“Something for everyone”

and up
Ottawa City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #1 of 267 things to do in Ottawa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Canadian War Museum is more than a museum that is internationally renowned for its symbolic architecture; it is synonym for inspiring and touching stories. Canada's rich military history is showcased through personal stories, artwork, photographs and interactive presentations. Tour the extensive permanent exhibitions and expand your knowledge of the conflicts that shaped Canada, Canadians and the world, as well as the roll Canadians played in them.
Elmira, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Something for everyone”
Reviewed 26 November 2010

Whether you want to learn Canadian history, relive the past or just see some bigass tanks, the war museum will help you do all of those things. You can go at a leisurely pace and take in all the information and videos, or those with lesser attention spans can just enjoy the exhibits. Make sure you go downstairs at the end and experience the big room full of military vehicles. I almost skipped past it, but luckily I had noticed it from a room upstairs earlier so I made sure to try and find it.

3 Thank The_Fridge99

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Very interesting museum”
Reviewed 16 November 2010

The Canadian War Museum is located in an old massive building a bit off the other main attractions of Ottawa. The building is very impressive and offers enough space for the big exhibitions and the 'LeBreton Gallery' which showed several tanks and all kind of vehicles used during past warfares. The whole architecture really matches the idea of the museum and what it deals with.

The exhibitions were very interesting and beared information for many different topics concerning war. You can really learn a lot in this museum since the presentation is very good. The text is provided with real life and human size models (such as a World War I trench) or antique outfits and weapons. It is a very informative museum about a dark chapter of mankind.

3 Thank sirtakyi
virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“I'll Go Again”
Reviewed 17 October 2010

The first time I visited my kids were with me. They enjoyed the exhibits and I enjoyed explaining things to them.
The second time I was there with only my husband and we enjoyed it again but in a different way.
Both times there were special activities in the front exhibits.

1 Thank intheburbs
Washington DC
241 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 254 helpful votes
“An excellent way to learn Canadian War Museum”
Reviewed 24 August 2010

As an American visiting Canada I really enjoyed the museum. For the most part American military history significantly overlaps with Canada's but I still learned a lot. Canada didn't fight in Vietnam, but they had an entirely different issue in South Africa that I had known nothing about.

The special exhibit on camoflauge was also very interesting. There was a nice photo opportunity with camo jackets and a jungle background. Throughout the museum there were several great places for fun photos in addition to the interesting historical information, especially the full sized trench. The building is even shaped like a plane!

I'd highly recommend a stop here, but I agree with other commenters that it is a bit further from the downtown core than other attractions and I would recommend taking the bus or a cab in at least one direction.

3 Thank hdempsey
mid atlantic
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Wonderful, detailed and well laid out establishment.”
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I highly suggest a visit to this museum if you are interested in History and war. Be forewarned that walking there from the Parliment Hill area is about 2 KM or over 2 miles away so take your car, cab or the nearest transit system.
My family and I made the mistake of walking it and with 3 small ones it was tough.

As an American I truly appreciated the education on various wars fought that I was not familiar with but also took a keen interest on how the Canadians viewed WW1 and WW2. The wording was fascinating on the displays.
There is a clean place to eat and bathrooms are clean as well.
You can borrow wheelchairs and strollers from coat check area.

We were there for several hours and there are interactive displays which the children enjoyed. I would go again if i had the chance. There was so much that I probably missed something indeed.

1 Thank Midatlanticmom3