“Nice and comfortable stay”

Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa
Ranked #43 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel this summer for 6 days. Our stay was pleasant since the room was newly renovated. The staff are nice and helpful. Room service does not deliver towels or toilet paper unless you ask for it. Room cleaning is done once every few days.
Avoid going there during holidays because prices will be way high. A substantial discount was offered to us if we stay more than 7 nights.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am pleased to know you were happy with our newly renovated rooms and friendly staff, and that you were able to take advantage of our great weekly rates. Thank you again for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Manager denied our stay because we arnt her race she was so racist her name was amy and i hope she gets fired..receptionist were really rude will never ever go back and will make sure nobody i know will ever go there again that are tourists like us

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Chello M
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Location wise, this hotel is perfectly located, just a couple blocks away from parliament hill, close to Elgin and many shops. The rooms are also clean and huge; we were very pleasantly surprised at first. Things started going down from there, though.

To put things simply, there was no cold water. Every faucet in the room (bathroom and kitchen sink, shower and even the toilet bowl) were pouring near boiling water.

I went down to inform the reception at about 6 pm, after nearly burning myself in the shower. The lady at the front desk informed me it might have been related to the construction going on near the room. She also informed me that we could not change room since we booked with Hotwire and they were only giving renovated rooms to full paying customers. She however told me that, from her experience, the problems with the water were coming and going that week so I just had to wait it out. Fair enough.

I then woke up at 2 am to go to the bathroom. When I flushed the toilet, the plumbing started to make a terrifying rattling noise. I'm used to old buildings with noisy plumbing, that was something else: close to the sound of a power tool or a chainsaw. With great care and by opening the bathroom sink's faucets to reduce the pressure, we were able to make the sound stop after maybe 3-4 minutes. A mild steam fog, coming out of both the toilet bowl and sink, emptied the bathroom.

Avoiding the bathroom for the rest of the night in fear of waking up the entire hotel again, we woke up to be - of course - unable to take a shower or even wash our hands since the water was still boiling hot.

When we arrived at the reception to check out, the phone was ringing again and again, the lady warning another employee not to answer.

I'm a calm, understanding man; I don't mind the small stuff and rarely get upset. I also don't expect much from a hotel, but being able to take a shower or even go to the bathroom at night are one of those things. Not being treated like a second class citizen by hotel employees is also on the verge of the unacceptable.

Yes, the room are correct and surprisingly ample, but the total lack of service or even respect received during this (hopefully) exceptional hot water fiasco prevents me from recommending this hotel to anyone expecting anything better than a 15$/night youth hostel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Remy V
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We got this hotel through a hotwire mystery deal. When we looked at the reviews and location, we were very pleased! The hotel itself is clean and the rooms are very comfortable. Our (BIG!!!) problem was with the water... When we arrived, there was no hot water at all. No matter how long we would let it run, the water would never get warm enough to take a shower. We went to the looby to let them know about the problem and find a solution and the only awnser giving was "yeah it's been like that all week. It's because of the renovations in the hotels. We can't do nothing and since you booked through a hotwire mystery deal our policy is that you get watever room is still available. So we can not get you another room. The problem usually solves itself overtime". Since we were in a hurry, we decided to let it go to wait and see. The next morning, the opposite problem happened... The water was so hot that the smoke detector went off while I was letting the water run to see if it would cool. Guess what? We got the same awnser from the front desk... I get the fact that there is renovations in the hotel and that it means some mild disagreements. I have no problem with that. But no hot and/or cold water is more than mild disagreement and the fact that we were basically told that since we got a good price on hotwire we were second grade customers is inacceptable. Anyone with basic PR knowlege would know to at least apologize for the situation... Now there is no way I will ever come back to this hotel... The mystery deal is a great way to discover new hotels and and (eventually) come back as a full paying customer. If it's was not for this water situation, this hotel would have been perfect and I would have definitly consider it for my next Ottawa trip...

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank mbouletcraig
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Good hotel, good price and near of parliament of Ottawa. you have a small kitchen were you can preparer the meals. the room are clean and spacious. The breakfast is not that great cause is only coffee, muffin, fruits, but the personal are frendly. Good experience..

Room Tip: the junior room are a little small but the suite room are much biger ans spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ROROMIMI2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We appreciate you letting us know that you would prefer a more robust breakfast; however, we are so pleased to hear that our clean, spacious suites met your needs for your visit.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Hubby and I booked this hotel through a Hotwire mystery deal--- that's where you don't see the name of the hotel until after it's booked. I'm ashamed to say that when the hotel was revealed and I saw the reviews, I was terrified. I called and tried to get myself out of the purchase, knowing full well that the whole point of the special offer is that it's non-refundable.
I was terrified that the place would be small, ugly, dirty (all the things I was reading about it). We were pleasantly surprised!! You don't go here expecting luxury, that's for sure. But for what we paid, we were comfortable, our room was clean, the lobby was nice and inviting, there was free parking on the street and a street with shops and restaurants in walking distance.
Our room
We didn't want to pay a lot on our trip and for under $90 a night, I was expecting much worse. Extended stay is great for travelers on a budget

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Foodie_Mouse
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

It is so rewarding to read that you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for your comments. We are delighted we were able to exceed your expectations. We’re so pleased to have provided you with a clean, comfortable stay. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Canada. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We were staying at the Ottawa ontario location. It was nice and close to Parliament and downtown so location was a plus!
The hotel was under renovations which is fine, however our room had been newly renovated, and many things didn't work.
Our remote control in the bedroom didn't work, the hair dryer in the bathroom didn't work, the oven/stove didn't work (or wasn't plugged in - and we weren't going to pull it out ourselves), there was only one plug in the kitchen and the cords for the coffee maker/toaster wouldn't reach it. The wireless internet didn't work, they only provided one dish soap package, one coffee package and one roll of toilet paper. I understand that we weren't having the room made up but I think these things should be provided in larger quantities so we don't always have to call the front desk. There weren't ANY extra towels (although we did get some), and we had to call down for extra bedding for the pull out couch - including a pilllow. The elevator was very slow, and the fridge in the room was dirty with what looked like splattered ketchup at the back of the fridge. The staff at the front desk were very helpful especially Colby, but when arriving at a hotel it would be nice to have working items instead of having to call for assistance. I have also stayed at the Albert Suites at bay which is a similar sort of hotel and it was MUCH nicer. NOt as close to downtown as Extended stay, but I would prefer the walk for the additional amenities and working items! There also wasn't even so much as a pen to write things down with in the room. There weren't instructions about how to access voice messages on the phone, and there wasn't a book with hotel details like you normally find in any hotel room.
On the plus side however, the room is a decent price and is fairly roomy. It's nice to have a seperate bedroom and small kitchen when you are travelling with a young family (6 yr old and 9 month old). The shower was FABULOUS! The water pressure was great, however the fire detector kept going off b/c the steam would set it off and the fan barely removed any steam! We ended up disarming the fire detector b/c it wouldn't stop going off(Not safe, I understand, but necessary)! I don't think I would stay here again unless we were staying with a bunch of other people and this hotel was their choice. A hotel room is pretty standard, its the little things that make the difference.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Kate - The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so we are disappointed to hear that items in your room were not functioning properly and that the refrigerator was not clean; however, we are glad that Colby and the rest of our staff provided you with quality service. To make sure your experience isn't repeated, we are calling a staff meeting to address these issues right away. We will also be working with our housekeeping staff on a new cleaning procedure.

We appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve, so thanks again. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, at bti@extendedstay.com should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.