“Truly amazing place!”

Barefoot Hostel
Toronto, Canada
“Truly amazing place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I've stayed in quite a few hostels and nowhere compares to this place. It is really beautiful! It feels like you're staying in a personal home that has been well taken care of.

The shower alone is worth the stay. It has TV and internet downstairs, living room and kitchen as well. Dorms are really small but very comfy.

You have to check in next door at Swiss Hotel and you MUST have a credit card to do so.

If I ever come back to Ottawa I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There are only a couple rooms so it doesn't matter.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

My friend and I have been travelling through America and Canada for 3 weeks now & this is easily the best hostel in which we have stayed. It is in a great location, is managed by extremely friendly & personable staff and the facilities are remarkable for that of a hostel.

The common areas remind me of home with a large TV, DVD player and tables as well as books for reading & tea and coffee making facilities.

Highly highly recommend!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in October 2013. It's a great little hostel. It's small (4 rooms of 4 people) so there is only 16 people maximum at all times. I had a great time staying here. Check in is next door at the Swiss Hostel. The owner Sabina is the loveliest lady. She was so helpful with giving me tips & recommendations on things to do and where to eat. This is far from a party hostel but if like me you're lucky enough to get a great bunch of people staying, there are countless numbers of bars and pubs all within 5 mins walking to go to. (We especially loved Pub 101 on a Thursday).
The wifi signal is strong, and also provides 2 computers for free usage. As the name states, you remove your shoes at the front door. It kept the hostel clean and also reduced noise on the hardwood floors. I liked this idea. Power points and shelf on your bed and reading light also. Lockers in room were large and clean. Even though I never felt unsafe there are no locks on bedroom doors, So i recommend locking away valuables so bring your own lock.
The bedrooms are small and are all mixed dorms. It is a little uncomfortable with 4 bodies in there and 4 sets of luggage there is not a lot of room to move. There is however a large common area downstairs to socialise in so no need to stay in your room! The kitchen is basic but very clean. No cooking facilities which is a bit of a negative. For me, I like to eat out and there is so many options close by so I was not bothered. This may be a negative for money conscious travellers though.
There are 2 communal bathrooms. One upstairs and one downstairs. Downstairs is a separate toilet and and shower room, upstairs is large and all in one room. The upstairs shower is AMAZING. It is so large you could easily fit 5 people in there (not that it's needed, but still it's amazing) the shower pressure and temperature and great and it's immaculately clean (a big thing for me with communal showers in hostels). I never had to wait long to use the bathroom but I could see this might be an issue if the hostel was full of 16 people.
The beds are really comfortable and the duvet is the comfiest blanket I have ever slept with! Can only imagine how much that would be appreciated on cold winter nights!
Overall this is one of the nicest hostels I stayed in. It was cozy and comfortable and reminded me of being at home. It's location is perfect close to Byward market and all other tourist attractions. No hesitations recommending to anyone to stay here,

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. 4 beds. I guess the room next to the shower might be annoying.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ZoeR17
Ballarat, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The title of this review really sums up my experience at this hostel. It was fairly quiet when I was there (one night there was only 4 of us) which always improves a hostel experience, as you don't have to ever wait for the bathroom! Comfy common area and the free use computers was a real treat. Great location. 3 min to a large supermarket and 5 min to a tonne of restaurants and maybe a 10 min walk to Parliament House. Kitchen was pretty small, so if the hostel was full, and everyone decided to cook, it would get a bit crazy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Misty3272
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed here after a very tiring and jetlagged experience in Toronto. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The hostel is cleaned daily, the downstairs area is awesome for having a few beers and outside is perfect for a lazy afternoon before heading out to town. The manager is above and beyond accommodating. If you find yourself in Ottawa you better find yourself the Barefoot Hostel as I can guarantee you'll have a good time.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lachlan W
Trenton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Seeing as I was a total pain in the butt..
I had booked a 3-day stay three months in advance but had to cancel as I had to break my planned week-long trip into two separate trips. The cancellation was handled very quickly. I rebooked for one night, not realizing check-in ended at 11, and only realized this the day of my stay (my bus arrived in Ottawa at midnight). The man at the front desk (you check in next door at the Swiss Hotel) agreed to stay an extra hour and a half just to check me in. This just blew me away, what customer service. He was very pleasant once I made it there, too.. I wouldn't be!

The hostel itself is clean and modern. It really is like you're staying in someone's renovated home. The common room downstairs is bright, has a flat screen TV and comfortable couches. The room I stayed in was small, but functional. I was the only one in the room that night, so I can't speak of how crowded it might be with a full room. The beds were amazing, too - and the duvets! I can't wait to stay in the winter so I can actually use them.

I will stay again for sure and highly recommend to anyone who needs to crash in the Capital.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lindsey W
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed at this hostel in the summer of 2013 for two nights. Overall, it was the cleanest hostel I've even been to. Everything look very well maintained and the host was very friendly. Bedsheets and towels looked like they were frequently washed as well. Lockers are available for each guest, but you have to bring your own padlock. The beds themselves are a bit small, but were otherwise comfortable. Each bed has its own night lamp as well, which was very considerate.

The washroom on the 2nd floor in particular is a highlight. It's massive with a large shower, and the host has provided a hair dryer, travel-sized bottles of shampoo & soap, as well as towels (which seemed to be replaced often).

On the main floor, there are two additional washrooms (1 additional shower) with a large open-concept lounge area. Huge television with host-provided DVDs and a dining table right next to it. The host was nice enough to leave a bunch of brochures, maps, and even pizza delivery numbers in that area as well.

It should be noted as well that the host is actually located in the adjacent building (Swiss Hotel), so you'll have to go next door to check in or out. It's only 20 or so paces away, so it's not a big deal.

My experience at the Barefoot was excellent, and I don't see myself staying anywhere else when visiting Ottawa in the future.

Room Tip: There are lockers available, although they are only large enough to fit a backpack. Be sure to bring...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo