“Perfect place for strolling!”
Review of ByWard Market

and up
Ottawa City Tour by Land and Water
Ranked #1 of 22 Food & Drink in Ottawa
More attraction details
Owner description: WITHIN an area roughly four blocks square, you'll find museums, cafes, specialty food shops, boutiques, galleries, restaurants, pubs, hair & aesthetics salons and more! Easily accessible on foot, by transit or by car, the ByWard Market offers a unique experience for all. ESTABLISHED by Lt-Col. John By in 1826, the ByWard Market is one of Canada's oldest and largest public markets. The legendary builder of the Rideau Canal, Colonel By himself laid out the street plan of the Market, designating George Street and York Street to be extra wide to accommodate the creation of a public market and gathering place.
Taipei, Taiwan
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Perfect place for strolling!”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

ByWard Market was smaller than I expected, yet still lots to see. They sell varieties of things from leather jacket to fresh vegetables. People from the market were very friendly! I bought maple butter from one of the booth, and the boy even talked to me in Japanese. He picked up some Japanese from tourists. It was sort of a nice surprise.

There were also nice café, home décor shops, boutiques around the market. Definitely a nice place to stroll around.

Visited November 2012

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beavertails”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

It was good enough for Obama, and when we got to ByWard Market, Beavertails was the first place on my list to go. Unfortunately it was not the first thing on my wifes list, so I had to wait 20 minutes, but we got there eventually. We even made two trips to the Market (Beavertails stand).

Ottawa, Ontario Canada
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Make Time for the Byward Market.”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

What can I say? This is one of my favourite places in all of Ottawa. A thriving community with food stalls, restaurants, artisans and the nicest people you will ever meet. Be sure to visit through out the year. It is like stepping back in time.

Visited September 2013
Sainte-Marthe, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Lots of food”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were in the ByWard market during our stay in Ottawa. We enjoyed the fact that there were so many choices of restaurants. We even had trouble deciding where to eat. It is great to have so many choices.

Pico Rivera, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Overrated and crowded”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I wasn't impressed with Byward. I had heard from many people that I just had to check it out. I suppose the best thing about Byward is the beavertail stand. Everything else was crowded and overpriced. Restaurants were all packed and the expensive furniture stores seemed a little out of place for a cool downtown market. There are vendors on the streets, however, be prepared to inch your way through at a snails pace because its way too crowded. Byward isn't on my list of places to return....unless of course it's for a piece of tail (beavertail that is)

1 Thank Wandering B