“Had better experiences compared to last stay”

Albert at Bay Suite Hotel
Ranked #2 of 69 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I made a habit of always staying at the Albert at Bay whenever we went to Ottawa, however our last stay was not nearly as enjoyable. For starters, in the past we always booked a Queen bdrm suite through the hotel's website, however on our last trip, we booked a package through the Ottawa Tourism website for a Queen room, and the room we received was considerably smaller than what we were used to, so I have a feeling they leave some of the less desirable rooms for those who book packages through that site. Secondly, and pardon the crudeness of this, the toilet was either broken, or was such a cheap "low-flow" model that multiple flushes were required for anything more than a #1. Also, the key slider on the door required numerous (sometimes 10+) swipes in order to get it unlocked. I complained to the front desk about this and they said it was likely my husband's cell phone being too close to the door when we were trying to unlock it... funny we never had that problem before. Lastly, while the hotel itself is rather nice, and in a quiet area, expect at least a 20-30min walk to get to the Parliment buildings and Byward market, another reason why we are looking at a different hotel our our next trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristy C
AlbertBaySuiteHotel, Front Office Manager at Albert at Bay Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Kristy C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on more than one occasion.

We are disappointed to learn that this stay was less enjoyable than your previous stays. We would appreciate an opportunity to discuss this further and learn more about which suite you stayed in. At your convenience, can you please contact me at 613-238-8858 or Amanda@albertatbay.com? As a team that take customer service seriously, we are interested in knowing where we can improve to better serve our guests.

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. I look forward to an opportunity to speak with you.

Amanda Craig

Write a ReviewReviews (2,920)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was in Ottawa this weekend for Bluesfest, and this was the place I decided on. Here's my take on it:

The good -

Rooms - as advertised. They're huge; basically an apartment. It could easily fit a family with plenty of privacy. Lots of room to get around, lots of options for activities, and just an impressive set-up.

Staff - They were outstanding. There were a couple of issues (one at the start, and a rather large one that affected the hotel at the end), and they went above and beyond to make sure everyone (myself included) was content. They want to make sure people are happy and comfortable and they did a great job in the process. Serious credit goes to them.

Location - It's downtown, 10-min walk from Parliament, and within a shorter walk to restaurants, bars, and attractions. Plus, it's right on major bus routes, which really helps. You really can't beat it.

The Not-so-Good -

Parking - Before I went, I read the stories on here about parking. They're accurate. I appreciate a parking garage (as opposed to finding street parking) as much as anyone, but this lot is awkward. You swipe your room key, go down a ramp, and into the lot. It's a tight fit, even for my smaller car. I found a spot a level down, and it was easy to get into the hotel from there, but if you have a med-sized or larger vehicle, I wouldn't recommend it. You're going to have issues.

Bed Comfort - I never thought I'd mention a bed in a negative light. It just wasn't comfortable, though. The pillows were smaller and hard on the head (some specially built ones...they had a guide to explain it all), and the sheets came off just by sitting on the bed. It just wasn't what I expected.

Outside Noise - I live near a train yard. I'm used to noise. The hotel is on a bus route, which is very active from 5am til 12am. I had to close my window both mornings. Just a heads-up. I was also higher up in the hotel, and that didn't seem to matter.

All-in-all, the hotel is great. It comes as advertised - a huge place with great staff, great location, and everything you want in a hotel. There are just a few things to keep a heads-up about, and maybe a couple things (pillows, for instance) the hotel could change. I would stay here again without question. I'm not in Ottawa often, but this will be my first choice when I return.

Room Tip: Higher floors give a great view of the city. Try to get a room away from the street if you don't...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank OHLTG

Dear OHLTG,

Thank you for choosing the Albert at Bay Suite Hotel.

We are thrilled to read your very detailed review of the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to submit such detailed feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed the hotel and plan to return. In regards to the bed and pillows, I am hoping for an opportunity to further discuss this with you. We have many guests comment that we have comfortable beds and pillows and if I can learn which suite you stayed in, I will have our Housekeeping team investigate the issue. New pillows and/or a new bed will be purchased if needed.

Thank you again for staying and for providing such a helpful review for our future travelers.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our suite (luxury-one-bedroom-suite) was very spacious, nice bedroom, living room with joined eating area and fully operational kitchen, felt like we were right at home. Everything was very clean and I loved jet bathtub in the bathroom. All in all, we will be back again and will recommend this hotel to everyone we know. Just to mention another positive fact, the hotel is located close to downtown so everything is very close and just couple of steps away. Kept up the good work!

Room Tip: luxury-one-bedroom-suite
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jovana J

Dear Jovana J,

Thank you for choosing the Albert at Bay Suite Hotel.

We are happy to read that you felt at home in our suite. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for your comments on our spacious suites, great customer service and downtown location.

We look forward to hosting you and yours in the near future!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Really enjoyed our 2 night stay in a King Suite. Very spacious, complete with separate kitchen, dining area, living room and bedroom. Staff at front desk were very friendly and helpful. Would have liked to stay for a week!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaveandSharon766

Dear DaveandSharon766,

Thank you for choosing the Albert at Bay Suite Hotel.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your 2 night stay in a Superior King Suite. Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback online and mentioning our friendly staff.

