“All good!”

Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 July 2014

There is nothing bad to say about Victoria Park Suites. Great location - 15 minute walk to Parliment Hill and Confederation Park and just a few minutes stroll to many fine eateries on Elgin and Bank streets. Great room - private bedroom with comfortable king bed. Two flat screens in suite. Great breakfast - complimentary hot and cold breakfast.There was construction on Gladstone street, right at the hotel, but it did not interfere pr inconvience our stay. We stayed for four nights over Canada Day and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
VictoriaParkSuites, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Derek P,

Wow! I was thrilled to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us over Canada Day and that you will be back! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences and look forward to welcoming you back!

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Ottawa Downtown Suites

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Arrived by taxi from train station about 10 minutes drive to the hotel to be met by road construction just outside the hotel. Entered reception to be greeted by Gitano who was so friendly and professional.Very welcoming. Al the staff were very friendly and always greeted us when entering and leaving the hotel. He offered us an upgrade from the double queen bedded room we had booked.. He told us that if we weren't happy we could change back. Probably would be better away from the road works.
Suite 201 - Entered into the main sitting room area - very spacious bright welcoming. Informed that the room had been recently upgraded. Sofa bed with memory foam mattress. Kitchenette - with fridge, microwave, cupboards with ware , glasses, cutlery . Tea / coffee maker and requisites for same. Wardrobe space , writing desk and armchair. Bathroom - with bath/ shower very well decorated. and a single bedroom with queen bed wardrobe with safe own tv..Free wifi
Made ourselves at home instantly. sofa bed so comfortable to sleep on. Noise from road works didnt bother us .Housekeeping knocked on our door early 8am on the weekdays and at 9am on weekend - very friendly and helpful
Breakfast from 6.30 to 9.30 weekdays and 7.30 to 10.30 at weekends. Breakfast I had seen described as continental so was not expecting much - very surprised. Deluxe Continental - Fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals x3 choices, and oatmeal. Breads several types - toaster, cakes, hard boiled eggs, hot buffet section varied each day, butters jams, a variety of teas, coffee and juices. Outdoor area for breakfast also.
Also a little shop at reception for drinks snacks etc. Took advantage of the sauna after a days walking.
about 15 minutes walk to parliament hill and rideau locks .lovely stroll alonhg bank street or elgin street. No restaurant in hotel but lots of restaurants to choose from on Elgin street two blocks away or Bank Street one block away.
Supermarket - Hartmanns with wine shop on Bank Street or opposite direction to Loblaws on Isabella Street, which has LBCO next door.. both a about a 9 minute walks. Canadian museum of nature next block amazing building and lovely neighbourhood to stroll in. Locals so friendly and stopped to chat to us and met one lady later in supermarket and she remembered us and suggested a wine to taste. Overall wonderful stay and hope to return

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cumba68

Dear cumba68,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Trip Advisor community! Your thorough review will allow guests to make an informed decision on where to stay in Ottawa and we really appreciate that.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your suite and that Gitano was so accomodating for you as well as the rest of the staff

It was great to read that the locals in the neighborhood were so friendly to you as well and they were able to suggest wines for you!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and appreciate your loyalty.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We booked this hotel strictly because we were trying to get enough BW stays to qualify for the current promotion of staying 3 times to earn a free night. It was not the most convenient hotel for our purposes, and there was street construction around the hotel making getting there a bit difficult, but when we arrived, we were certainly glad to be staying there. We had a lovely suite which consisted of a nice bedroom and a kitchenette combined with a living room and work\eating table. We had a mini fridge and microwave so this would have been ideal for a longer stay than our 2 nights. The unit was clean and well appointed. We had a corner unit on the second floor and it was extremely quiet. We had no view to speak of as both windows looked out onto a cement wall\balcony structure. Because of this, the unit was a bit dark as not much light could get in. We weren't in the room much during the day, so it wasn't a problem. I must say, the AC in this room was the best I've ever had in any hotel with regard to cooling power and room control. It was easily adjusted and completely cooled the room down. The breakfast room was nice and big and even had a few tables out on an outdoor patio for nice days and even a couple of tables in the hallway for overflow. The choices were wide and good. They had hot items and cold and there was nothing that I wanted for that wasn't available. It was replenished frequently and taste and temperature were good. We did have a small issue upon checkout in that we booked the name under my name and my BW rewards account to ensure we got credited for our stay, however, we asked for the bill to be in my husband's name as he was traveling on business and would be claiming the hotel as a travel expense. Who knew this would cause such a problem. The name got changed, however we will have to wait and see if we lose the room credit on my BW rewards. Parking was also a bit limited and quite pricey at $18.95\day, but I'm sure that is consistent with the downtown Ottawa area. All in all, we were very pleased with our stay and would certainly recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Get a room above the second floor to ensure a better view and brighter room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Katrina W

Dear Katrina W,

Thank you very much for your recent review of your stay with us. We very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed all aspects of the room, A/C and breakfast. I'm sorry that the room you were given did not have the best view. Please feel free to mention this on your next visit and we will be sure to assign you to a room higher up with more natural light.

