desk, getting voice mail repeatedly, they tried to charge us anything extra).

Now, I can fully understand that with the Atom Hockey tournament going on at the Sensplex, the staff at the hotel was busy. But seriously, the hotel had reservations and knew how many guests they were having. Surely at least at peak hours, it should arrange to have the requisite staff to take care of its guests?

Room Tip: The rooms with suites are really separate from bedrooms, so not good if you have young children who...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West - Nepean, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear F M,

Regards,

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Recently stayed at this location when we were in town to visit some friends and do some shopping. The location is on the west side of Ottawa and just a few minutes south of the Kanata Holiday Inn Express that is twice the price. The room was clean, the bed was extremely comfortable and although there appeared to be other guests around us we heard little to no noise while in our room. The hotel had a saline pool and a hot tub, which was one of the main reasons why we had chosen this location. Our daughter enjoyed it, although it was colder than the pools we typically take her to at at our local YMCA. The breakfast was excellent in the morning and the woman looking after it was constantly clearing dishes and restocking when needed. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for reasonably priced accommodation just outside the downtown core. I will be returning to this location in a few months for business and I look forward to my stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family