We look forward to your next stay with us. We hope you can stay for the full week just like you wanted to!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My family and I stayed at the Albert at Bay Suites hotel in July 2014 and were overall satisfied with our choice. We chose a one bedroom queen suite and which worked well with two young children and two adults. Our suite was HUGE, clean, and modern. I was impressed with the well stocked full size kitchen that was a real money saver for us as it allowed us to store enough food in order to pack picnic lunches for day trips to the museums and snacks for the kids. We were in Ottawa during the city's 'bluesfest' music festival and it was a real treat to pull a cold beer out of the fridge and sit out on the balcony to enjoy the concerts for free in the evening! Our room was nicely finished with tile/carpeted flooring, two LCD TV's, two full size bathrooms, a nice sized dining table, large pull-out sofa bed and plenty of storage/room for all the things that a family with young children needs to travel with. The hotel has a 24 hour convenience store on site as well as a pub/restaurant, laundry facilities, and fitness center...they do not, however, offer a pool. Albert at Bay is well situated in downtown Ottawa to allow walking to many of the family tourist attractions the city has to offer such as Parliament (5min. walk), Lebreton Flats - bluesfest (5min walk), Byward Market (15min. walk) the Rideau Canal (10min. walk) and the Museum of Civilization (20 min. walk). There are a few issues to keep in mind with this hotel however. First, Albert St. is a rather busy thoroughfare...therefore, request an upper level room to lower the street noise, although the Balcony doors did a great job of keeping any noise out. And, secondly as many people have noted, parking is a gong show at this hotel...the staff know it, they are apologetic about it, but there is only so much room in the underground garage. I paid $21.00/night and actually had to park in the entrance laneway the first night. My tip: park the car when you first get there and then forget about it. Like I said earlier, there is a lot to do within walking distance of the hotel. If you are taking in attractions further than walking distance do as we did....OC Transpo. Ottawa has a great, user friendly transit system with a bus stop right at the hotel's door. I bought a day pass ($8.10) from the bus driver and it was good for 2 adults and up to 6 kids all day long on all the buses (except express lines) as well as the O-train. The money that I spent on the bus pass was far cheaper than driving my car and paying for parking at the venue I was going to and I saved myself the headache of trying to find a spot at the hotel at the end of the day - plus, my four year old thought the bus was really cool! Or, do like the natives do...bring your bike. I was astonished by the number of people in Ottawa that ride bike's, and why not...their bike trail system is fantastic, clean, scenic, well lit at night and great way to get around the city. In summary, I would highly recommend Ottawa as a family vacation destination (we're going back next summer), and we'll have no issues at all with staying at the Albert at Bay Suites again!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room both for a better view and to reduced the noise from the street below
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank flinger52

Dear Flinger52,

Thank you for choosing the Albert at Bay Suite Hotel during your recent stay in Ottawa.

We are delighted to see such a long and detailed review, full of helpful traveler tips for our future guests. Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience online. You are certainly right that we are very fortunate in Ottawa to have a great bus system and wonderful bike paths throughout the Capital. We also appreciate that you took the time to describe the suite in great detail.

We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed one night while attending Bluesfest in Ottawa. We got a good price via online reservation, and with CAA discount it included free parking. Great location for Bluesfest - a short 5-10 minute walk. Hotel is centrally located to lots of the downtown attractions, very close to Sparks St Mall and Parliament Hill. Byward market and Rideau Centre would be a pleasant 20-30 min walk but certainly do-able if you're up to it. Check-in was prompt and efficient with friendly staff. Underground parking and access was easy...and the rooms....wow! We had a one BR suite will fully equipped kitchen, separate living room and dining room, which was more than we needed for a quick one-night stay but would be fantastic for a longer stay and larger group. Could have accommodated 6 people comfortably: 2 double beds in BR and a double pull-out sofa. Cleanliness and decor were 5 star, ample toiletries, comfy bed, and no noise - we slept better than we ever have in a hotel stay. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant in the am - great buffet. This will be our new favourite place while visiting Ottawa!

Room Tip: top (12th) floor has great views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa_and_Dale

Dear Lisa_and_Dale,

Thank you for choosing the Albert at Bay Suite Hotel during your Bluesfest trip.

We are delighted to know that we are your new "go-to" place in Ottawa. Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic experience online. Your travel tips and kind words about our location, friendly staff and large, equipped suites are most appreciated.

We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We got lucky choosing Albert at Bay. I'd booked a one bedroom suite and was upgraded to the two bedroom. It was bigger than our second apartment! It was spacious and comfortable. We didn't really cook in the full kitchen but it was perfect for storing our groceries and basic food prep. The beds were decent, the bathrooms clean. It was fairly quiet, with only a bit of city noise.

The only complaint is the parking. The rental car was only a small SUV (Kia Sportage) but my husband had a heck of a time maneuvering in that basement.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SnappyMcUnderpants

Dear SnappyMcUnderpants,

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent trip to Canada's Capital.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the free upgrade. Thank you for sharing your experience and tips with our future guests. Our guests' feedback is invaluable in helping us improve where needed and also to ensure we keep doing what we are doing well. Your comments are being reviewed amongst our management team.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Ottawa.