“Good place to stay in Ottawa”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #19 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Canada
“Good place to stay in Ottawa”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We have stayed 3 times at Fairmont Château Laurier. Every time was a pleasant and good experience. The service is always very good and attentive. The only slight disappointment this time was our room. Located on the 6th floor we had a nice view of the parliament buildings. The room was a Deluxe King, spacious and the bed divinely comfortable as always in Fairmont Hotels. However the bathroom was in sad need of renovations: peeling wallpaper, rusty door hinges, cracked ceramic tiles, and the shower curtain was stained. The bathroom was relatively clean on the surface but by paying closer attention it was not up to standards for a Fairmont Hotel.
Breakfast at Wilfrid's was excellent. If you have never stayed at one of the original hotels built by the Canadian National Railway in the early 20th century, it is really worth the experience. My favourites are: Château Frontenac in Quebec City, QC and The Empress Hotel in Victoria, B.C.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KaC_Mtl
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
We are delighted to read about your recent stay and it certainly sounds like you had a memorable visit in Ottawa!

You also are very knowledgeable about our history and if you have not had the opportunity to do so, please view our historical tour which can be found on any Apple or Android device by searching for “Fairmont Château Laurier Historical Tour”.

I am sorry to hear about your room experience and would like to properly review the room with our Chief Engineer, unfortunately we can’t look up your reservation based on a Trip Advisor name, so if I can request that you contact me directly so I may tend to this matter, I would greatly appreciate it. My contact is 613-241-1414.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Claude J. Sauvé

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 19 May 2013

It is 2am and am forced to write this review as the paper thin walls between the rooms of this hotel allow me to follow in great detail the loud obnoxious conversations in the room next door! For the second night in a row despite a room change the hollow walls of this seemingly grand hotel have kept me and my wife up! Not a hotel for families from my point of view, only if you are here to stay up late into the night, and don't forget to bring you earplugs! Rooms are decent but absolutely no soundproofing, it reminds me of being in a dorm!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Mahendr
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
I am sorry to hear about your displeasure with your recent stay with us.

We were disappointed to hear that your sleep was interrupted by guests in the neighboring room. The quiet enjoyment of our guests’ remains a priority for us, as such, I am sorry that on this occasion this was not the case for you and your family.

Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ottawa’s Castle.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2013

The Canadian travel experience is not complete without staying in one of the original hotels built by the national railways in the early 20th century. Most major Canadian cities have one and most are now in the Fairmont chain. The Chateau Laurier is one of the grandest. (see pictures) The staff are friendly and attentive. The lobby is welcoming and grand. The salon off the lobby is decorated with original photos by Karsh, (who used to have his studio in the hotel) including the famous wartime photo of Churchill (see pictures). The location is great. The room is fine, the bed is excellent, although it is time for a refurbishment, the carpet is old, the furniture is dated and a paint job would be nice. But, this was not, in my view a reason to not give an excellent rating.

Also, I was in Ottawa for a conference, when I checked out, I left my leather portfolio in the room, I discovered this when I arrived at the conference, we called the hotel and they found my portfolio and sent it to me by courier that same day. That kind to service is priceless.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor and it was fine. If you want a view, best to get a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
You certainly are well-versed in the grand history of Ottawa’s Castle and its sister properties!

If you have not had the opportunity to do so, please view our historical tour which can be found on any Apple or Android device by searching for “Fairmont Château Laurier Historical Tour”.

I am also pleased to share with you that we have completed the first phase of room renovations and are presently discussing future room renovation plans with our Owners.

We hope to welcome you back to Ottawa soon!

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I have stayed in CL 3 times and each time it was an awesome fulfilling experience.
Amazing Location right at the Rideau Canal , next to the Parliament on one side and the Downtown on the other, its just a perfect setup. The staff is very hospitable and was prompt.
The rooms are done up well except the TVs, which were a little outdated . Rather there was a funny incidence that I was looking for the LED and could not find it. Called the Customer care and they informed Open the wooden Box to find the TV :)
Overall food was awesome.. Recommend the Sunday Brunch as its the best in town.
This has to be my fav destination whenever I m in Ottawa.

Room Tip: Try the Downtown Facing Room..
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor, I am delighted that you enjoy the royal treatment! Our Executive Chef and his brigade work tirelessly to ensure that our food offerings are the best for our valued guests and visitors!

We will be sure to share your kind remarks with the team.

As for the televisions in our guestrooms, they were very recently changed over to up-to-date flat screen televisions and I am therefore very surprised by your comment. In an effort to investigate further, additional details would be helpful. Kindly contact me directly at 613-241-1414, at your convenience.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Hope Island, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Hotel is in an excellent location, close to most of the attractions. The room we had was quite small & there was an upgrade of the hotel taking place at the time which meant with scaffolding etc we didn't have much of a view.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback. As a heritage hotel, we do have a few smaller rooms; however, in general, we are fortunate to offer our guests spacious rooms with lovely surroundings.

We do make every effort to ensure the quiet enjoyment of our guests, even during renovation projects and we regret your disappointment on this occasion.

We do hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Fairmont Château Laurier in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I had booked 2 weeks in advance and got a great deal!

There was a protest going on infront of their hotel so I had trouble finding the place. I called to get directions and the hotel redirected me to 3 people then was on hold for 10 minutes!?
Some staff were incredible friendly some were not so much. (I wasn't asked how my stay was just wanted me to pay up)

I got a lovely corner room with an amazing view but it was about a 4 minute walk from the elevator! The room could have been cleaner (some stains in carpet)

The food was very expensive and wasn't that great. They didn't even have those metal covers on the plates to protect from dust!?

Overall a decent stay, if you have a decent room!

• Stayed May 2013
As next door neighbour to the Parliament Buildings, we are indeed close to the many activities and festivals that take place in our Nation’s Capital.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations on this occasion. We do, however, look forward to welcoming you back one day soon!

Milton, Vermont
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The Fairmont Chauteau Laurier is practically another attraction in Ottawa. Almost anyone who visits Ottawa will stop in here to check it out and say that they had been there. It's located perfectly in downtown with the Rideau Canal right next to it. The Parliament is a stones throw away and so is the By Ward Market. Nice architecture, ambiance, service, and quality.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us in Ottawa’s Castle! We look forward to welcoming you back again one day soon.