“"Not likely to stay again, unless changes made"”

Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #40 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night, on Sept 11, and I was not impressed. Strangely, what I was not impressed about, could so easily have been fixed. I realise the check-in time for the hotel is 1500, but there is such a thing, as doing everything by the rules to the extent that it inconveniences guests. I got the feeling that things were done very militantly, sadly not making the guest feel very welcome. After a long drive , I arrived at the hotel at about 1330, and waited at reception where 2 people were checking in early as well, and were given their rooms no problem. When it was my turn, I was told, that there was a hotel inspector there or coming, and that housekeeping was doing an extra through job, and could I come back in 30 mins, that my room would most likely be ready then. I came back in 23 minutes, and sat on the couch area to wait. When the staff member at reception (Tori), got finished with her silliness with the other staff there, she finally got around to telling me, yes, please wait another 15 minutes.
One of the most disgusting things about the hotel, is there was something wrong with the fireplaces, in the lobby area, and after sitting there for some time, I smelt worse than if was inside a bar full of smoke. Smoke was somehow making its way out of the fireplaces and entering the couch area of the lobby. I asked one of the other people in the lobby if they notices it, and the lady said yes, "it comes in waves, doesnt it?" This smoke now penetrated into my clothes, simply from waiting in the hotel lobby made me nauseous, and I mentioned it to Tori, who said she would tell someone named Ben to look into it. An East Asian gentleman in a purple shirt came out of the office as well, whom I assumed to be a manager, (he is an owner apparently), and he listened to me, but essentially brushed me off. Smelling like an ashtray now, from the lobby, I was very ready to get my smoke filled clothes off, take a shower, and change and go to my meeting, dinner , and concert. After quite some time, my room was finally ready, and I was invited to check in. The room itself, is decent, clean, and what I expected. I would have had no issues with the hotel at all, had it not been for the delays in the lobby, the smoke smell, and issue there coming from the fireplace system, and the rude unprofessional behaviour of the staff member Tori. I heard she is a brand new employee, but there is such a thing as learning to be professional. When I asked Tori, a question, instead of being given priority, as a hotel guest, and told, oh let me look, or look into your inquiry, the male employee there arrived, and just started to engage with Tori. The professional thing to do, is take care of a guests who is right there talking to you, then goof around with your co worker later. It was extremely rude, that Tori behaved this way, in mid conversation with a guest. Earlier I said, that is seems this hotel is militaristic in enforcing their policies or rules as when I checked in, I got the stern almost military-like lecture about 11 am check out time. There are polite ways of letting guests know information like this, without belittling them. I think some lessons on how to behave in a professional manner with Customers, is very much needed for the reception staff.
After, my clothes stank of smoke, from simply sitting in the hotel lobby, I would have thought an apology might have at least been nice, let alone offer a discount to me, due to the inconvenience, not to mention offer to clean those clothes for the guest. Perhaps I will hear back from the hotel, but never again at this point, based on the nonprofessional of reception staff. I hope you will take my constructive criticism in a production way.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kevin M
SRutters, Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Thank you for commenting regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata we strive every day to provide superior customer service. I am sorry we were not able to do that for you. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future.

Because we did not provide you with the service you deserve, I have authorized an immediate credit to your credit card for a full refund.

I hope you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with exceptional service.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed 8 September 2012

Spent 4 nights here during a family wedding. Being from the North and not used to the heat we found the a/c unite a delight! Staff very friendly, room spacious, clean, and quiet. This hotel is in an excellent location! During nights 3 and 4, a youth hockey team was staying here, occupying a number of units. Being a smoker, and not wanting to smoke in frount of building the far exit had been my choice this was not available as Hockey team occupied halls, setting up ironing boards in halls as bar stands. I found this absolutely unacceptable. Management must have been (should) aware this was happening and it should have been stopped. I would only stay here again if was assured no roudy teams were present. This hotel would have got 5 stars if team was prevented from spralling in to the common areas.

Room Tip: Go with a room located on second floor, a one room suite. AWAY FROM ROUDY TEAMS
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
SRutters, Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Thank you for your response. We are glad to see that the room was to your liking and the staff where very accommodating. There is a social aspect to many teams that stay at our hotel. As much as we try not to have this interfere with other guests experience, we also try to have the teams feel as comfortable as possible too.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