As for your Best Western Rewards membership and your points unfortunately the room does need to be registered to the card holder or the points would not apply to that reservation.
Please feel free to discuss this with us on your next vist and perhaps there is something we might be able to do for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Good size rooms. Can be noisy, particularly on the north side with the road. Fast internet. Included breakfast is ok for a day or two. Interior design is quirky, but very functional. I've stayed here many times on business and find it generally to be average value. I stay in other hotels on roughly half my frequent trips to Ottawa, because they offer better value. This is the only hotel I know of on the south end of downtown, so that is convenient if you are headed to that area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear 777flyer,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us in Ottawa. We very much appreciate feedback. I'm sorry that you experience disturbances from the road construction next door but that it did not impact too heavily on your stay. We try and mitigate that noise as much as possible through room assignment etc but it's not always possible.

I was sorry to read that you found our hotel to not offer the best value for your stay. I would be pleased to discuss this further with you at your convenience. I can be reached via email at andrew@victoriapark.com or by phone at 613-567-7275. We are always open to suggestions and welcome ideas.

Hopefully we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We booked this place after reading reviews on tripadvisor.
The hotel 15 min walk from Parliament hill and is an ideal location for anyone wanting to visit Ottawa for Canada day. The premises is clean and the staff is very friendly. Free breakfast and Wi Fi was a great things to have. Ottawa is a great city to explore on bikes. most of the roads have dedicated bike lanes. Most of the attractions close enough to be accessed by bikes. The hotel also has bike racks so parking is not a problem. Will surely prefer staying here on our next visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sifar B,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your feedback.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed our hotel and the neighborhood on Canada Day! We really are a gem on Canada Day being in a relatively quiet neighborhood but still a short commute to all the main attractions!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Ottawa!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Hectic schedule, looking for comfort and convenience. Found both in this hotel as I met my family there coming from another business trip. Was able to do both and this is important when you are away frequently.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Shawn C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Victoria Park Suites on your recent visit to Ottawa.We very much appreciate your feedback.

I'm was happy to hear that our hotel worked for both your business and leisure needs and that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I researched all the hotels in Ottawa downtown on tripadvisor before going and then decided on the Best Western Victoria Suites even with a few reservations about what others had said.
A few things to point out that some may have commented on that I just wanted to clarify.

Parking - Yes you have two options - one is to park in their underground lot at about $18.95 a day or you can park down the road a few blocks and park above ground for I think she said $12.95 a day. We opted to park underground even though we drive a Chevy Avalanche which we were unsure about the size of the lot as some had said only 6 foot vehicles. We fit in the lot (even though it was a bit close -- I just got out of the truck to ensure as the space was tight.. but we fit) Once we got down we noticed that there was a Navigator and a Ford F150 so I am not sure why people were complaining about the size.. I guess if you drive a Hummer you may not be able to fit but besides that :) It definitely depends on your comfort level but you can fit. Also the cost of parking is a lot - but from my research it was the same or less $$ than other parking in the area at hotels and many of those a) weren't underground and b) you couldn't leave once you parked or they weren't even on the hotel property. So I just swallowed the price.

Hotel - The hotel was very clean, and the staff were always super helpful. Our room was a perfect size and we loved the little kitchenette that you get. Ice machine is on the basement floor but they have ziploc baggies of ice you can get for free at the main desk. The worst part was that the housekeeping people came to our room every morning at 8:30am.. it was WAY too early we felt for housekeeping to be knocking on doors. I realize that many get up early but being on vacation and breakfast not served til 9:30 it was startling to be woken up to housekeeping, it was the only draw back we really had. Also housekeeping "tidied" up my things which was ok I just have never had any housekeeping actually touch my stuff before and then noticed that they threw out a chocolate bar from beside my bed. We solved these issues by putting the "do not disturb" sign on the door every night and just took it off when we left for breakfast and ensured our stuff was off the bedside table the next day. Beds and pillows were comfortable and bathroom was clean.

Breakfast- We were really looking for a place that included breakfast because really why not.. The two out of three mornings we went for breakfast there the staff were working really hard to ensure that fresh food was constantly coming out once empty. It was really busy though so one of us had to sit with the table while the other went and got breakfast. They had eggs, bacon, cheese and english muffins to make an egg mcmuffin - or whatever you wanted - plus bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, etc. It was really good. If you do go to the hotel remember to be patient while waiting.. a few visitors were really rude and would jump in front or reach over to grab something - there was enough for everyone so I am not sure the reason for this :)

Location - The hotel is SUPER close to the Museum of Nature - we could see it from our window. Parliament is about 10 minute walk - we walked there the first night and was actually a nice walk. We brought our bikes as well and this made it super easy and quick to get to everything. There really wasn't anything we couldn't get to within 10 - 15 minutes. Elgin Street is super close and has lots of restaurants to eat at, as well as the Byward Market is not that far either. There is construction going on all throughout the downtown and reading reviews this is an issue with any hotel downtown. For us- we were able to get on the 7th floor on the opposite side of the construction and we never heard a thing.

The staff were always super friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again if we come to Ottawa. Super happy with the stay!

Room Tip: The higher the better to avoid the noise from the street - and request the side of the building away...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear R C,

Wow! Thank you very much for taking the time to share an extensive thorough review of your stay with us. we very much appreciate it. I was so glad to hear your overall experience was such a positive one! It would seem that your time with us has created great memories and you were able to experience everything that our neighborhood has to offer.
Just wanted to clarify that you are correct with our indoor parking rate however the outdoor space is actually $12.00 plus taxes per night.
I was sorry to hear that you were disturbed by our housekeepers in the morning, but as you mentioned a single hanging of the "Do not disturb" sign will rectify that. I'm sorry that your chocolate bar was discarded.
Again we very much appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Ottawa. Thank you for your loyalty!

Yours in hospitality,