“Excellent Value - Excellent Staff”
Review of Albert House Inn

Albert House Inn
Ranked #5 of 53 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida, United States
“Excellent Value - Excellent Staff”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have been to Ottawa for business many many times in the past decade. I usually stay at a larger hotel on the East side of the city, but decided to try the Albert House owing to price and wanted to do something different. I am glad I did.

The room was pleasantly appointed, the Internet access worked well and the breakfast cooked to order was just wonderful. It was also nice to have the Keurig machine in the common area so that hot beverages are always available.

I had to leave early on my departure day and mentioned this to one of the staff members. She quickly packed a small breakfast for me the night before my departure so that should have some food on my way to the airport. Very thoughtful (and the muffin was great).

A few things to keep in mind that have already been said by others. Parking can be a bit of a hassle. It is tight so you have to leave your keys in case car jockeying is needed. Not a problem, but keep it in mind. There are 3 floors of rooms that are only accessible via stairs. If you don't like to walk stairs or can't, don't stay at the Albert House. Even entry to the first floor requires that a few stairs be climbed. My room was on the top floor, so I got lots of exercise. I was OK with it so it was not a big deal for me. It certainly will not deter me from another visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Patent_Pending_FL
albertinn, Owner at Albert House Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Patent Pending,

Thanks so much for the kind remarks about our accommodation and our staff. We all enjoy looking after our guests and often times the small things do make a difference.

We appreciate your comments about our parking situation (yes it is a little tight) but we do manage to accommodate everyone's requirements as you pointed out.

The stairs can be issue for some guests and the tip about asking for a room on a lower level is one we suggest as well for those who are concerned about rooms on the top floor. I does keep us all in shape though as we are always happy to help with luggage.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your return to Ottawa.

Cheers,
Cathy Delroy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have spent many nights in charming B&Bs and aimed for same when I decided to stay at Albert House rather than a large hotel. With the rave reviews from industry watchdogs and travellers, I really expected more of my stay here. There are some very nice things about this place and some less so.

The hospitality--the staff really were welcoming, accommodating, and friendly. A definite plus for this place.
The quality breakfast--I got to choose some great items and though I asked for several items, I was never told to limit what I chose. I had wild blueberry pancakes with REAL maple syrup and more. The staff even encouraged me to take one of their freshly baked muffins to go. It was like a made-to-order breakfast.
The main common room--comfy place to just relax and have a cup of tea or coffee

The room--I was given a room on the top floor. I didn't mind the stairs and the reception person did offer to take up my luggage. The room was nicely air conditioned on this particularly hot muggy day in Ottawa.
The look they seemed to be aiming for is faded elegance--faded being the operative word. I think the room could use a bit of a makeover--maybe change out the formica 70's bathroom counters? Towels were only okay. I expect a place this highly rated to have plusher towels. The bed looked inviting. However, though the sheets appeared comfy, they were not as comfy to sleep on as they looked. Again, I expect an inn with this high rating to have nicer sheets. Given the long way down to the first floor, I would recommend that the inn place a couple bottles of water in the room.

I am told that all the rooms have their own character so there may be better rooms than the one I stayed in.
In all, not a bad place to stay and the hospitality does shine above many establishments. However, there are many little things that can make a stay here a much better experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank WorldWanderer88
Calgary
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife booked Albert House Inn king size bed with jacuzzi tub for our anniversary. Imagine my surprise to hear the phone ringing at 11:35 PM to be to told to "Tone it down in there" as there had been complaints about the noise from other guests. I inquired "The hot tub?" To which he responded "Yes".

The location is great. Breakfast fabulous. But don't book the luxurious room expecting to enjoy it. Book the standard room.

Room Tip: Book Standard Room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LloydminsterCowboy
albertinn, Owner at Albert House Inn, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear "Lloydminster Cowboy",

We are sorry you felt that your anniversary celebration was somewhat curtailed by our asking you to "tone it down". The previous two nights that you enjoyed your jacuzzi were not a problem but the last evening, we did receive a complaint from a guest as the television was very loud and could be heard in the hallway and a nearby room. Perhaps over the sound of the jacuzzi you did not realize the volume of the television.

We certainly want all of our guests to enjoy their stay as much as possible and no matter what room is occupied, we do respond to, what we believe to be, any justifiable noise complaint. As you know this is a older (heritage) property and is not as sound proof as a modern hotel.

Thank you for all your comments, we appreciate the feedback.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Clean, friendly staff and owners. Very responsive to our needs. Great location and wonderful breakfast. Nice to have coffee and tea available in the evening. Was easy walk to the downtown area and close to restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Petoskey, Michigan
Reviewed 24 May 2014

A nice older inn. Great location. Nice rooms. Fantastic Breakfast. Nice walk or bike to downtown. Bicycle storage available. We were there two nights and would recommend this inn to anyone going to Ottawa.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lizorph
UK, MIDLANDS
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a nice property with cosy rooms and a 'house' atmosphere. The owners are very friendly and can provide you with a lot of information about sightseeing and transport. It is well located to a short walk to the center of Ottawa and almost all buses stop opposite. Breakfast is very tasty. Although it was very cold when I visited, the heating was excellent. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We had a pleasant visit to the Albert House Inn in April. We found the service warm and personal.

It was a great touch to have a selection of newspapers - Ottawa Citizen, New York Times, Toronto Star, Globe & Mail - to read over breakfast. Breakfast was also very well done: several courses and very well made. It's exactly what you need when you're in Ottawa!

The Inn also has some great touches such as providing complimentary umbreallas right by the front door. Also, my wife was "under the weather" during our stay and the staff were very thoughtful and considerate (they cleaned our room first so she could rest undisturbed) - much appreciated!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple