“great location in downtown ottawa”
Review of Albert House Inn

Albert House Inn
Ranked #5 of 54 Ottawa B&B and Inns
vienna
“great location in downtown ottawa”
Reviewed 27 September 2009

b&b with a very good location, just 10 minute walk to parliament hill, on weekend car could be parked for free on the street.... house is old fashioned, but in a good condition.... staff extremly friendly and helpful... free internet access at a pc in the lobby.... breakfast is like in a restaurant... .you can choose whatever you want in a menu card (great pancakes!).... its not a traditional b&b - its an inn with a lot of rooms....
unfortunately we spent just one night in this location - but definitely will come back!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Istanbul
Reviewed 24 September 2009

The staff were really helpful. They guided me a lot. They cared about my breakfast preferences. You can say "I'm vegetarian" or " I don't eat pork" etc and they will care about it. The food policy is sth like "don't leave the table until you get full." I was really pleased :D They have a kitchen and cook what they want on demand. Although I was a bit (2 hours) late to leave the room, they did not charge me additionally.

As the building is not a hotel but rather an Inn, the room I stayed was a bit small. The toilet and the faucet were in different sub-rooms and they were small too. The heater was really great. I slept topless at -13*C. The bed was also really comfortable with lots of pillows =)

You need 15 minutes of walk to Rideau Center or you can take a bus. The price was 118 CAD (tax inc.). It seemed a bit high to me compared to the room size. It's possibly because that it's close to the downtown.

Overall, I was satisfied. But better alternatives might exist nearby.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
albertinn, Owner at Albert House Inn, responded to this review, 26 September 2009
Thank you for your review. I just wanted to point out that we have three small rooms, suitable for only one person, and this is outlined on our website and when guests call to book. We would have been happy to move you to a larger room had we realized you were not entirely happy. As you mentioned, we always try our best to ensure our guests comfort.

Our guest rooms are different, not like a big hotel, All of our other rooms are much larger and we also have lovely rooms with jacuzzi tubs. I am sorry that we did not have an opportunity to you give you a tour.

It is good to let other travelers know about our smaller rooms and thank you for that - they are in high demand, but much larger rooms are definitely available.
MONTREAL
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We were quite a big group (8 people) and even though they manage to make us all feel at home. They even did an exception allowing us to have breakfast all together (thanks). Also they explained us the recent history of the house and recommended some places to visit. A place to return.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
montreal
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Even shortstaffed, cathy and John maintained a high level of service and made our stay a memorable one. If you like a good breakfast, theirs in nothing less than exceptional. We would not hesitate to recommend this place.
Thank you both.
John an Nathalie (402)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 12 July 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful stay in this Inn on honeymoon in May 2009. We spent two nights in the Inn and only wish we had been able to stay longer. We were pleasantly surprised by how well located the Inn was - a short walk from a number of the city's main tourist attractions including the war museum and parliament buildings. The staff were very friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble (they happily supplied us with an iron and ironing board, tea and biscuits in our room and booked us our taxi to the airport). Our room was very clean and suited our needs perfectly. The breakfasts at the Inn were amazing - the choice was fabulous and the food of an extremely high quality. We were also given free access to a computer and the internet. We would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Vermont
Reviewed 16 June 2009

We spent 3 nice nights at the Albert House. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and breakfasts are excellent. They were helpful getting us directions, answering questions about the bus lines, recommending a restaurant for a light pre-concert dinner, bringing a pot of coffee in the evening, etc.

The facility is fine, not plush, but very adequate. We were in town for a concert and some touring. Since the inn mentioned having bicycle storage, we brought our bikes which we used to get around to tourist spots two of the days. On the third day it rained, and we used the buses that stop across the street.

We had a room in the front of the building. Albert St. is a busy bus route, which leads to a fair amount of traffic noise during some hours. Traffic slacks off later in the evening. If noise is an issue, pick a room in the back. The room was fine for our purposes. The mattress was a bit stiff, but all in all we enjoyed our stay very much. The location is great, and it's close to an excellent bike trail system as well as many restaurants. The concert we attended was at the National Arts Center, less than a mile down Albert St. and we were assured it was safe to walk to and from.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
north bay
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I just spent 3 days at this inn. The staff were accessible & always willing to make your stay with them, or being in Ottawa, as comfortable as possible. I stayed in room 305, which had a very comfortable bed, great t.v. and shower/bath. I decided to stay in on Sunday pm & enjoyed supper that was delivered to my room for a very reasonable rate. Perfect for me, as I had been out 2 pm's for supper while visiting my daughter in Ottawa, & as she was working, & I was tired, it couldn't have been more perfect. The inn reminded me so much of places I stayed in Ireland, with their inherent charm. Breakfast available at more extended hours than most b & b's I've stayed in, with lots of choices and made to your order. You can get tea/coffee/juices/hot chocolate delivered to your room for free right up until 11 pm. I did find the buses on Albert St. loud, as I like to have my window open, & I'm not used to them, as I live in the country and I'm not used to it. If you want a high end hotel or b & b, then that's what you should look for. If you want comfortable, clean, personable, flexible, then I'd highly recommend this inn. They are within walking distance to lots of shopping & restaurants, if you want to leave your car behind

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo