“Parliament!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Parliament!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

By far best location in the city. Close to the market. Perfect for parliament visit. Easy walk to the mint. Great way to learn about our awesome country. Great service. No complaints. Definitely consider the mint tour which was so cheap as well as the amphibian bus which was great and informative.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Taco1970
ChateauLaurier, Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
We are indeed fortunate to have the premier location in our Nation’s Capital!

Thank you for sharing your comments with others on Trip Advisor.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Excellent second floor room and very good lower ground floor facility for a recent board meeting. The quality of the meeting food was extremely high. The hotel staff are friendly and very efficient. Although clearly a busy place one never feels as if in one is in a train station as can be the case in some large higher star rating hotels in large cities. The ground floor bar lacks a little atmosphere probably because of the cavernous nature of the room and the selection of craft beer was limited. Certainly worth joining the Presidents Club for free internet etc. Walking distance to most of the local attractions, the Byward Market for restaurants, shopping etc.and a stone's throw from The Hill. Better appointed and more traditional than the Westin.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank andrew4038
Dear Andrew,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit to Ottawa and look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.

Thank you for sharing your comments with others.

Marl Steenge
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Fairmont Chateau Laurier

This will be my ongoing review of this establishment as I spend the next 10 days in Ottawa. I am going to do this as I stay here so that the information is fresh and if there are any questions I can attempt to answer them or find the answer more easily. Feel free to drop me a line if you have an inquiry.

First, Chateau Laurier has a great deal to live up to being a part of the Fairmont chain. So while some things may seem picky the fact is that the establishment is lauded as a five stars and I will see if they are or are not able to live up to that reputation.

First Impressions
The building itself is impressive and I am sure that many an architect aficionado could spend hours enjoying the beauty of the building’s exterior. It stands out from the crowd there is little doubt.

Arrival & Check In
This was my first surprise. Businesses just like people are evaluated greatly upon their first impressions, and while the building itself in the structure and design assists in this first impression it is the first human contact that we note as well. One would expect upon arrival to have a porter ready to greet you and take care of your baggage. As I am staying 10 days and part of that is with a conference I had a fair amount to wrestle with, and I say wrestle with as there was not a person to be seen. I noted that even my taxi driver was unsure as he looked around, obviously expecting the same thing.

This was not the case however, and to give the benefit of the doubt I did wait for several minutes with no appearances or the like from the front staff. Not wanting to leave my luggage outside it was manhandled through their revolving door which they seem to want people to use as the signs on other entries made such a request.

Registration was fast and efficient, the attendant gathering the information quickly and I arrived at the room with relative ease. I will be interested to see if information I had sent prior however gets noted as I had decided to extend my time here by a few days and made a second booking. I had called to inform them of this in the hopes I wouldn’t have to change rooms. We will see as upon check in he noted my stay as being seven days not the altered ten.

Décor.
This falls in line with the building, and though I haven’t had the chance to fully explore the rest of the facilities it is lavishly decorated and this part is fitting to the pedigree that is Fairmont. The common spaces and the private rooms are all done tastefully with a well composed blend of old world charm with the touches of modern conveniences in which we expect.

Rooms
Understanding that this is an older building I can understand and accept some things such as smaller rooms, which they are, what is perhaps more surprising is the choice in layout given the design choices made in the common areas. The television is at one side of the bed and not situated at the foot like 99% of other hotels and homes. While this is no doubt due to the aforementioned small room size it would be easily fixed with a wall mount. Surprising given that I was told it was a newly renovated room.
As well there is surprisingly little storage space. When I stay for more than a day or two at a hotel I like to unpack and use a dresser for a semblance of normalcy and it allows me to keep clean and dirty clothing easily separated with the dirty going in a bag into the unused suitcase. The only drawers however here are two small ones on the side nightstand. While the closet could be considered average to larger in size there are no shelves or drawers available.

As mentioned the room is well appointed, the bed seems comfortable and the desk/workstation is handy and sufficient. There is a small sitting, which is basically a small table and chair beside the window which affords a nice view of the east block of the Parliament buildings. Looking out the window does reveal again a surprise in that the window itself is quite dirty which has led me to check the rest of the room and reveals that while looking nice upon broad inspection upon closer look dust is evident on things such as the top of the television, the lamp, headboard and perhaps more disconcerting around the window a bevy, a small bevy of a about four, of green bugs that an entomologist will have to identify. With this being a newly renovated room as well the AC would seem to be a neglected feature that was not upgraded, while it works it certainly takes it’s time.

WiFi and other costs.
This is a particular pet peeve of mine and it seems to be the growing trend in the hospitality industry. Currently WiFi at the hotel is $15.76, however you can have it free if you sign up for their members club, in this case I believe it’s President’s Club. The sign up was relatively painless though I was told it could take up to half an hour if done at the desk, surprising as I did the same sign up at a Westin literally the day prior and it took less than a minute. What bothers me in this in general is that this is but another way to get more email, junk mail and the like for a service that frankly given the cost should be free with no strings attached. This is in addition to the trend in pricing of some things that are frankly outrageous but taken as perfectly fine given the establishment in which they are located. This is more directed at all the higher end hotels and not solely upon the shoulders of Fairmont.

As noted this may be a little more picky then what would be normal, however I do feel given the name, reputation and price involved I will be holding them to a higher standard. I will continue to explore and check the various facilities and report upon them. If there are questions I look forward to hearing them.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Joe B
ChateauLaurier, Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Joe,

Thank you for sharing your comprehensive review with others on Trip Advisor.

I regret that certain aspects of your stay in our Castle have been disappointing to you; please rest assured your experiences are certainly not typical of the high level of service we strive to provide to all of our guests.

I do hope you enjoy the remainder of your stay with us and please do not hesitate to contact me through our Hotel Switchboard if I can be of any assistance.

Thornhill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a classic hotel in Ottawa's best location, overlooking the Rideau Canal and Parliament, within easy walking distance of the National Gallery of Canada and Byward Market. Outdoor dinner at La Terasse offered a superb meal with a view of the sun setting over the Gatineau Hills.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Robert W
Dear Robert,

It certainly sounds as though your visit to Ottawa was a memorable one.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with others.

Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were fortunate to celebrate Canada Day on Paliament Hill so naturally, the Fairmont Chateau Laurier was the best choice for proximity. Isabel at the Front Desk went above and beyond the call of duty to graciously move us to a more suitable room after our first night spent in a less satisfactory room. She ensured that we were very comfortable and took extra care to meet our needs by paying close attention to small details. Isabel is bilingual, which is a real plus, since we were able to share many laughs with her during our interactions. We appreciated Cecilia's accommodating attitude in housekeeping and her enthusiastic "good mornings"! The most wonderful part about the Chateau is that they open up the Terrasse patio privately for hotel guests to view the Canada Day fireworks!! That was the most memorable evening ever, we appreciated being able to enjoy the concerts within such close proximity to our hotel. We will definitely stay here again, it was very convenient to be able to pre-pay for our visit through Booking.com!

Room Tip: The wifi is too expensive at the hotel. Walk across the street and access free wifi through many pla...
1 Thank Dahas A
Canada Day celebrations in our Nation’s Capital are certainly not to be missed and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Isabel and Cecilia are certainly wonderful colleagues and I will certainly share your compliments with them.

We hope to see you again one day soon!

Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We took family from Europe to this hotel to see the Ottawa sites. The location for visitors is second to none. The service here is impeccable. We stayed in a gold suite which was huge with a view of the river and a large bathroom with a separate shower. There are some other really nice hotels in the area but this hotel has the wow factor. The Byward Market is an easy 10 minute walk to lots of restaurants, open market and shopping (an Ottawa favorite). The Ottawa river cruise is located just below this hotel and a great opportunity to see the Parliament Hill and many other sites from the water. We chose the sunset tour. We have Fairmont Presidents membership so wifi is always included in our rooms.

Room Tip: The Fairmont gold rooms have private check in and personal concierge service so if you can justify t...
Green Features: I think that they do very well in this area with bins for cans and bottles etc. Hanging towels and not changing bed linens every night.
1 Thank BusyBis09
We are delighted you and your guests enjoyed your stay in Ottawa’s Castle.

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at the Chateau Laurier for Canada Day (2 nights) and our visit was very pleasant, as usual. The Laurier is the place to stay when in Ottawa, and we're frequent visitors due to the quality of service and amenities. Steps away from Parliament, the Byward market, shopping and entertainment. If you're looking to relax in a historical palace, the Laurier is the place to pamper oneself.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Mary M
Dear Mary,

We are delighted when our guests enjoy our rich heritage and history and we are fortunate to have the premier location in the heart of the city.

We hope to welcome you back soon!