I brought my daughter to Carleton University a week before to familiarize her with the area and so I needed a cheap hotel with a good reputation. This hotel was and excellent price and only 20 minutes from the University and it was on a bus route. There was a fridge in the room and a microwave on the floor. Parking was free. It had everything I wanted in a hotel. Tim Horton's across the street and a Metro along with a couple fast food restaurants. The hotel was a little older and did have some stains in the carpets but the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were clean. When we got there, the room was warm so we called the front desk and she came up and fiddled with the air conditioning unit but she did admit that she had no idea what to do. It did seem to be working when she did that but then it continued to only work off and on when we kept fiddling with it. It was tolerable though. The next morning there was a repairman at the door and we did not even complain or ask again about the air conditioning. I really appreciated that she took the initiative to send for someone to check it out. He cleaned it and advised us on where to keep it set at. I will definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again. The pool looked very nice and clean but we didn't use it. Thanks

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your kind words. We strive to provide the best service possible to our guest. The weekend when parents bring many of there children to the three local universities and college always provided us with fresh faces and new experiences. I hope on your next visit to see your daughter yo have an opportunity to use the pool.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

we have checked in on monday 27th aug around 1:35pm. First of all it doesn`t have elevators then i noticed dirty sheets on the bed. The window curtains are full of dirt and dust and feels like nobody cleaned them for years.The hallway was full of smell and the only small microwave located on the main floor was so dirty. It`s not fair if someone has room on 1st floor and walking all the way from room through stairs to use microwave. It doesn`t cost more then 100$ of worth to put the microwave on 1st floor. The front desk staff was not friendly at all. The next morning i put the sign (do not disturb) and remove it at noon. Unfortunatelly no one came after noon for cleaning or room service. I have contacted the front desk 3 times (2:30pm, 3:50pm and then 5pm) . i heard someone will come shortly for cleaning. at last on the third call i have heard that cleaning staff already left for the day. I walked in to the front desk and requested if we can get clean sheets and towels so we can somehow accomodate ourselves for another day until we checkout from hotel on wednesday morning. Certainelly it was a bad experience i have ever had with best western. My brother is loyal customer of BW for years and our family stayed alot in different states of US during our stay but certainely i would not ever come again to this hotel (1876 robertson road, ottawa) and will not recommend anyone to ever stay again.

Room Tip: Please spend 10$ more on best western price and choose days inn just a street away and buffet breakf...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
SRutters, Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

We are very sorry to hear about your missteps while staying at the hotel. When your were trying to call the front desk you ended up calling the restaurant. Once the information was passed to us at the hotel, we did call you to bring you new linen. You advised us that you would prefer to come to the front desk and receive them. At 3pm every day, the housekeeping manager and I inspect various rooms and also check on all do not disturb rooms. I placed an apology card under your door indicating that, as of 3pm, the Do Not Disturb card was still on the door. The following morning, the DND card was still on the door. I did respond to your email, prior to check out, as you requested, but I did not get the opportunity to meet you.

We will take your notes of the hotel under advisement and continue to improve our service.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Hotel was under renovations. It is very aged and our room, the ac did not work. Everything about this hotel seemed neglected. Fitness room was a joke. Pool area was clean....but hot tube did not work.
But one good thing is very close to the 417 to get around.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kernalpanx
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Thank you for your response. It is always great to receive feed back from our guests. We are currently renovating our exterior front entrance. Though this will provide a minor inconvenience, the rest of the property is up to date. The rooms in the hotel were renovated in 2009 which include new pillow top mattresses, sheeting, new lighting, granite top counters and flat screen TVs,
With a California weight machine, two treadmills, a stair master and stationary bike, we will look into what other equipment we could fit in.
It is true that the hot tub was out of service while we received a new thermostat as it was not regulating the water temperature.
I hope that you have the opportunity to see the hotel again when we finish the exterior at the end of July 2012.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Pros: free wifi, big flat screen tv, the most comfortable beds you'll ever sleep in, free parking, washer and dryer located on 2nd floor, good size rooms, very clean rooms, and pleasant professional staff.

Cons: Wifi doesn't seem to work on the second floor but excellent in the 1st floor rooms.

This hotel has been here for at least since the mid-1970's but has obviously been well managed over the years. Highly recommend it for families and couples. It is very quiet and clean.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Joe M
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed our accommodations and felt comfortable during your stay. I am happy to report that we have upgraded our internet signal to better improve it strength.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

When we arrived there was a mix up in our reservations and we were advised just to come to the desk the next morning and tell them that we would like to stay another night. I was a little upset about having to do that and wondered why it couldn't have been done right there and then.
The next morning we did discover that our reservations have been made for us and we were okay. However, it would have been nice if we had been advised of this by the front desk before the next morning. Having said all that, we found the room clean and comfortable and enjoyed the swimming pool . It is in a very convenient location for shopping and close to my friends residence so I would definitely use this facility again. The restaurant attached has good food and reasonable and the service was good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank rosebud1947
SRutters, Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa Kanata Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you had a wonderful time at our hotel. We have some new staff that are still learning all the aspects of their job and they wanted to ensure that the attention to you reservation was exact.