Cartier Place Suite Hotel
US$225
US$180
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsfull kitchenseparate bedroomparliament hillwithin walking distanceunderground parkingrideau canalelgin stbyward marketdowntown ottawabit datedown mealslocation is excellentindoor poolhot tubminute walknational arts centresmall kitchen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We have been coming to this hotel for 10 years. Upon check in we were advised that we would have to pay a half day rate for a later check out by 2:00pm or anything later then that a full day rate. We travel from Toronto and all the hotels have always let the runners have a later check out. The full marathon starts at 7:00am and the half marathon starts at 9:00am unless your an elite runner, you wouldn't make it back to your hotel to check out by 11:00am. And everyone needs a shower after running. Also when booking a room for the next years Ottawa race, they told me I had a pay in advanced with no refunds. I won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Cassie132
CartierPlace, General Manager at Cartier Place Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to send your review of your recent stay with us. We truly value the opinions of our customers and will review this policy further with the management team.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I'm sure you've heard the saying that if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all. Well, alright, I'll start with the good -- but I'll need to dig pretty deep.

GOOD:
-Wifi: worked well, only dropped the connection to my laptop once or twice, wasn't as slow as hotel wifi tends to be.
-Location: perfect location for the business traveller -- close to many shops, restaurants, pubs, the canal, attractions, etc.
-Kitchen: while the stove/oven was quite ancient, it was in decent shape, and the full fridge was quite new.
-Staff: the front desk staff said hello a few times, but otherwise didn't go out of their way to be friendly; the Operations Manager took care of a few issues I emailed her about (but note: they were issues that should definitely have been addressed before anyone stayed in the room).

BAD:
-Carpet: the fact that it was carpeted at all was disappointing; it was dirty, faded, and stained; it was frayed where it connected to the kitchen tile, etc.
-Air conditioner: loud, to the point that I had to shut it off at night in order to sleep.
-Furniture: the floral pull-out couch looked and felt like it belonged in a camper trailer circa 1980; the bedside "tables" were faux wood shelves bolted to the wall and were hanging at such a sad angle that I couldn't put my water bottle on them; the desk, side tables, and dining table were easily circa 1980, though in relatively good shape.
-Bed: relatively comfortable but very creaky; terribly lumpy deflated pillows that were replaced when I complained on day 3; less than satisfactory blankets/bedspread.
-Bathroom: next to the carpet, this was the worst part of the hotel room: stained, black grout; cheap plastic shower curtain; very dark -- only one light (above the sink); terrible "open pipe" style shower head when I checked in, which got replaced when I complained the next day; disgustingly mouldy soap dispenser on the shower wall, which got replaced when I sent pictures to the general manager; bathroom fan was on a "ticker" circa 1955.

Overall, a terrible hotel experience. I will never stay there again. Had it not been tulip festival time, resulting in every decent hotel being booked, I wouldn't have even considered this place. The fact that they're able to charge the same rate as the modern boutique hotels just around the corner absolutely boggles my mind. This place needs to be completely gutted and rebuilt/renovated from the bottom up.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tommypei
CartierPlace, General Manager at Cartier Place Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. You will be happy to hear that we are undergoing renovations. We apologize that your suite was not cleaned properly. We have retrained the housekeeping staff to avoid this happening again. During your stay we offered to relocate to another suite and a complimentary night for your inconvenience experienced. We hope that you will return so that you can experience a wonderful stay with us in the future.
Warm regards.

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Pack'n go weekend from Penn, USA to Ottawa for tulip festival. Searched and found they advertised as a sponsored hotel so reserved. Buy not any benefit provided and comparatively expensive. No merit to stay in centerplace like this hotel just for tulip festival. Very expensive extra charge for parking. No breakfast.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very proud to provide clean and spacious suites to our guests. You receive an entire suite with a separate bedroom, combined living/dining room, fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher and a private balcony all for the same price as a regular hotel room. Prices vary during peak seasons; however, we have great discounted specials throughout the year that we are sure you will appreciate for a return stay. We are pleased to provide our guests with a secure indoor parking facility in the downtown core. In order for us to do so, a parking fee will apply. As an alternative, outdoor city pay lots are located nearby the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

When we arrived to check-in the clerk behind the desk was rude. Stemming from me having a prepaid credit card. I had this card to reserve the room and they requested one for payment. I had over $1000 on this card. She said it was not accepted there. I have used it at many Hotels without issues, I explained we don't have any other credit cards. She reluctantly, with a lot of attitude allowed us to pay in cash with a $250 deposit. The deposit in itself was not an issue but getting lip from a Hotel clerk and basically belittled was. (My girlfriend is a RN and I'm an Industrial Electrician btw) And to top it off my credit card did get charged $100 pre-auth by the Hotel which I`m still waiting to get back.
The atmosphere is that of a nursing home, or retirement residence.
The decor and furniture is very outdated. At least 30yrs.
We arrived at 9:45pm on Friday night and were told the restaurant closed. And that on Saturday and Sunday there is no breakfast!
We got the VIP room for 2 nights which with parking could be someones rent or mortgage for the month. At that price I would expect at least someone to ask us how our stay was, or even acknowledge that we were guests. However even walking past the front desk didn't get more than a glance from the staff. Maybe because we are young? I didn't feel nor did my girlfriend that they showed us any respect. The couch, bed and pillows were uncomfortable. The televisions were not clear and quite. We only got complimentary champagne one night which was two small glasses. We also received to bath robes the first night and not the second. There was no water bottles in the rooms even to purchase would have been fine.
The good things were the balcony and the jacuzzi tub in our room, having said that not worth the cost. Maybe I'm picky because I traveled with work for two years, staying mostly at hotel chains that offer good service. We will never stay here again. It might do if you could find nothing else downtown and you needed to stay for work but if you can avoid it do not stay here. And if you are going away on a romantic getaway, avoid at all costs!

Room Tip: VIP suite or better at the least! I wouldn't want to see what the other rooms are like!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan C
CartierPlace, General Manager at Cartier Place Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the Jacuzzi and the private balcony during your stay with us. We are pleased to provide our guests with a secure heated indoor parking facility in the downtown core. In order for us to do so, a parking fee will apply. As an alternative, outdoor city pay lots are located nearby the hotel. You will be happy to hear that we are undergoing renovations and we thank you for sharing your concerns about the reception staff so we may address. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is the real deal! We stayed in a two bedroom suite with a full kitchen and felt spoiled and wonderful. The room's cleanliness met my picky standards and the hotel is a short walking distance to everything downtown Ottawa has to offer!

Room Tip: If you can afford the two bedroom suite it is a great option and helps to save money since you can eat in on occasion.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family