“Sunday Brunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Sunday Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I must state that I have not stayed here overnight, but walk past it everyday for work and have always wanted to try their famed Sunday Brunch! I finally had the opportunity to go to, and was not disappointed despite the expensive price ($48 after tax). They have a selection of charcuterie, cheeses, fruits, desserts, cold salads and various types of eggs. They had a delicious maple crepe, and lacklustre waffles (grainy, not very fluffy as I've had elsewhere). Dress smartly, people enjoy wearing their Sunday best. Alcohol (e.g. mimosas) is extra, obviously.

However, I must say that for the price one would think they would have more varied food options. That is me comparing this brunch to other brunch spots that I have been to in Toronto. Again though, the selection offered was tasty, and very well presented.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
We are delighted that you enjoyed Sunday Brunch in Wilfrid’s and do appreciate your detailed review and feedback.

We hope to welcome you back one day soon.

Claude J. Sauvé

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights in the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. It is right next to possibly 7 locks to go further upstream or into the lake below. While we were there, we did the city hop on hop off bus tour and cruise tour - both very enjoyable way to quickly see the sights and learn a little about the history of Ottawa.

We saw the light show, told to us by the Concierge when we asked what else was on offer. It was the story of Canada, set to music and lit up against the Parliament House building - very effective.

Our rooms were very adequate - no lovely views out of our rooms, which was a pity, but the beds were comfortable and room large enough.

Everyone was quite helpful while we were there - but not as helpful as we have found in most the other Fairmont Hotels we have stayed in while travelling around Canada, both the east and west sides.

1 Thank flower_rose38
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
It certainly sounds as though you enjoyed your visit to our Nation’s Capital!

Our mission is to turn moments into memories and I regret that the service from our colleagues did not exceed your expectations. Please rest assured that your experience is certainly not typical of the high level of service we strive to provide to our guests each and every day.

We hope to welcome you back one day soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Chateau Laurier was the setting for a conference so I booked my stay there. It is packed with history (builder perished on the Titanic right before the hotel opened) and located alongside the locks which let boats up and down the Rideau Canal. You can walk right across the lock gates from the hotel and along the bike/walking path that takes you to the Ottawa River. I was traveling alone, but I would recommend this for couples and families. The hotel itself is full of ambience of a by-gone era and beautifully maintained. You can walk to Parliament, the market and a fantastic selection of restaurants and classy shopping.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
We are delighted that your first visit to our Ottawa was a memorable one and we look forward to welcoming you back one day soon!

Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Our short stay in Ottawa was greatly enhanced by our stay at the Chateau Laurier. The staff went out of their way to meet all of our needs in a most friendly and helpful manner. The ambiance of this famous landmark hotel is incredible. We highly recommend the Chateau to all visiting Ottawa.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

It certainly sounds as though you enjoyed your stay in Ottawa.

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

Pickering, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Being at Chateau Laurier is an experience of Ottawa itself. It's the perfect location to be in and the staff are friendly. It's close to the major attractions and eating joints. I wasn't very happy with the parking though. No other complaints. I loved the grandeur of the place. Would love to be back there for another awesome vacation with my family.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

We are delighted that your stay in Ottawa’s Castle was a memorable one!

We hope to welcome you back!

Potomac Falls, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We arrived for a one night stay and checked into the hotel okay - even enjoyed a dinner on the Terrasse. However, after getting back to our room we discovered that wifi and internet access cost almost $20/night! I know this is a pricing technique common to hotels that cater to business travelers, but I still find it a gauche grab for money. Even worse was the charge for a single local phone call for about $2. There is no indicator on the phone saying local calls are charged. This is a throwback to the 1980's when hotels would charge exorbitant rates for captive customers (pre mobile phone and laptops). Again, I feel this reflects poorly on the hotel.

The worst part of this experience was the broken AC. My wife and I woke up at 2 AM in unbearable heat when we needed our rest for the next day's journey. I was provided with a fan which helped a little bit. What didn't help was the maintenance man knocking on our door at 7AM, waking us up, to fix the AC unit.

Since I was woken up, I decided to stop by the business center to get directions to our next hotel. I was told there was a $10 charge for 15 minutes of computer time. Also, printouts were $1 per page, unless I wanted color print outs which were $3 per page. Unbelievable! I'm pretty sure all the business men and women brought their computers and had their companies pay the wifi charge, so you are only ripping off the family travelers, like us. I declined this ridiculous fee for what is provided for free in even the most inexpensive hotels.

When I checked out I was asked how my stay was. I said that it was very poor. The Front Desk Manager asked if they could do anything, I said, it would be nice if you could reduce my bill since I didn't get a good night's rest, wouldn't pay the internet/wifi fee, and wouldn't pay the charge for the business center.

I was told that it was impossible to reduce my bill, because I prepaid for the hotel room. That really makes no sense to me, but to the hotel front desk clerk, that seemed to be irrefutable evidence that nothing could be done. I prepaid for two expensive hotel rooms, but did not receive the value for that cost.

I will not stay here again. We have stayed in five hotels in Canada during our two week vacation. This was clearly the worst - outdone by Sheraton, Courtyard, Doubletree, and even Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: The walls are very thin. You can easily hear conversations in each hotel room as you walk down the...
Green Features: Perhaps I should rethink the charges for paper printouts from the business center - its possible that this done to reduce the amount of paper waste and preserve our environment. Yes, that is sarcastic.
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Mike,

I regret that we did not live up to your expectations during your recent stay in Ottawa.

I assure you that your experience is certainly not typical of the high level of service we strive to provide to all our valued guests. I do hope we have the opportunity to show you and your family the true hospitality that we are known for one day in the future.

Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Spent a weekend at the Chateau. We had a lovely weekend. We had a recently renovated room and they have done a nice job from carpet to furnishings to new art work.
Even though the hotel appeared full with a conference the service was top notch as one would expect from the Chateau.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
We are delighted that your stay in Ottawa’s Castle was a memorable one.

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor