“Very enjoyable stay. Surprised”

Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa
Ranked #41 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed in room 1119 for two nights, booked through Hotwire on a hidden bid. Was weary as some of the reviews state some bad experiences and cleanliness issues. The hotel is built into two towers, I seen both room types. I can truly tell the tale of both sides. Original booking was for king size suite. Upon late checkin around midnight I was greeted by front desk agent name starts w M. He was very friendly and helpful. He told me the room types were sold out and he would have to put me into a smoking room against my wishes. Unless i wanted to pay more for a penthouse suite. He mentioned it shouldn't smell so bad and that if I couldn't bear it to let him know. The elevator, room and halls smelt terrible and the furnishings were very worn down and in need of repair from what I noticed. I couldn't bear the smells and smoking smell. He switched me into a penthouse suite and waived the fee, which was very accommodating in lieu of a non smoking room. This other tower area halls and elevator smelt clean and fresh like a hotel should. The room was very clean, furniture was well appointed and good condition. Bed is comfortable and linens were soft and the ac unit was working full force. The view on this oversized balcony was amazing. One of the best views in Ottawa. There isn't much for amenities here, small shampoo and soap and there wasnt a kitchen unit. There isn't a housekeeper to clean or make sheets etc which was the first time I ever heard of that. You can have someone come but it costs extra each day. All in all the price I paid on hotwire was well worth it. I would stay here again only if I paid for the penthouse floor again or that section of the hotel. Jenn at front desk was very polite and helpful too stored luggage here while went to museums during visit. Lots of potential and needs some upgrades but this hotel is the best on cooper street/ area for the price and service.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank CanJAD
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you letting us know that our smoking area was not suitable for you. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with an alternative where you could enjoy the hotel and the view. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed at Extended Stay over the weekend, and were pleasantly surprised at how clean and spacious the suits were, not to mention well equipped. My husband found a good deal for the hotel on Priceline, and it was worth every penny we paid. As the name suggests, the hotel caters to those who require apartment-style rooms for longer stays. Our rooms had a fully functioning kitchen, a separate living room, and a bedroom with a king-size bed. The highlights were the comfy bed, the amazing shower pressure and the close proximity to the downtown core of Ottawa. A grab-and-go breakfast was also included in the price, which we didn’t really try. The hotel provided parking for $14/night, but you can also find free parking on the streets over the weekend. The staff at the front desk were pleasant and helpful.

My only criticism would be that the suite that my in-laws stayed in was flooded with the smell of someone cooking fish in an adjacent suite one night. I guess this is no fault of the hotel management, but something that is inevitable when staying at places that allow cooking.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your encouraging review of our property. Please accept our apologies that your in-laws stay was impacted by an odor coming from a different guests room. Still, we are thrilled to know that we were able to provide you great service and value. Especially so, that you were able to enjoy our in-rooms kitchens and comfortable beds.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

Great location, walking distance from Byward Market, restaurants and shopping. Hotel lobby and room were very clean. Staff were friendly and helpful.
The hallways were dirty and smelly and the noise level was high late at night and early in the morning.
There seemed to be several guests who were staying there for much longer than the usual hotel guest, and based on some conversations I overheard at check in/out it is likely that this hotel serves as temporary housing for homeless individuals.
Parking was available but getting in/out of the underground lot was tricky, the ramp in/out is very narrow, I'm sure many people have damaged their vehicles getting in and out.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. Your comments in regards to the staff's friendliness and the level of cleanliness in your room are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read that noise disturbed your stay and that you found the hotel hallways to be dirty. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have discussed your remarks about the property's cleanliness with our housekeeping team to ensure it is attended to immediately.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at otw@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in a very nice place, very close to downtown as lots of nice restaurants. The rooms are older looking for sure, the couch is old looking. We had a problem with the AC and was was fixed. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful

• Stayed: May 2013

George - Thank you for posting a review about your stay at our hotel. Please accept our apologies that you found the furniture in your room to be in need of repair. Still, we are pleased to know that we were able to address your issues and provide helpful, friendly service.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

I was looking for hotel and I found this hotel that was a very goog surprise. The price was very good, the location was very good, the front desk people was friendly, the parking is on the hotel and cost $15,00 , the breakfast is poor but was not a surprize for price that we pay. I stayed 1 nigthy and i strong recommend. Paulo from Brazil

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Paulo - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the value, location, and our team. I am sorry to hear that the grab and go breakfast did not meet your expectations. It is one of our newest offerings, so we are working to perfect what is available for our guests to enjoy. We will keep your comment in mind as we continue to do this.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I had seen a few less than positive reviews so I was a little wary after being told my "secret hotel" was the Extended Stay Ottawa. I needn't been concerned. The outside isn't much to look at, but I thought the room was fantastic. I was in Ottawa to see the Leafs beat the Senators, and not only was it very reasonable and comfortable, it was incredibly convenient.

Very close walking distance to pubs, shopping, and fast food restaurants. 10 minute walk from the transitway which gets you across town very quickly. 10 minute walk to Parliament Hill. Location was just fantastic.

My only real complaint is the WIFI is very slow, but that's a real small sticking point. It was usable, just not what I'm used to. Also, there is construction going on nearby, but that's hardly their fault.

I'd definitely stay again, very high on the value scale.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We appreciate you letting us know that you experienced some speed issues with the internet connection. We are sorry for this, but are happy to read that we provided you with a convenient and comfortable stay. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

My husband & I stayed here for a Friday night. Location to the function we attended was great, no cab needed. Secure parking was only $14/nite. Very quiet, nicely furnished, good bars & food very close by. Front desk service was # 1. Liz

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

It is so rewarding to read that you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for your comments. We are thrilled we were able to provide you and your Husband a secure, welcoming place to stay for your Friday evening out. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!